GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"One Small Step For Sonic, One Giant Leap For Hedgehog"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Sonic Mega Collection'.
Fri 21/03/03 at 19:45
Regular
You see, it was reported this week that Sonic Team have decided they want to make Sonic big, again. Yes that Blue Hedgehog was a hit back in the 90’s (oh so long ago) when the Mega Drive was in full swing, in fact he was seen as one of the kings of 2D Platformers. The fast, fun, non-stop action appealed as an alternative to Nintendo’s efforts. Sonic also had alot more style then Mario, it was cool to like Sonic. But since then it seems old Sonic has become part of the fate all Hedgehogs (well most) receive at sometime - he got run over. Ever since Sega decided to go from 2D to 3D it all went wrong, Sonic just wasn’t the same anymore, he had lost the battle of the mascots. Mario, Nintendo’s main man, however was a big hit in the 3D world.

I thought it was a bit strange all these Sonic games coming about recently. I don’t know about you but my interest has certainly increased in the little fella and the games he features in. Sonic Advance is a great game, whilst Sonic Mega Collection is tempting me like anything. The same with Sonic Advance 2. So what’s going on here is that 2D Sonic games are becoming a big hit again, whilst titles like Sonic Adventure Battle aren’t doing too well. In the GameCube chart (SR style) Sonic Mega Collection holds the number six spot, whilst Battle holds eighteenth. The compilation of old Sonic games is more popular then the new 3D style ones, even though they intend to release Sonic DX (which is basically the original Sonic Adventure) on the Cube soon. Also, games like Sonic Advance 1 & 2 are getting great scores from Magazines, websites etc. Sonic X and Sonic Trick Series is a possibility from Sonic team while Sonic Pinball Party is being shown at E3.

*takes a breath*

Phew! SO MUCH SONIC! And Sonic Team want to “Make Sonic as big as Pokemon”. But the question is, can this be done? Can Sonic be made as big as Pokemon? And I’ll have you know, Pokemon was MASSIVE. You had a large percentage of the world population playing their Gameboy’s like crazed robots. You had children in a handful of country’s watching the cartoon and even crying to it (well my Sister did…). You had people in Playgrounds, in Streets, swapping cards. It was Pokemon Mania!

And Sonic Team are telling me they plan to make Sonic do the same, not only in Japan but also overseas? Are they mental!?!

So are Sonic Team and Sega going to go about this? How are they going to wrap peoples minds, like Pokemon did, to make them go to shops and hand them over money?

Have you seen the Sonic cartoon? It’s nowhere near as good as the Pokemon cartoon and doesn’t have the give the same attachment to the characters Pokemon did. It just isn’t as good. Sonic is very cocky and up himself aswell. So that won’t work.

1-0 Pokemon.

Cards. I can imagine people trying to collect these cards Sonic stylee. The thing is, will it have enough characters to do this? Things like these need alot of characters for you to collect, but what does Sonic have? Sonic, Tails, Cream, Knuckles, Amy…erm…Amy.

“Hey man, wanna swap some Sonic cards?”
“Yeah cool”
“Got any rare ones?”
“Yeah loads”
“Ok, go through them...got…got…got…got…got…got…got…”
“Go through yours…got…got…got…got…got…got…got…”
“Oh didn’t I tell you I completed the set by buying one pack?”

Sonic – Gotta catch ‘em all…all six of them.

Do you remember Tamagotchi’s? Virtual Pet’s used to be a big thing. One interesting thing Sonic has are Chao’s. They are little Alien type things which you have to find via a next-gen game and then you take care of them on a portable device or in 3D if you wish. This will be used to Sonic Teams advantage when they decided to push Sonic into full throttle. It’s the coolest part of Sonic, yet sadly I don’t think it will work. Only Japanese kids will be interested in this sort of thing, whipping out your Chao as a school kid in Britain just won’t go down as well. Virtual Pet’s just can’t make a comeback, or can they? We’ll see.

If this doesn’t work Sonic needs something big, they’ll have to come up with something. The biggest thing about Pokemon was the battles and that made the cards work well aswell with all the battling which went on with them. I can’t see Sonic and pals battling though. In Sonic games the characters can only Jump, Spin and Run. Also they can do one attack move, which is a kind of slash thing. Let me tell you this, a Pokemon could batter Sonic in battle.

“Sonic I choose you!”
“Pikachu I choose you!”
“Sonic SPIN ATTACK!”
“Pikachu SHOCK ATTACK!”
“Sonic SPIN ATTACK!”
“Pikachu SURF ATTACK!”
“Sonic SPIN ATTACK!”
“Excuse me, don’t you do any other moves?”
“Er…SONIC…JUMP ATTACK!”

It’s like my Mum playing a Beat-em-up. Kick…Kick…Kick…Kick. But you know, sometimes she wins. But can Sonic be a winner in trying to achieve fame? I know, I know, it won’t be AS big as Pokemon but is there any chance Sonic can be resurrected from the retro gaming depths? It seems to be working quite well with Sonic Mega Collection etc doesn’t it, I mean I want one of those Miles Tail’s toys, I love the little guy, but that’s another story.

