GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hmmm..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/03/03 at 10:42
Regular
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/reviews/2868101.stm
Fri 21/03/03 at 18:21
Regular
Ignore it.

So what if a bloody BBC journalist did'nt like it? If YOU like it, thats all that matters. Forget listening to reviews from a television company who thinks they know everything.

Heck, some people praised Halo. Others did'nt.

Play the Games you like kids.
Fri 21/03/03 at 17:45
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
...and that's why we post links.

And no one would ever expect this response from the Nintendo forum. Oh no. Never. Ever.
Fri 21/03/03 at 17:19
Regular
"*Has wind*"
Nintendo's GameCube continues to be the most overlooked of the three gaming giants currently battling it out for world supremacy.
Part of the problem is the lingering suspicion that the little cube is for children.

This perception is not helped by a wealth of first party titles from Nintendo that, while excellent, are aimed at the younger end of the gaming age spectrum.

When is an FPS not an FPS?
So hopes are high for Metroid Prime, particularly as Nintendo itself now recognises it needs to pitch the machine at an older audience.

On first impressions, the game comes across as a first person shooter (FPS) in the mould of Halo on the Xbox, or Red Faction on the PlayStation 2.

A futuristic adventure, your character looks out on the ruins of a crashed spaceship with a familiar-looking weapon for company.

Graphically, the game is a treat and is easily the best-looking title on the GameCube.

But the controls are counter-intuitive and take some time to get to grips with, especially having to switch between visors, which dictate whether you are scanning objects or shooting at them.

Click, click, bang

On occasion it really inhibits a sense of interaction with the world.

The combat too falls short, with targets locked onto automatically. It just becomes a case of click, click, click, explosion. But Metroid is not designed to be a FPS.

Combat is very simplistic
If anything, the game is one of exploration. You must scan your environment, looking for clues and ways to access new levels.

The puzzles, however, are pretty basic and there is little incentive to keep moving forward, other than to be given a fresh new graphical treat.

The key problem is that the game falls between two stools.

FPS fans will recoil at the simplistic and unrewarding targeting system and the reliance on scanning endless numbers of objects, while platform fans may find the first person viewpoint unfamiliar and awkward.

And that is a pity, because the energy and creativity put into the game is tremendous and there is a great amount of depth.

But you will only discover that depth if you have the tenacity to find it and I was greatly put off.

Sometimes re-writing the rules of a genre pays off, and sometimes it does not.

Metroid Prime came close to the former but ultimately achievers the latter.

there it is
Fri 21/03/03 at 17:16
Regular
"everyone says it"
Darren Waters is an idiot.

Completely stupid.

He is actually thick.

THICK.
Fri 21/03/03 at 16:51
Regular
heh...........................i dont get it
Fri 21/03/03 at 16:27
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> I would go with the majority.

I'm suprised you're not a PS2 fanboy then :D
Fri 21/03/03 at 16:18
Regular
Oh, and now I've read it.

It's possibly the worst written review I've ever seen, two sentence paragraphs? I've seen eight year olds write better.

The whole things takes about 50 seconds to read, hardly in-depth is it?
Fri 21/03/03 at 16:15
Regular
I would go with the majority.

And the majority of reviews by multi-format websites say it's better than Halo.

If you like, I can find a review that says Halo is crap, but what would be the point?
Fri 21/03/03 at 14:09
Regular
A BBC journalist didn't like it.

Quick everyone, cancel your orders.
Fri 21/03/03 at 12:25
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
The guys either a Sony agent or just a retard, though those two seem to go hand in hand...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.