GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IMAP - a few questions."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/06/11 at 00:09
Regular
Hi,

I have just upgraded to email Pro.

I am wondering if IMAP will be beneficial to me.

I currently have 25 or so (POP) domain emails. Three of these are currently, additionally accessed from my Blackberry and iPod Touch.

My current Outlook pst is 5GB. I'm assuming this includes my contacts and calendars.

Will I need more than 2GB if I'm just converting selected email accounts?

What happens if I exceed the 2GB limit?

If my iPod is out of network coverage, can I still read my mail on that device?

Thanks,

Neil
Wed 29/06/11 at 10:47
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
In Thunderbird you can set up a message filter that moves mail a certain number of days old to the archive every time the client checks for mail. Not sure about other clients though.
Tue 28/06/11 at 19:50
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
have you any advice about storing IMAP emails offline in an email client thunderbird/entourage. It would be good if the IMAP mail stayed in sync with the server for as long as possible (is that 60 days?) but was automatically stored somewhere so older email could be accessed. I guess auto-archive would do it, would you recommend that or have you any other ideas?
Tue 28/06/11 at 18:42
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ah this is the page you should be looking at http://freeola.com/emailpro/. The 2GB limit is for when you use IMAP with our EmailPro product (as the mail is stored on the server). You can buy additional slots that give 1GB extra space and allow another domain to be used as well. If you use POP3 there is no limit but mail older than 60 days will be removed.
Tue 28/06/11 at 18:02
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I am currently looking at using IMAP for some domains as well. I see no mention of a 2gb limit anywhere on the page describing it

http://freeola.com/free-email/

Does this imply a mailbox cannot exceeds 2gb in size?
Thu 23/06/11 at 16:31
Regular
Many thanks for that Eccles.

I presume I can re-convert IMAP back to POP if it doesn't suit my needs.

N.
Thu 23/06/11 at 10:56
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
IMAP will allow all the devices you check mail on to be in sync with each other. For example, if you delete an e-mail on you blackberry it will also be removed from your PC when you next sync. This is because IMAP stores you e-mail on the server, unlike POP3, which usually downloads and removes the mail from the server (unless you have set your client to keep mail on the server for a certain amount of time).
Your Outlook pst file size will not be the size of all the mail on the server as you were using POP3 so the pst will contain all the mail you dowloaded.
If you exceed your IMAP quota and do nothing to reduce the amount of space you are using or fail to buy more quota then the server will stop accepting e-mails for you and will send bounce messages back to the sender instead. You will however, receive several warning e-mails before you exceed your quota.

I'm not sure about the iPod but most devices that support IMAP allow you to view any messages that the device had from the last sync.
Thu 23/06/11 at 00:09
Regular
Hi,

I have just upgraded to email Pro.

I am wondering if IMAP will be beneficial to me.

I currently have 25 or so (POP) domain emails. Three of these are currently, additionally accessed from my Blackberry and iPod Touch.

My current Outlook pst is 5GB. I'm assuming this includes my contacts and calendars.

Will I need more than 2GB if I'm just converting selected email accounts?

What happens if I exceed the 2GB limit?

If my iPod is out of network coverage, can I still read my mail on that device?

Thanks,

Neil

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.