GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Back with a Broadband Connection!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/03/03 at 17:48
Regular
Sorry that I haven't posted on here for a while but I was in the process of switching my appauling 28.8KB/S Split Fax/Modem to a 576KB/S ADSL modem. After spending the time yesterday just gettting used to Broadband and setting it up I am finally up and running at a very fast speed. I am looking to pick up Xbox Live within the next week but I just have a few questions that I would be greatful if someone could answer. What connection do I need from my PC to my Xbox to get Xbox Live up and running? Please would someone point me in the right direction for everything that I will need to get Xbox Live up and running? Has anyone downloaded the new Splinter Cell level? If so is it any good? I will be posting a lot more now I have Broadband connection setup. Thanks for the help.
Sat 22/03/03 at 17:48
Regular
Sorry that I haven't posted on here for a while but I was in the process of switching my appauling 28.8KB/S Split Fax/Modem to a 576KB/S ADSL modem. After spending the time yesterday just gettting used to Broadband and setting it up I am finally up and running at a very fast speed. I am looking to pick up Xbox Live within the next week but I just have a few questions that I would be greatful if someone could answer. What connection do I need from my PC to my Xbox to get Xbox Live up and running? Please would someone point me in the right direction for everything that I will need to get Xbox Live up and running? Has anyone downloaded the new Splinter Cell level? If so is it any good? I will be posting a lot more now I have Broadband connection setup. Thanks for the help.
Sat 22/03/03 at 17:57
Regular
"asdfjkl;"
I am looking to get broadband when it is available on my street, and will be looking forward to Live! also. I have been trying to get my head around the way in which you need to set xbox live! up, so that you can use xbox live, internet on the pc and using the phone simultaneously. To this day I still don't quite understand but I gather you need to set up a network between the devices you would like to use, the phone, pc internet and xbox live! etc.

Check out this page, this is what I have read to gain a some understanding of the matter, it refers to setting up a router and a few other strange things, read this page and the others that link from it, it should help:P

http://www.xbox.com/uk/live/start/connect/homenetwork.htm
Sat 22/03/03 at 18:38
"slightlyshortertagl"
A Cross over-cable between the PC and XBox is the only hardware that you need, unless you have some sort of home network or if you don't want to have to have your PC on while playing Live. Other than that it's pretty simple. www.xbox.com sould sort things out :-D
Sat 22/03/03 at 19:17
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Sorry that I haven't posted on here for a while but I was in the
> process of switching my appauling 28.8KB/S Split Fax/Modem to a
> 576KB/S ADSL modem.

Can't believe you had a 28.8 modem as 56K modems are cheaper than water these days. Nice to have 512K connection isn't it? ADSL modems are weird as the actual rate is 512/256 even though the data rate you connect to is 576/288, yet the line rate is 608/320.

Go to www.adslguide.org.uk/ (SPACE) tools/speedtest.asp and see what speed you get. You should get about 470+K download and 250K upload of useful data(not including the over heads). Its best to try and tweak your connection via MTU and RWIN values so that you can get the best out of your connection.
Sat 22/03/03 at 19:22
Regular
"Gtag=NOTORIOUS JCP"
i downloaded the splinter cell level last week and its the same as all the other levels.
Sat 22/03/03 at 21:36
Regular
Cheers for the help guys! I will go and try that now adrian and see what results I get. HalloHowArtThou I will go to Xbox.com now and see what I will need to get Live up and running. I can't believe how fast the modem is and web pages load instantly.
Sat 22/03/03 at 21:39
"slightlyshortertagl"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I can't believe how fast
> the modem is and web pages load instantly.

It's lovely isn't it?

I made the switch in November :-D
Sat 22/03/03 at 22:33
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Good to see you back mate - have to meet up on Live soon. ;-)
Sun 23/03/03 at 00:22
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I hope Xbox Live doesn't upset your GCSE revision Alastair! :P

Have a ball on Live, I would.

PS- I too have a 28.8kbps modem :(
Sun 23/03/03 at 11:39
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Mantis wrote:
> PS- I too have a 28.8kbps modem :(

Why dont you upgrade? A 56K modem is only £20 from SR and you will have a connection which is probably 1.5 times faster than what you have now. I know its not much and a 56K connection is really slow but its better than 28.8.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.