GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Back to square one......"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/12/01 at 21:00
Regular
Everybody here should know about nokia`s latest attempts at handheld entertainment,by bringing simple games on mobiles out.Theses include games like the highly acclaimed *snake*,and an asteroids rip-off.All of these games are very popular,and nokia are focusing tremendously on a new RPG style game called dino-island,a pokemon-esque game,with the emphasis on collecting *cute* dinosaurs and training and battling them against other nokia owners.
"Whats so bad about that" i hear you cry,well as we are moving rapidly into a world full of photo-realistic games,nokia decide to make simple,Tetris graphics style games,and the shocking thing is,many people are excited by this thought.
I myself would love to play RPG`s on my phone,so you wouldn`t have to bring a GBA and a mobile to say,school.But is this really what we want?If nokia are succsesful,nintendo MAY give up on the handheld industry,and give there crown to nokia.Then we would only have simple graphic portable games,and people would lose interest in them after a while,possibly meaning the sad demise of portable games.
I really can`t imagine a world without the likes of the gameboy,it has done so much in the way we think of gaming.The handheld industry was the first of it`s kind.
This is only my opinion,think what you like,but this could happen.......
Sat 15/12/01 at 21:57
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
The Gameboy was absoloutely revoloutionary. Regardless of whether the concept was completely new, Nintendo made it work, and the Gameboy will always be remembered for the tremendous mark it has made on the gaming industry.

I don't see phone's replacing handhelds, but they do offer an alternative way of playing. As previously mentioned, it's more convienient to carry around a phone than having to carry both a phone AND a handheld. The games are addictive, simplistic, and good aditions to what is primarily a lifestyle tool.

Nokia can't possibly even EXPECT to compete. The chances of this ever happening are VERY slim. The only company who may possibly consider attempting to compete with Nintendo are Sony who have always spoken of their interest in mobilising their games systems PROPERLY. (a proper handheld as opposed to a PSone type system)
Sat 15/12/01 at 21:14
Regular
good topic
Sat 15/12/01 at 21:10
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I do admit, I find games for mobiles quite addictive, but that's the same issue with Gameboys. Like most games we play, we play mobile games 'cos maybe we're bored on a bus or something. The fact that you can carry something playable around with you, and something so small makes you admire the fact.

No way can mobiles (especially Nokia) produce something as unique as a Gameboy does. RPG or no RPG, it doesn't have the engine or capabilities that most popular handhelds contain.
Sat 15/12/01 at 21:05
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
There's no chance mobiles can take over the Gameboy image..well, that is unless Bill Gates has something in mind.
Sat 15/12/01 at 21:00
Everybody here should know about nokia`s latest attempts at handheld entertainment,by bringing simple games on mobiles out.Theses include games like the highly acclaimed *snake*,and an asteroids rip-off.All of these games are very popular,and nokia are focusing tremendously on a new RPG style game called dino-island,a pokemon-esque game,with the emphasis on collecting *cute* dinosaurs and training and battling them against other nokia owners.
"Whats so bad about that" i hear you cry,well as we are moving rapidly into a world full of photo-realistic games,nokia decide to make simple,Tetris graphics style games,and the shocking thing is,many people are excited by this thought.
I myself would love to play RPG`s on my phone,so you wouldn`t have to bring a GBA and a mobile to say,school.But is this really what we want?If nokia are succsesful,nintendo MAY give up on the handheld industry,and give there crown to nokia.Then we would only have simple graphic portable games,and people would lose interest in them after a while,possibly meaning the sad demise of portable games.
I really can`t imagine a world without the likes of the gameboy,it has done so much in the way we think of gaming.The handheld industry was the first of it`s kind.
This is only my opinion,think what you like,but this could happen.......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.