GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I used to hate Nintendo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/12/01 at 13:34
Regular
It's true. I even took a sticker from 'Mean Machines' That said "I love Nintendo" sribbled out the "love" and replaced it with "Hate". Then I stuck it on my Megadrive. Along with my "I Love Sega" sticker.

Funny that the Megadrive was the last Sega console that I bought, and I've gone for Nintendo's machines and games in a big way since.

So what was it that changed my opinion of Nintendo?

Super Mario Bros 3. Or Mean Machines review of it, anyway. It recieved the highest score, and indeed the longest review that I had ever seen. The way they described the game, it sounded quite unlike anything I had ever played before, the sheer scale of the adventure, all of the different suits Mario could wear. I had to have it.

So it could be said that I downgraded from megadrive to NES, though in truth they were both main consoles, set up in different rooms!

Once we (brother, sister and I) got the game, we found it to be everything that it had been billed to be. The levels were really smart, with a learning curve so perfect you just didn't notice all of the new things you could now do! When you first discover the feather and are able to fly it is really amazing. There's a nice clear area to allowyou to get your speed up, so that you can take off, into the clouds.

Not only could you fly, there was also a special frog suite for swimming, though you could swim without it, a 'hammer-bros' suit, that allowed you to throw, funnily enough, hammers, a suit that turned you into a statue, you were invincible, but couldn't move!

Each of the 8 worlds had a different theme, as has become common in platformers, and some of those worlds seem to have been revisted in later games, such as 'Tiny Huge Island' on Super Mario 64. What really made the game special though (what? I haven't got to that yet?) was the world map. You had some degree of choice of a path through the world, some levels you didn't have to do, and if you did the levels in a certain order you could find a secret, such as a ghost ship! When one of those first appeared I was stunned, I just had to get to it! I remember it being full of coins. Excellent.

Then there was the two player game, which Strafex mentioned in another post the other day. It was basically just the original 'Mario Bros' with Mario and Luigi turning over bugs, and kicking them. 5 bugs per level, whoever gets the most wins, and gets to play the next solo player level. Then there were the extra special coin levels which wa a battle to get the most coins when they appeared on the screen.

There was just so much in this game that it changed my opinion of Nintendo forever. They really had made this game special, and yes, at the time it was the best videogame ever.

There was also talk of a Super NES in Mean Machines. Another Nintendo console, more powerful than the Megadrive? I was hooked. I'd get the magazine the day it was out, waiting for more news on the SNES, wanting to see more pictures of the forthcoming Super Mario World, and other such games. I'd became disillusioned with the Megadrive, finding the majority of the releases to be bog standard platformers, not living up to Super Mario Bros 3, I could see the SNES would be the next big thing for me, not the MegaCD that Sega would later bring out.

Once I got my SNES I found Super Mario World to be everything a sequel should be. The same in spirit as SMB3, but oh so incredibly advanced! The world map was now all as one, rather than 8 separate maps. Because of the power of the SNES each level was bigger, and there could be more on screen at any one time without slowdown. But again it was the map that was special, but in a different way, with levels having multiple exits, so you could find different routes by locating secrets within the levels.

We all know about the great games on the SNES, don't we? I never regretted leaving Sega behind, and even scrapped the "I hate Nintendo" sticker from my Megadrive.

Had I have had more cash over the last few years then Sega could well have made a return to my home. The Dreamcast really was great, but it wasn't to be. But hey, with the Gamecube I'll be able to get the best of both worlds, and I'm looking forward to it a great deal!
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:28
Regular
Now you've done it!

All this nostalgia's gone and made me choose Mario Advance 2 as my GAd prize!

Now I'll have to go and buy one!
There goes 70 quid...
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:22
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
hey, but when was Mean Machines a multi-format mag??? I remember Mean Machines Sega, but it was only Sega mag...

It always had little ongoing battle things with Nintendo Magazine (now Nintendo Official Magazine). In both mags letter pages they would just be totally full of letters slagging off the other console, or lavishing praise on their console, or (in Mean Machines anyways) people insulting the living **** out of the guy who replied to the letters. (remember that guy on the Mean Machines letter page, with the funny hair and really wierd face... it was him!)

Ah, the good old days

(I'm only 16... honest)
Sat 15/12/01 at 20:46
"You smell of rice"
Good post Meka, and I will say that I was pretty similar, well not the hate Nintendo, love Sega signs and things like thta, but after the Mega Drive, I went for Nintendo.
Sat 15/12/01 at 15:53
Regular
Wanting too much money, that's what made the N64 crash and burn. :0)

Yup, they do make some great games, but I really wish that Yamuchi bloke steps down soon. He HAS helped Nintendo through a lot, but they've got to learn that only through the encouragement of third parties, instead of charging them through the nose to make games for them, will be the best way to go.

