GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PCs. Last of a dying breed?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/12/01 at 20:44
Regular
I think that I am in a very small minority when I think that PC gaming is better than console gaming. Sure consoles are great, but look at PlayStation games now and compare them to PC games.

I haven't bought a PC (or been given one) for about five years; instead I upgrade it. You can't upgrade consoles because they aren't made for that; and it is obvious they suffer from it. The main reason I prefer PC gaming is because it supports all genres. A lot of the best console games come out on PC, providing they aren't first or second party, and the PC can easily handle graphics to match or better that of a top of the range games console. What I also think is much better about PCs is that no matter what specs, if your computer isn't too old it can play a game. And if you invest the money, you can get great performance out of it.

Very few people my age play PC games, instead going with consoles. I try to dissuade them, but they just rip the PC on totally insignificant grounds. 'Oh, games always crash'. Not true, they'll only crash if your PC isn't too good or the specs aren't right. Otherwise, they'll crash as much as any console game. 'The games are boring'. Again, not true, because all their favourites (Tony Hawk, MGS, Final Fantasy) are on the PC, all with vastly improved graphics. Plus, the addition of keyboard makes playing shooters and strategy games much easier than fooling around with an 'ergonomic' (PS2) joypad.

The console market is steadily growing, and the PC market is rapidly declining in younger users. This creates a very tight market, being among the 20-30 year olds. And it shows, because many developers are developing games for consoles instead of the PC (cue Halo).

I'm just curious to see if there is anyone else out there who actually plays PC games more than console games. Currently, I am absorbed in Civilisation 3 and Champ. Manager. They are two of the best games ever, but in this restricted market are likely to do very poorly.

Don't have prejudice, because the PC is a killer machine.
Thu 13/12/01 at 20:44
Regular
"¬_¬"
I think that I am in a very small minority when I think that PC gaming is better than console gaming. Sure consoles are great, but look at PlayStation games now and compare them to PC games.

I haven't bought a PC (or been given one) for about five years; instead I upgrade it. You can't upgrade consoles because they aren't made for that; and it is obvious they suffer from it. The main reason I prefer PC gaming is because it supports all genres. A lot of the best console games come out on PC, providing they aren't first or second party, and the PC can easily handle graphics to match or better that of a top of the range games console. What I also think is much better about PCs is that no matter what specs, if your computer isn't too old it can play a game. And if you invest the money, you can get great performance out of it.

Very few people my age play PC games, instead going with consoles. I try to dissuade them, but they just rip the PC on totally insignificant grounds. 'Oh, games always crash'. Not true, they'll only crash if your PC isn't too good or the specs aren't right. Otherwise, they'll crash as much as any console game. 'The games are boring'. Again, not true, because all their favourites (Tony Hawk, MGS, Final Fantasy) are on the PC, all with vastly improved graphics. Plus, the addition of keyboard makes playing shooters and strategy games much easier than fooling around with an 'ergonomic' (PS2) joypad.

The console market is steadily growing, and the PC market is rapidly declining in younger users. This creates a very tight market, being among the 20-30 year olds. And it shows, because many developers are developing games for consoles instead of the PC (cue Halo).

I'm just curious to see if there is anyone else out there who actually plays PC games more than console games. Currently, I am absorbed in Civilisation 3 and Champ. Manager. They are two of the best games ever, but in this restricted market are likely to do very poorly.

Don't have prejudice, because the PC is a killer machine.
Thu 13/12/01 at 20:52
Yeah, I agree in a way. If you wanna have a great fun game for ages, get on the PC, but if you fancy a quicky (um, that doesn't sound right) then turn on your console. But yes, the PC is best for the ultimate gaming experience, provided you have a class PC (which I certainly do not, boo, but getting it upgraded, yay.)
Thu 13/12/01 at 20:57
Regular
"¬_¬"
And people always use 'PCs are too expensive' as their excuse, but if you get a custom factory built PC, it will only cost about £600, and you all have PCs anyway.
Thu 13/12/01 at 20:58
Regular
"pob, the originator"
The only problems with P.C's is that if you don't fit the recommended system spec you suffer horrendous slowdown. And don't start telling me how these games you own work fine on minimum spec P.C's.

Why? Cos I don't care.

That is why I like consoles. Made for gaming. Look at SSX Tricky and THPS3 - killer apps.
Thu 13/12/01 at 20:59
Regular
"¬_¬"
Look at games like Black & White and Max Payne. Beat SSX Tricky any day. And then Tony Hawk's 3 is coming to PC anyway.
Thu 13/12/01 at 21:00
Regular
"¬_¬"
sign in on MSN
Thu 13/12/01 at 21:13
I'm getting this crappy old thing (trust me, you've never seen such crap) fixed up from only 2GB hard drive to about 40GB, this hasn't got no graphics card or sound card,its memory is only about 4MB (yeah I know it sucks, and thats its max capability) and one of my friends who builds his own PC's is gettin it all fixed up for me to make it as good as a MAXX (sorry SR)all for under £200, now thats a deal
Thu 13/12/01 at 21:16
Regular
"¬_¬"
that is a very good deal
Thu 13/12/01 at 21:18
Regular
"pob, the originator"
What's the spec?
Thu 13/12/01 at 21:51
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yes I do play pc games but not many run on my pc. Champ Man is just amazing. Right.

Well. I have to disagree.

My pc set me back a few of the old notes. It cost me £700 it came with printer and scanner and it was nearly top spec. (Top spec was 500mhz mine is 300mhz) This was 2 years ago.

Within 2 years the top spec is like 2500mhz. I can no longer play ANY pc games on my pc. Yes. They are good. But you have to go through so much damned trouble. Buy the game. Check specs. Upgrade computer. Etc. It all costs more money. But with consoles, ok every 5 years ish a new one comes out but you can just buy a game. Play. Have fun. You don’t have to go out and buy a new graphics card for your Playstation do you?

Ok.

New console. £200. Games. (All together) £200+ Memory Cards and the such £75

£475. This would not get you a pc that could play so many different games. Yes, It could. But then you run out of Hard Drive space. Basically I sum it up like this.

Pc. It does many things and is infinite. You can play games, go on the internet, even make web sites for cash. It’s a multimedia machine. Its not designed for games ONLY. Pc’s cost more to run. Buying upgrades, getting rid of viruses etc

Consoles. Made for games ONLY. Instant fun with mates. Controls are easy. Unlike configuring loads of controls for your PC. Costs less to run. Don’t break (Much) and no viruses. (Well, if gaming go’s online properly then we can all start worrying when your damn console gets a virus)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.