I wonder if when I’m older and talking about trends if Sonic will at anytime pop up. At the moment I’m not seeing it, but you never know. It could be Sega’s big chance to make the money they actually really deserve and could indeed help in our dreams for a future Sega console.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 21/03/03 at 19:45
"Uzi Lover"
You see, it was reported this week that Sonic Team have decided they want to make Sonic big, again. Yes that Blue Hedgehog was a hit back in the 90’s (oh so long ago) when the Mega Drive was in full swing, in fact he was seen as one of the kings of 2D Platformers. The fast, fun, non-stop action appealed as an alternative to Nintendo’s efforts. Sonic also had alot more style then Mario, it was cool to like Sonic. But since then it seems old Sonic has become part of the fate all Hedgehogs (well most) receive at sometime - he got run over. Ever since Sega decided to go from 2D to 3D it all went wrong, Sonic just wasn’t the same anymore, he had lost the battle of the mascots. Mario, Nintendo’s main man, however was a big hit in the 3D world.

I thought it was a bit strange all these Sonic games coming about recently. I don’t know about you but my interest has certainly increased in the little fella and the games he features in. Sonic Advance is a great game, whilst Sonic Mega Collection is tempting me like anything. The same with Sonic Advance 2. So what’s going on here is that 2D Sonic games are becoming a big hit again, whilst titles like Sonic Adventure Battle aren’t doing too well. In the GameCube chart (SR style) Sonic Mega Collection holds the number six spot, whilst Battle holds eighteenth. The compilation of old Sonic games is more popular then the new 3D style ones, even though they intend to release Sonic DX (which is basically the original Sonic Adventure) on the Cube soon. Also, games like Sonic Advance 1 & 2 are getting great scores from Magazines, websites etc. Sonic X and Sonic Trick Series is a possibility from Sonic team while Sonic Pinball Party is being shown at E3.

*takes a breath*

Phew! SO MUCH SONIC! And Sonic Team want to “Make Sonic as big as Pokemon”. But the question is, can this be done? Can Sonic be made as big as Pokemon? And I’ll have you know, Pokemon was MASSIVE. You had a large percentage of the world population playing their Gameboy’s like crazed robots. You had children in a handful of country’s watching the cartoon and even crying to it (well my Sister did…). You had people in Playgrounds, in Streets, swapping cards. It was Pokemon Mania!

And Sonic Team are telling me they plan to make Sonic do the same, not only in Japan but also overseas? Are they mental!?!

So are Sonic Team and Sega going to go about this? How are they going to wrap peoples minds, like Pokemon did, to make them go to shops and hand them over money?

Have you seen the Sonic cartoon? It’s nowhere near as good as the Pokemon cartoon and doesn’t have the give the same attachment to the characters Pokemon did. It just isn’t as good. Sonic is very cocky and up himself aswell. So that won’t work.

1-0 Pokemon.

Cards. I can imagine people trying to collect these cards Sonic stylee. The thing is, will it have enough characters to do this? Things like these need alot of characters for you to collect, but what does Sonic have? Sonic, Tails, Cream, Knuckles, Amy…erm…Amy.

“Hey man, wanna swap some Sonic cards?”
“Yeah cool”
“Got any rare ones?”
“Yeah loads”
“Ok, go through them...got…got…got…got…got…got…got…”
“Go through yours…got…got…got…got…got…got…got…”
“Oh didn’t I tell you I completed the set by buying one pack?”

Sonic – Gotta catch ‘em all…all six of them.

Do you remember Tamagotchi’s? Virtual Pet’s used to be a big thing. One interesting thing Sonic has are Chao’s. They are little Alien type things which you have to find via a next-gen game and then you take care of them on a portable device or in 3D if you wish. This will be used to Sonic Teams advantage when they decided to push Sonic into full throttle. It’s the coolest part of Sonic, yet sadly I don’t think it will work. Only Japanese kids will be interested in this sort of thing, whipping out your Chao as a school kid in Britain just won’t go down as well. Virtual Pet’s just can’t make a comeback, or can they? We’ll see.

If this doesn’t work Sonic needs something big, they’ll have to come up with something. The biggest thing about Pokemon was the battles and that made the cards work well aswell with all the battling which went on with them. I can’t see Sonic and pals battling though. In Sonic games the characters can only Jump, Spin and Run. Also they can do one attack move, which is a kind of slash thing. Let me tell you this, a Pokemon could batter Sonic in battle.

“Sonic I choose you!”
“Pikachu I choose you!”
“Sonic SPIN ATTACK!”
“Pikachu SHOCK ATTACK!”
“Sonic SPIN ATTACK!”
“Pikachu SURF ATTACK!”
“Sonic SPIN ATTACK!”
“Excuse me, don’t you do any other moves?”
“Er…SONIC…JUMP ATTACK!”

It’s like my Mum playing a Beat-em-up. Kick…Kick…Kick…Kick. But you know, sometimes she wins. But can Sonic be a winner in trying to achieve fame? I know, I know, it won’t be AS big as Pokemon but is there any chance Sonic can be resurrected from the retro gaming depths? It seems to be working quite well with Sonic Mega Collection etc doesn’t it, I mean I want one of those Miles Tail’s toys, I love the little guy, but that’s another story.

I wonder if when I’m older and talking about trends if Sonic will at anytime pop up. At the moment I’m not seeing it, but you never know. It could be Sega’s big chance to make the money they actually really deserve and could indeed help in our dreams for a future Sega console.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.