GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Backing Up E-mail"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/12/01 at 13:07
Regular
I'm planning on Formating my computer and I want to keep all my E-mails I have stored in Outlook Express. How can I back these up and then put the mback into outlook once I have Re-istalled Windows and Outlook???

Thanx
Sun 16/12/01 at 18:37
I back my emails up on a regular basis like this:

Go into the following directory:

C:\windows\application data\identities\

There is a weird folder named using a string of letters and numbers. Copy that to where you want it retaining the folder information.

Then when you have formatted your drive, run Outlook Express and import messages in the file menu. Select Microsoft Outlook Express 4,5 or 6 and then on the next dialogue select import from store - the second radio button. You then point at the folder you saved and it will import them.

I have tried several ways to save and restore emails and this is the way I now use, I have lost emails in the past by not following this method - but there probably is an easier way to do it.

Hope I've helped.
Sun 16/12/01 at 13:10
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thanx, I'll give that a shot :o).
Sat 15/12/01 at 20:51
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I can't check right now because I'm in Linux but...

If you go to the import messasges thing, and select "current user" or "outlook express" or something like that, it'll ask for a path to the folder. There should be a default one already there, and that's where ALL your OE information is stored. You might also be able to find it in the options underneath "Change the location where my messages are stored" or something. Best try that first. I've done this loads of times; back up that and all will be well my son.
Sat 15/12/01 at 16:20
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Oh, but what about Sub Folders in my Outlook Express??? As I've got a few for different E-mail Addresses (Mine, Dad's etc). Will all this be uner that one index file??
Sat 15/12/01 at 16:19
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Cool, Thanx :o)
Sat 15/12/01 at 14:54
Regular
"How Handy."
there's a file somewhere called inbox.something, not very helpful am I.

Do a search for all files named inbox and back the file it finds up, that will save all your e-mails, but right down where the file was on your hdd so you can copy it back to there again.
Sat 15/12/01 at 14:31
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I says that it will export all the Messages from Microsoft Outlook Express to either Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange. What I'm after is to put all my E-mails onto a CD and then put them back on the 'poter when the formats all done

If I exported them to Microsoft Outlook, would I be able to put them on a CD from there??
Sat 15/12/01 at 13:40
Regular
"..."
i think you go> file> export> messages to save all ya messages, and file >export > address book to save ya addres book?!
Sat 15/12/01 at 13:07
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'm planning on Formating my computer and I want to keep all my E-mails I have stored in Outlook Express. How can I back these up and then put the mback into outlook once I have Re-istalled Windows and Outlook???

Thanx

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.