GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Life After Death"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/12/01 at 14:22
Regular
I saw a report in the paper yesterday about miracles of people being bought back to life after being clinically dead. Some of these people claim to have seen what the afterlife is like. These people apparently had NDEs (Near Death Experiences). This got me thinking, what if there was life after death in games?

No, this is probably not what you're thinking about. I'm not going to talk about the death of games consoles and how they can be resurrected when you clear the dust from the shelf (could be my next topic!) - I'm going to talk about dying in a game, and then taking control of the ghost of the deceased. What if when you're at the last level against Liquid Snake, you get a bullet to the head, fall to the floor dead, but you can still be a ghost and kill Liquid, or at the least, fly around like a little Casper. What if when the gangster beats you to death with your own shoes, you can ressurrect and give him a wedgy. That would be a decent feature and I would buy more games, had this feature been available. LAD (Life After Death) would open up an intirely new realm of gaming, which would be revolutionary in it's own right. I have an idea that you should be able to toggle whether you want "Ghost Mode" enabled or not, so no type of gamer is annoyed. LAD has been partially achieved already.

Unreal Tournament is a classic game, probably the best online shooter ever on the PC, heck, on any console or computer. When you are killed in UT, you simply see your figure on the ground, but you can zoom out slightly. Since the days of UT, Infogrammes have released "Tactical Ops", the add-on to UT. TO is intended for online play, but you can pit off against bots offline. When you die on this game, you switch to the "ghost cam", where you can move around and survey the carnage - TO is now on my "to get" list in terms of games. Quake 3 has incorporated the "When you are killed, you simply see your figure on the ground, but you can zoom out slightly" theory with their latest titles, and even before UT was released. However, what problems would LAD present?

LAD would bore a lot of gamers, as, unless you're a purist, you won't be whizzing around the snowfield or Castlekeep for 20 minutes will you? It's more likely that you'd have a 2 minute look and then re-load or restart the game or turn it off. The younger gamers would be bored by it, unless they're 2 or 3, where they'd be occupied for hours by it. I think that older gamers would appreciate it more than the younger gamer. Older gamers tend to recognise the effort that actually went into the games, where younger games just never really think about how many man-hours of programming were poured into it. God created the world in 7 days you know! "Ghost Mode" would also eat up a lot of memory of CD's (currently), either making the games shorter, or expandint to a 2-disc set, which puts a lot of people off, for no apparent reason. The consoles will kick this in the rear, as they will be high-density discs. In retrospect, LAD may not be a good idea at all, when all of the technicalities are balanced out.

To me, LAD is an exciting prospect, but everything has a price and LAD may not be worth the almighty price that developers would have to pay. Every minute of every hour of every day, there is something new being though up. As the clock ticks, new ideas will be though of to battle all of the aforementioned problems, so it's possibly that LAD may come one day, but I can't see it in the foreseeable future.
Mon 17/12/01 at 17:59
i hope i win some day.
Mon 17/12/01 at 17:32
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Hey! Well done. You won GAD on your first day here congrats. You also won it on the same day as me. Lucky you! Well done!
Mon 17/12/01 at 17:10
Regular
"Digging!"
nice post
Mon 17/12/01 at 14:38
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
WOW! You are now classed as one of the top winners so far, because you just arrived and won.

Congrats dude
Sun 16/12/01 at 14:44
Regular
MJswerve wrote:
> auf deutsch wrote:
> Nice work for a just arrived...a quick learner I
> see!

Hey, hes better than you mate...what a surprise.

What, what did I say wrong ?
Im commenting him...not you!
Sun 16/12/01 at 14:20
Regular
auf deutsch wrote:
> Nice work for a just arrived...a quick learner I see!

Hey, hes better than you mate...what a surprise.
Sun 16/12/01 at 14:15
Regular
Nice work for a just arrived...a quick learner I see!
Sun 16/12/01 at 14:09
Regular
Ooh Ah Salevaa. Nice going mate. Read it yesterday and its a good topic. I still can't work out where you got that Tactical Ops info though :? :-D
Sun 16/12/01 at 12:30
Regular
Nice post there, nice to see you posting good post's around the place instead of writing useless spam like a lot of JATs do ;) Well done
Sun 16/12/01 at 12:25
Cool, nice idea.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.