They are getting a lot better though. They're actually funding loads of small based firms to make games for them, encouraging more developers into the world. The only drawback is that they have to pay back the money in the end, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Making the money to actually fund the thing, if it's an excellent idea, is the hardest problem. If it's made well enough, and of course advertised enough, you should get back that money and more.

And how the hell can any small firm be able to pay the amount needed to get your product well known anyway?
Fri 14/12/01 at 23:27
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
For no apparent reason I was never a fan of Nintendo, but now respect them as one of the most influential gaming companies ever.

Nintendo DO make some fantastic games and are able to produce hardware of superb ability. Unfortunatly, things have gone against them ultimately resulting in the downfall of their N64 console and a damaged reputation.
Fri 14/12/01 at 16:02
Regular
I still do!

No, I don't really.
The gaming world would be a lesser place without their wondrous (although not really to my taste) games.
Fri 14/12/01 at 15:32
Regular
I've been playing that battle game all day.
Infact, I might even get a GBA to play it with 4 players...

Mario World is probably one of the best platformers ever (I still think that Donkey Kong Country was even better) and I'll probably get a GBA for its conversion into "Mario Advance 2".

A few years back, when I was a semi-casual gamer, I thought that although I still liked the likes of Mario and Donkey Kong, it was really an old fashioned kids machine with those cartriges and cute graphics.

Needless to say I've grown up a lot since then...
Fri 14/12/01 at 13:34
Regular
"not dead"
It's true. I even took a sticker from 'Mean Machines' That said "I love Nintendo" sribbled out the "love" and replaced it with "Hate". Then I stuck it on my Megadrive. Along with my "I Love Sega" sticker.

Funny that the Megadrive was the last Sega console that I bought, and I've gone for Nintendo's machines and games in a big way since.

So what was it that changed my opinion of Nintendo?

Super Mario Bros 3. Or Mean Machines review of it, anyway. It recieved the highest score, and indeed the longest review that I had ever seen. The way they described the game, it sounded quite unlike anything I had ever played before, the sheer scale of the adventure, all of the different suits Mario could wear. I had to have it.

So it could be said that I downgraded from megadrive to NES, though in truth they were both main consoles, set up in different rooms!

Once we (brother, sister and I) got the game, we found it to be everything that it had been billed to be. The levels were really smart, with a learning curve so perfect you just didn't notice all of the new things you could now do! When you first discover the feather and are able to fly it is really amazing. There's a nice clear area to allowyou to get your speed up, so that you can take off, into the clouds.

Not only could you fly, there was also a special frog suite for swimming, though you could swim without it, a 'hammer-bros' suit, that allowed you to throw, funnily enough, hammers, a suit that turned you into a statue, you were invincible, but couldn't move!

Each of the 8 worlds had a different theme, as has become common in platformers, and some of those worlds seem to have been revisted in later games, such as 'Tiny Huge Island' on Super Mario 64. What really made the game special though (what? I haven't got to that yet?) was the world map. You had some degree of choice of a path through the world, some levels you didn't have to do, and if you did the levels in a certain order you could find a secret, such as a ghost ship! When one of those first appeared I was stunned, I just had to get to it! I remember it being full of coins. Excellent.

Then there was the two player game, which Strafex mentioned in another post the other day. It was basically just the original 'Mario Bros' with Mario and Luigi turning over bugs, and kicking them. 5 bugs per level, whoever gets the most wins, and gets to play the next solo player level. Then there were the extra special coin levels which wa a battle to get the most coins when they appeared on the screen.

There was just so much in this game that it changed my opinion of Nintendo forever. They really had made this game special, and yes, at the time it was the best videogame ever.

There was also talk of a Super NES in Mean Machines. Another Nintendo console, more powerful than the Megadrive? I was hooked. I'd get the magazine the day it was out, waiting for more news on the SNES, wanting to see more pictures of the forthcoming Super Mario World, and other such games. I'd became disillusioned with the Megadrive, finding the majority of the releases to be bog standard platformers, not living up to Super Mario Bros 3, I could see the SNES would be the next big thing for me, not the MegaCD that Sega would later bring out.

Once I got my SNES I found Super Mario World to be everything a sequel should be. The same in spirit as SMB3, but oh so incredibly advanced! The world map was now all as one, rather than 8 separate maps. Because of the power of the SNES each level was bigger, and there could be more on screen at any one time without slowdown. But again it was the map that was special, but in a different way, with levels having multiple exits, so you could find different routes by locating secrets within the levels.

We all know about the great games on the SNES, don't we? I never regretted leaving Sega behind, and even scrapped the "I hate Nintendo" sticker from my Megadrive.

Had I have had more cash over the last few years then Sega could well have made a return to my home. The Dreamcast really was great, but it wasn't to be. But hey, with the Gamecube I'll be able to get the best of both worlds, and I'm looking forward to it a great deal!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.