GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[iPod Game] Fragmental 3D"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Fragmental 3D'.
Sat 25/06/11 at 20:45
Regular
"How Ironic"
"Isn't it essentially Tetris?" is the question many of you may be asking. I'm not one to play puzzle games, but I've braved through this one to give you my view.

Whilst the concept may be quite similar to the famous GameBoy puzzle game, Fragmental 3D evolves the concept by bringing in a 3D axis. Each turn, you are given a shape to fit into a 5x5 square. Each shape is 3D and can range from 4-8 bricks. You can rotate each shape 90 degrees, both clockwise and anti-clockwise, in every direction. This gives a possible 9 different positions for each shape. Create a horizontal line of 5 across anywhere on the grid, and those blocks will disspear, with any blocks above dropping down. Combos are available by linking horizontal lines in each direction as well. So to answer the question, yes, it is essentially Tetris.

The graphics are nothing to shout about. But then again, there isn't much that can be achieved with coloured blocks and a background. They are simple, neat and precise, just like the game should be, and because of the limitations of what can be achieved, they are acceptable. Aesthetic Interactive should have really thought outside of the box though (excuse the pun). For example, a simple explosion of colour each time a line dissapears would've brought some sort of excitement into the game. As it is, you are rewarded for your efforts with a horrible droopy noise, and the blocks simple dissapear. Think of games like Bust-a-move, where there is a burst of colour each time you link the colours up. It's a small idea, but as I've said before, games are made, or broken, in the detail.

So the sounds aren't great, the graphics are average and the idea is far from original. The only thing going for this game in it's current state seems to be the different game modes, which add some variation to how the game is played, and also the raw addictiveness factor, which made Tetris a legendary game back in the day. Some may think I've referred to Tetris too much here, but the majority of gamers will think of Tetris straight away if they play this game. It doesn't feel like the developers have had too much work to do. It's a very simple and famous idea, with a small twist.

To put the nail in the coffin, Tetris and similar games, such as Tetra 3D, are already available in the App Store. And with that in mind, it makes me wonder why this app was created. There is a Lite version available for free in the App Store, so I urge you to download to try it for yourself. I am not a gamer who enjoys puzzle games, so it's possible I'm being harsh on this game, but for me, this game has already been done before, and didn't need doing again.

Also posted by me at AppGamer.net
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 25/06/11 at 20:45
Regular
"How Ironic"
"Isn't it essentially Tetris?" is the question many of you may be asking. I'm not one to play puzzle games, but I've braved through this one to give you my view.

Whilst the concept may be quite similar to the famous GameBoy puzzle game, Fragmental 3D evolves the concept by bringing in a 3D axis. Each turn, you are given a shape to fit into a 5x5 square. Each shape is 3D and can range from 4-8 bricks. You can rotate each shape 90 degrees, both clockwise and anti-clockwise, in every direction. This gives a possible 9 different positions for each shape. Create a horizontal line of 5 across anywhere on the grid, and those blocks will disspear, with any blocks above dropping down. Combos are available by linking horizontal lines in each direction as well. So to answer the question, yes, it is essentially Tetris.

The graphics are nothing to shout about. But then again, there isn't much that can be achieved with coloured blocks and a background. They are simple, neat and precise, just like the game should be, and because of the limitations of what can be achieved, they are acceptable. Aesthetic Interactive should have really thought outside of the box though (excuse the pun). For example, a simple explosion of colour each time a line dissapears would've brought some sort of excitement into the game. As it is, you are rewarded for your efforts with a horrible droopy noise, and the blocks simple dissapear. Think of games like Bust-a-move, where there is a burst of colour each time you link the colours up. It's a small idea, but as I've said before, games are made, or broken, in the detail.

So the sounds aren't great, the graphics are average and the idea is far from original. The only thing going for this game in it's current state seems to be the different game modes, which add some variation to how the game is played, and also the raw addictiveness factor, which made Tetris a legendary game back in the day. Some may think I've referred to Tetris too much here, but the majority of gamers will think of Tetris straight away if they play this game. It doesn't feel like the developers have had too much work to do. It's a very simple and famous idea, with a small twist.

To put the nail in the coffin, Tetris and similar games, such as Tetra 3D, are already available in the App Store. And with that in mind, it makes me wonder why this app was created. There is a Lite version available for free in the App Store, so I urge you to download to try it for yourself. I am not a gamer who enjoys puzzle games, so it's possible I'm being harsh on this game, but for me, this game has already been done before, and didn't need doing again.

Also posted by me at AppGamer.net

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.