GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC12 - A Coachman's Tale"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/06/07 at 11:54
Regular
"not dead"
Cinderella had it easy.

Yes, I know, wicked step-mother, horrid step-sisters, household chores, but she got her Prince Charming in the end.

Me? I was one of 100 siblings. I was brought up in a sewer. I only ate what you threw away. But I didn’t mind the slime. I didn’t mind the stink. I didn’t even know the word vermin until the Fairy Godmother pointed her damned wand at me, and showed me something different.

There I was, six feet tall and on two legs, and no more fur, replaced by fine garments. And there was a pretty lady walking towards me, in the finest dress I ever did see. Instinctively, I opened the carriage door for her, and she gave me a nod of the head. Respect! Never before had someone showed a gesture so kind. My heart swelled with pride as we pulled up outside the castle, with onlookers gasping at the majesty of it all.

Even whilst waiting for Cinderella’s return everything was astounding. I got to engage in proper conversation with other men – the only words I’d previous had directed at me were cursing, often followed by screams of women, or objects flying through the air at me. We sat and ate hot food, fresh food, and we drank fine ales.

It was, without doubt, the happiest day of my life. Until midnight. Pain shot through my body, throwing me into a writhing frenzy on the floor. Men rushed over to assist, men I had been happily chatting with only moments ago, but when they arrived they were sickened by the sight. My body began to shrink back to its former size, and hair sprung from every follicle. A tail sprung from between my legs, and I was left in a pile of man clothes. I tried to call help, but could only squeak.

As I emerged from the sleeve the familiar cries rang out, “rat”, “vermin”, and a heavy boot swung into me, launching me into the flowerbed. I scurried off into the shadows, ashamed of the panicked squeaks I couldn’t stop.

Around the moat of the castle I found others of my kind, and they accepted me as one of their own. I watched over the coming days and weeks, as the Prince set out on his search, eventually finding Cinderella, and returning her to the castle as his bride. Whilst the whole kingdom cheered in jubilation, I could not share their joy. Watching well-wishers come and go, in carriages as grand the one I so briefly rode, with coachmen attired in the clothes I’d once worn, stirred up a great bile in me.

It seems, that something of man has lived on in me. I have their hate, their jealousy, and their desire for revenge. What’s more, I have seen friends grow old and die, and my children suffer the same fate, but I seem to have the longevity of man, and I have used my time well. Over the years we’ve brought a great many sicknesses to the people of the castle. We revelled in our role as disease spreaders, making sure to contaminate as much food as possible.

There came a time when I thought I would have my revenge. Cinderella, so long with child, had finally given birth to a boy. My offspring were ordered to urinate in the milk, and sickness took him. I used to spy through the cracks in the castle walls, at the baby, coughing in his crib. Cinderella’s face, so pale with worry was a tonic to me. Many life times of a rat I had lived, taunted and tainted by man, and revenge was so close. But the prince brought doctors, and medicine, and sickness once again passed.

We had to do more. So we gnaw at the very foundations of the castle, generation after generation, and our number grow ever stronger. One day we’ll bring the very castle to the ground.

And I intent to be inside when it falls.
Thu 05/07/07 at 23:36
Regular
Brilliant
Wed 04/07/07 at 07:03
Regular
Whoa. Excellent! :)
Fri 29/06/07 at 13:20
Regular
A joy to read as always and great use of the theme.

Well worth the win indeed.
Thu 28/06/07 at 09:59
"possibly impossible"
Meka, you've raised the bar yet again.

Well, apart from that one spelling mistake at the end ;)

Excellent, I love these 'fairy stories from a different viewpoint' things.
Wed 27/06/07 at 11:54
Regular
"not dead"
Cinderella had it easy.

Yes, I know, wicked step-mother, horrid step-sisters, household chores, but she got her Prince Charming in the end.

Me? I was one of 100 siblings. I was brought up in a sewer. I only ate what you threw away. But I didn’t mind the slime. I didn’t mind the stink. I didn’t even know the word vermin until the Fairy Godmother pointed her damned wand at me, and showed me something different.

There I was, six feet tall and on two legs, and no more fur, replaced by fine garments. And there was a pretty lady walking towards me, in the finest dress I ever did see. Instinctively, I opened the carriage door for her, and she gave me a nod of the head. Respect! Never before had someone showed a gesture so kind. My heart swelled with pride as we pulled up outside the castle, with onlookers gasping at the majesty of it all.

Even whilst waiting for Cinderella’s return everything was astounding. I got to engage in proper conversation with other men – the only words I’d previous had directed at me were cursing, often followed by screams of women, or objects flying through the air at me. We sat and ate hot food, fresh food, and we drank fine ales.

It was, without doubt, the happiest day of my life. Until midnight. Pain shot through my body, throwing me into a writhing frenzy on the floor. Men rushed over to assist, men I had been happily chatting with only moments ago, but when they arrived they were sickened by the sight. My body began to shrink back to its former size, and hair sprung from every follicle. A tail sprung from between my legs, and I was left in a pile of man clothes. I tried to call help, but could only squeak.

As I emerged from the sleeve the familiar cries rang out, “rat”, “vermin”, and a heavy boot swung into me, launching me into the flowerbed. I scurried off into the shadows, ashamed of the panicked squeaks I couldn’t stop.

Around the moat of the castle I found others of my kind, and they accepted me as one of their own. I watched over the coming days and weeks, as the Prince set out on his search, eventually finding Cinderella, and returning her to the castle as his bride. Whilst the whole kingdom cheered in jubilation, I could not share their joy. Watching well-wishers come and go, in carriages as grand the one I so briefly rode, with coachmen attired in the clothes I’d once worn, stirred up a great bile in me.

It seems, that something of man has lived on in me. I have their hate, their jealousy, and their desire for revenge. What’s more, I have seen friends grow old and die, and my children suffer the same fate, but I seem to have the longevity of man, and I have used my time well. Over the years we’ve brought a great many sicknesses to the people of the castle. We revelled in our role as disease spreaders, making sure to contaminate as much food as possible.

There came a time when I thought I would have my revenge. Cinderella, so long with child, had finally given birth to a boy. My offspring were ordered to urinate in the milk, and sickness took him. I used to spy through the cracks in the castle walls, at the baby, coughing in his crib. Cinderella’s face, so pale with worry was a tonic to me. Many life times of a rat I had lived, taunted and tainted by man, and revenge was so close. But the prince brought doctors, and medicine, and sickness once again passed.

We had to do more. So we gnaw at the very foundations of the castle, generation after generation, and our number grow ever stronger. One day we’ll bring the very castle to the ground.

And I intent to be inside when it falls.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.