GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The real reason Dixons is selling GC at £99"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/03/03 at 16:14
Regular
Hi Fanboys I'm back it's been an interesting few week though.

ADVERTISEMENT
Nintendo's British Retail Woes
11-MAR-03
Dixons, a large video-game retailer in Britain, announced today that it would drastically slash the price of the GameCube in its stores, a promotion that's widely seen as the final chance for Nintendo's console before the seller drops the product entirely.

The discount, which takes effect starting this week, will bring the Cube system down to 99 pounds (about $159) in Dixons, PC World and Currys stores across Britain, three chains which together account for 20 percent of current Nintendo console sales in the region. This is a 25-percent discount over the 130 pounds it normally costs, which is just a smidge below the MSRP of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox in the U.K.

Dixons spokesman Hamish Thompson told the Reuters news service that sales of the GameCube, which comes with one free game in the U.K., will likely determine whether the retailer continues stocking it in the future. "It really depends on customer demand," he said. The store will continue carrying the Game Boy Advance no matter what happens.

Nintendo of Europe claims it has sold 1.5 million GameCube consoles since the system launched across the continent last May. This puts it slightly behind the Xbox and way, way behind the PS2, which dominates 80 percent of European console sales
Fri 21/03/03 at 17:15
"The Will of D."
Top score wrote:
> Insane Bartender wrote:
> And yet you were the first to celebrate the "record GTAVC
> pre-orders".
>
>
> Hypocrite.
>
> I would like to know when and where I posted a text about pre-orders
> of VC because I don't remember ever doing that. As I have said
> pre-orders don't mean s**t unless you are a desperate Ninty Fanboy.
>
> The only figure you and the Xbox fanboys need to worry about is that
> PS2 controls 80% of European sales.

Ahem, who are you calling a fanboy? I respect everyones choice of what console they bought and I don't gloat over the decrease of sales of the other consoles games.

So that doesn't rule you out of being a fanboy a Topscore, you were brought up as a Sony Fanboy and you will die a Sony Fanboy.
Fri 21/03/03 at 15:27
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Why did you pop this?
Fri 21/03/03 at 15:23
"For the horde!!!!"
Cyclone wrote:
> They're realised low price = High sales.
>
> Clever people.

purhapes the golf cources were shut due to repairs and the fat cats looked at the company sales figures for once.
Thu 20/03/03 at 20:46
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
For a topic entitled "The real reason Dixons is selling GC at £99" you have suprising little (none infact) insight into Dixons motivation... simply a vague statement that the future of Cubes being sold in Dixons stores is uncertain. Basically information we already know. Basically a topic we've probably all read more times than we care to remember. Basically spam.
Thu 20/03/03 at 20:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
They're realised low price = High sales.

Clever people.
Thu 20/03/03 at 20:00
Regular
I was sitting in regi this morning and had a premonition whilst looking out the window. I thought, "Top Scores gonna post a fanboy topic today"
Yes, I'm sad enough to think about SR when I'm NOT on the internet...
Thu 20/03/03 at 19:55
Regular
Blah blah blah.. old news. GameCube is second place, yes behind the PS2 but ahead of the Xbox. Dixons have no said they'll probably stick with the GC now. So that is that.
Thu 20/03/03 at 19:54
Regular
argos are selling it for 80+plus game+controler+Memory card
Thu 20/03/03 at 18:22
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
The real reason Top Score's ~girlfriend~ is selling at £5 per night...
Thu 20/03/03 at 18:21
"For the horde!!!!"
Azul wrote:
> TopScores girlfriend must have been the one he rated his TopWhore.

or topless wh..*cough*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.