GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Films - Another Perspective"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/12/01 at 09:55
Regular
We have come a long way since the days of Frankenstein or Henry V in terms of films. Now, we have mind-blowing special effects, accompanied by crisp sound and better acting (most of the time). Now there are DVD, which was a huge technilogical advancement and a landmark in technology. Never before had the general public been able to view films every time they watched them at quality that is worthy of a TV station. Never before have we been able to look at our favourite trailers or at "On Location" special featurettes. However, what if DVD's were stretched even more and an even better technilogical advancement was made? I'm talking about extras on DVDs.

The average DVD features the film, 1 or 2 trailers, possibly a featurette or two. Now, not to sound ungrateful, (so don't take me the wrong way) but what if there were more in-depth extras that literally put you into the heart of the film. Personally, I would love multiple camera angles in films. Imagine watching Terminator 2 with multiple camera angles - the possibilities are endless! I think DVDs would be a lot more popular than they already are if that were to happen. Of course, in theory, that is easily achievable, but in practise, that's a different story. If multiple camera angles was available, producers would have to put 2,3 or 4 different versions of the film on the DVD, and invent a little programme that allows you to switch between scenes. Another extra that would be interesting is an extended commentary feature, where you get commentary from every character in the film, possibly a few of the main extras. That would also take up a lot of space on the DVD, so high-density DVD's would have to be made. Last time I heard, Japan have already invented a 10 GB disc! Finally, I would be really impressed if there was a "music-only" version of the film, where all the dialogue is cut and just the music plays, a la Alien.

This could be made a lot easier with Interactive TV. With Interactive TV, there would be no limit to the ammount of video! I think there should be a special remote, where you press a certain button, and you activate a certain feature (all the buttons would be labelled!). When you press the button, a signal is sent down to the studio, who activate the feature. It would be a difficult precedure, but work in the end. The camera angles feature would be a bit jumpy, as the signal takes time to arrive, but the rest should be fine. It would an expensive start-up charge for the TV channel, but I'm sure that it would attract enough members to gain that money (with a subscription). It will be interesting to see what 2002 holds for technological advancement for films.

We are the future!
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sun 16/12/01 at 09:55
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
We have come a long way since the days of Frankenstein or Henry V in terms of films. Now, we have mind-blowing special effects, accompanied by crisp sound and better acting (most of the time). Now there are DVD, which was a huge technilogical advancement and a landmark in technology. Never before had the general public been able to view films every time they watched them at quality that is worthy of a TV station. Never before have we been able to look at our favourite trailers or at "On Location" special featurettes. However, what if DVD's were stretched even more and an even better technilogical advancement was made? I'm talking about extras on DVDs.

The average DVD features the film, 1 or 2 trailers, possibly a featurette or two. Now, not to sound ungrateful, (so don't take me the wrong way) but what if there were more in-depth extras that literally put you into the heart of the film. Personally, I would love multiple camera angles in films. Imagine watching Terminator 2 with multiple camera angles - the possibilities are endless! I think DVDs would be a lot more popular than they already are if that were to happen. Of course, in theory, that is easily achievable, but in practise, that's a different story. If multiple camera angles was available, producers would have to put 2,3 or 4 different versions of the film on the DVD, and invent a little programme that allows you to switch between scenes. Another extra that would be interesting is an extended commentary feature, where you get commentary from every character in the film, possibly a few of the main extras. That would also take up a lot of space on the DVD, so high-density DVD's would have to be made. Last time I heard, Japan have already invented a 10 GB disc! Finally, I would be really impressed if there was a "music-only" version of the film, where all the dialogue is cut and just the music plays, a la Alien.

This could be made a lot easier with Interactive TV. With Interactive TV, there would be no limit to the ammount of video! I think there should be a special remote, where you press a certain button, and you activate a certain feature (all the buttons would be labelled!). When you press the button, a signal is sent down to the studio, who activate the feature. It would be a difficult precedure, but work in the end. The camera angles feature would be a bit jumpy, as the signal takes time to arrive, but the rest should be fine. It would an expensive start-up charge for the TV channel, but I'm sure that it would attract enough members to gain that money (with a subscription). It will be interesting to see what 2002 holds for technological advancement for films.

We are the future!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.