GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's the best programing language for making games?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/12/01 at 22:07
Regular
What's the best programing language for making games?
Thu 13/12/01 at 22:07
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
What's the best programing language for making games?
Thu 13/12/01 at 22:33
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
A lot of older games were written mainly in C. Depends on the company these days. Are you wanting to write games for a living some day?
Fri 14/12/01 at 09:55
Regular
""
There's a language called Dark Basic that is meant to be a pretty neat, simple yet effective game programming language.

Haven't tried it myself but you can get from SR cheap.
Fri 14/12/01 at 10:19
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Yeah dark basic is the one a lot of uni courses in games technology use for making games.
Fri 14/12/01 at 10:20
Regular
How about Macromedia's Director? is it good for making games?
Fri 14/12/01 at 12:59
If you want be making games as a profession, you have no choice but C or C++, with Assembly Language thrown in for good measure.

I do hear good things about Dark Basic, but that is more of a "beginners" tool. If you are looking to learn the basics, it is a godd place to start.

You could never hope to code something like a Mario game, ot GTA in Macromedia Director, although it is good for producing smaller games and web-based stuff.
Fri 14/12/01 at 13:00
Hang on, this is the web design forum you off-topic monkeys!
Fri 14/12/01 at 15:07
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Funkygamer is right, C, C++ or assembly is what the big name developer use.

But in future this could change as performance wise the one's mentioned above are the only ones that get used but in the future the hardware etc may well mean that games get programmed in a higher level language.
Fri 14/12/01 at 16:32
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
yeah i'd say C, C++ and maybe visual basic to
Fri 14/12/01 at 17:01
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I think a boundary should be drawn between the likes of Dark Basic and C++.

Dark Basic is for wanna-be games programmers with not a lot of money and wanting to get a taste for making games. If you're talking at this level, I recommend Blitz3d over Dark Basic. It's based around the same language (basic) but is so much faster. For example, in my GTA3-style game, I've got cars made of around 13,000 triangles being thrown around the screen and still maintaining a smooth framerate on my Duron 825.

C++ is strictly for the big boys in the games-making industry and I definately recommend leaving it well alone until you reach college at around the age of 17, at least.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.