GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The troubles of gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/12/01 at 21:55
Regular
The trouble of gaming is when you lose to someone who’s never played a game in his or her life.

I have been practising my skill at Dead Or Alive 2 ever since I got the game on its release date for the PlayStation 2. After practising so hard and for so long, I thought perhaps I could test my skill; against the computer is not really a challenge. I mean…beating the computer is one thing, beating the living, well…you know the rest.
So anyway, I asked some mates to come over. Obviously out of friendship, but still, I really wanted to play DOA2 against someone for a change. To make the long story short, I won. I won again, then again...then again. After my friends went home that day, I gave up on playing against other players. I went back to playing against the CPU, but after a while, I became bored again and funny enough…the thing that gulled me the most was that I could beat whoever I asked to play, so I put the game away and it buried with dust on my shelve for who know's how long, (not literally – I am very particular in taking care of my things, especially PS2 games - laughs).
So time passed, nobody wanted to play me. Even my two older brothers, who have never even played or seen DOA2 before, didn’t want to play a couple of battles either.
I was sooooo bored.

Then I heard of a small shop around my area, where you can play all you want – no charge, and simply prove your skill to the world. Okay...perhaps not to the whole world, but definitely to anyone witnessing what was going on.
Since I was new to this at the time, I thought to myself, “Sure, why not, it looks like fun”. I played and I conquered. (Please don’t get the expression that I am boasting, because I pity those who do - no offence though).
Anyway, these people I played against were not just any PS2 gamer you see at your local Special Reserve store. Yes…there were SR members at the store that I mingled with, but it’s funny, there is nobody at the site I can remember, since I was so naïve to ask for their code-names on the GAD site. Oh, um…the store I play at is situated in Barnet, Wood Street, London called Turbo - just in case any of you were wondering, or would like to check the joint out. It’s a small place, but satisfying, with a peaceful atmosphere, and everyone is nice to you there. These people at the shop are so into gaming; you get respected as if you are King of The World if you are a DOA2 or Tekken Tag Champion. (Forgive my horrendous babbling, but…that’s me – lol).
So I met a lot of new friends at this place, and by playing against them so much in DOA2, I suddenly got the hang of the controls once more. Very recently, I asked my brother if he would like a couple of games. He accepted the challenge. I was completely shocked. I was expecting a, “No thanks bro, I am going to be quite busy all evening, and besides, I am so knackered”. But it’s funny, he agreed.
So I excitedly set up the game, waiting for the first counter-attack to commence.
And would you believe it? My brother…who has never in his entire life ever played DOA2 before…who hardly knows about the console industry…who isn’t even into videogames…beat me. I was so embarrassed from this extreme outlet, that only one thing was left in my mind…

My brother must have practised in the same shop as I did.

“Don’t you just hate it when that happens”.

PS Let’s keep this between us (laughs)
Sun 16/12/01 at 12:37
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Thanks Ant.

I'm not sure if I am allowed or supposed to reply to GAD members on here if I am trying to win, because I understand that it's the same as supporting your own topic, and even though I have made quite a few, I still don't know how it works; whether or not I am allowed to reply to messages, or if it's for other GAD members use only.

Anyway Ant, I would just like to say thank you for reading my topic. It's nice see that you found it amusing.

Thanks dude.
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:27
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I hate deliberately going easy on somebody (e.g allowing them to get 2 goals back when your 2 up) and they end up beating you.

A few times now i've gone easy and then been beaten at the last minute. Both embarrassing and infuriating!
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:03
Regular
"I like cheese"
My then 5-year-old sister beat my 13-year-old friend on Tekken Tag. He was embarrassed to say the least. {:)

Nice topic though, made me laugh.
Sat 15/12/01 at 21:55
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
The trouble of gaming is when you lose to someone who’s never played a game in his or her life.

I have been practising my skill at Dead Or Alive 2 ever since I got the game on its release date for the PlayStation 2. After practising so hard and for so long, I thought perhaps I could test my skill; against the computer is not really a challenge. I mean…beating the computer is one thing, beating the living, well…you know the rest.
So anyway, I asked some mates to come over. Obviously out of friendship, but still, I really wanted to play DOA2 against someone for a change. To make the long story short, I won. I won again, then again...then again. After my friends went home that day, I gave up on playing against other players. I went back to playing against the CPU, but after a while, I became bored again and funny enough…the thing that gulled me the most was that I could beat whoever I asked to play, so I put the game away and it buried with dust on my shelve for who know's how long, (not literally – I am very particular in taking care of my things, especially PS2 games - laughs).
So time passed, nobody wanted to play me. Even my two older brothers, who have never even played or seen DOA2 before, didn’t want to play a couple of battles either.
I was sooooo bored.

Then I heard of a small shop around my area, where you can play all you want – no charge, and simply prove your skill to the world. Okay...perhaps not to the whole world, but definitely to anyone witnessing what was going on.
Since I was new to this at the time, I thought to myself, “Sure, why not, it looks like fun”. I played and I conquered. (Please don’t get the expression that I am boasting, because I pity those who do - no offence though).
Anyway, these people I played against were not just any PS2 gamer you see at your local Special Reserve store. Yes…there were SR members at the store that I mingled with, but it’s funny, there is nobody at the site I can remember, since I was so naïve to ask for their code-names on the GAD site. Oh, um…the store I play at is situated in Barnet, Wood Street, London called Turbo - just in case any of you were wondering, or would like to check the joint out. It’s a small place, but satisfying, with a peaceful atmosphere, and everyone is nice to you there. These people at the shop are so into gaming; you get respected as if you are King of The World if you are a DOA2 or Tekken Tag Champion. (Forgive my horrendous babbling, but…that’s me – lol).
So I met a lot of new friends at this place, and by playing against them so much in DOA2, I suddenly got the hang of the controls once more. Very recently, I asked my brother if he would like a couple of games. He accepted the challenge. I was completely shocked. I was expecting a, “No thanks bro, I am going to be quite busy all evening, and besides, I am so knackered”. But it’s funny, he agreed.
So I excitedly set up the game, waiting for the first counter-attack to commence.
And would you believe it? My brother…who has never in his entire life ever played DOA2 before…who hardly knows about the console industry…who isn’t even into videogames…beat me. I was so embarrassed from this extreme outlet, that only one thing was left in my mind…

My brother must have practised in the same shop as I did.

“Don’t you just hate it when that happens”.

PS Let’s keep this between us (laughs)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.