GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do graphics matter ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/12/01 at 22:29
Regular
This isn't original, I know.
But do graphics matter. Graphics make a a game more realistic, but they don't matter when it comes down to gaming. Addictive gaming and fun gaming is what is needed so if a game has brilliant grahics but lousy gameplay, it isn't much of a good game. Pac Man, for example is an absoloute classic, and is definately fun and VERY addictive.
Tetris is another example, one of the best ideas ever. Fun, addictive and can get tricky in later levels.
Nowadays....if a game has lousy graphics, it is normally boring. Graphics are now important and make games what they are. But people should never forget classics like Pac Man, Tetris, Galaxian and Dig Dug.
So, nowadays, now technology is advanced, graphics do matter and make a game what it is. People wouldn't buy many games otherwise.
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:29
Regular
This isn't original, I know.
But do graphics matter. Graphics make a a game more realistic, but they don't matter when it comes down to gaming. Addictive gaming and fun gaming is what is needed so if a game has brilliant grahics but lousy gameplay, it isn't much of a good game. Pac Man, for example is an absoloute classic, and is definately fun and VERY addictive.
Tetris is another example, one of the best ideas ever. Fun, addictive and can get tricky in later levels.
Nowadays....if a game has lousy graphics, it is normally boring. Graphics are now important and make games what they are. But people should never forget classics like Pac Man, Tetris, Galaxian and Dig Dug.
So, nowadays, now technology is advanced, graphics do matter and make a game what it is. People wouldn't buy many games otherwise.
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:32
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Whether conciously or not, aesthetics of a game make a MAJOR impression on us whether or not to buy a game.

Graphics definately add something to a game, but primarily it's the gameplay that makes a game great.

As far as the future of games goes, yes graphics do matter, because the processors and chips involved in games consoles SHOULD be able to handle fantastic graphics as well as the various other aspects of games.
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:32
Regular
Yes they do matter. Gameplay more, but nowadays you aren't gonna be happy if you've payed £40 for an ugly game.
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:35
Regular
"I like cheese"
They definitely matter, as they can actually add to the level of gameplay.
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:38
Regular
Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a looker !
Brilliant graphics !
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:43
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I think the point is, you can't hide a shoddy game behind flash visuals. You need to have all elements in there, and yes, graphics are one of the key area's of modern and future games.
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:57
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
I remember a great game on the 086 DOS that had no graphics! Yes I typed that right, no graphics at all! It was a text based game. It was like reading a story, it would describe what was around you, then you would type certain things in, and the game would respond! The game was called Wombat! It was a great game, but these days graphics do matter.

How much graphics matter depends on a number of things. Such as genre, you wouldn’t expect games like Mario to have graphic like Resident Evil and vice-versa. It just wouldn’t look right. Yeah it could be done, but it would no longer be a Mario game.

Another thing graphics tend to depend on is gameplay. This may not seem it at first as graphics are part of the gameplay, but that is the reason itself. Different gameplay requires different graphics. For example puzzlers tend to have simple graphics, so to make it easy to visualise the problem.
Sun 16/12/01 at 05:14
I've played a game like that before but I can't remember what it was. These days though that's what most people look at is the graphics. If a game doesn't have good graphics on the box with a good trailer most people don't even think about buying it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.