GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time and time AGAIN!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/12/01 at 20:25
Regular
What is the title refering to?

Sequals of course! Quite possibly one of the most annoying types of games around...

Ok, so maybe that was a bit harsh, but how many sequals/licenced games just sell on the merrits of their predicessor/name-sake. Too many is the answer!

But even more worryingly is the use of name-sakes in CONSOLE tittles... I do, of course, refer to the PS2.

Now, let's face it, the console was named in such a way that people would buy it on its name alone. Think no one is that stupid? Well, 99% of gamers are the casual type who pick up a copy of Simpson Wrestling just because the box has a nice picture on it. Most of these gamers don't read the gaming press, nor do they much care about the, as yet unadvertised, GC and Xbox.

So, was Sony's console naming an act of brand-stretching, or was it, in actuality, to show gamers that this new console had all the quality of the last?

Discuss.

Sonic
Tue 24/05/11 at 15:35
Regular
If you have question related to our group or with living with stroke
we will try or best to get the answer for you,
Sun 16/12/01 at 13:21
Regular
Yeah I agree with you there. But I will buy sequals but not if they are like SD3.
I was really looking forward to SD3, after having SD2 and really liking it. I thought SD3 would be even better.
I just hope that THQ make a better game out of SD4.
Sun 16/12/01 at 12:28
Regular
"um..."
People won't design original games because they are too scared of the risk. I mean even the PS2 itself is a sequel would it have sold as much if it had a completely different name? People brought it because they already knew what the Playstation could do. It's the same with sequels to games, some designers think, if it has been successful before it will be again and so they churn out sequel after sequel with the same name just with a number added. Like someone said it's the same with smackdown 3, because the other two were great they churned out another which is basically the same with a few extras. People buy sequels with the same sort of thinking: "the first one was good this one will be" they are also pulled in by the licence it's like FIFA they have an official licence so can use all the proper names, sponsors etc yet the ISS games were far superior in gameplay but because they didn't have a licence they did not sell as much. FIFA just churn out the same game every year with all the different names etc an "upgrade" in my opinon the worst type of sequel. I dont have many games because I try and buy original ones that make the console stand out, and unless a sequel is exceptional (GT3, GTA3 MGS2) I wont buy it.
Sat 15/12/01 at 23:21
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Crash ²ºº¹ wrote:
> Yep!
But I dont think there is going to be any more, I think I've heared that
> somewhere, have you?

Well, Kojima-san, who produced the last 2 games of the series, will not produce the next game. He will, however, help with the initial design of the game.

Either way, it's a while off yet!

Sonic
Sat 15/12/01 at 23:09
Regular
Yep!
But I dont think there is going to be any more, I think I've heared that somewhere, have you?
Sat 15/12/01 at 23:07
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Crash ²ºº¹ wrote:
> But thats not always true, just look and Metal Gear Solid 2: sons of liberty ;)

Well, not ALL sequals are bad... MGS2- the 4th game in the series, and the best so far

Sonic
Sat 15/12/01 at 22:58
Regular
But thats not always true, just look and Metal Gear Solid 2: sons of liberty ;)
Sat 15/12/01 at 20:48
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> D'oh, I hoped you were referring to the Counting Crows song with that title.

ah... maybe that's what's driving people away from this topic!

Sonic
Fri 14/12/01 at 22:38
Regular
"You've upset me"
D'oh, I hoped you were referring to the Counting Crows song with that title.
Thu 13/12/01 at 20:52
Regular
4 words, Smackdown: Just bring it.

For anyone that hasnt has the DISpleasure of playing this game....

It is a completeand utter shambles. Not even worthy of being on a next-gen console. The story mode is the main culprit. An absolute disgrace. It can be completed in a mere 3 matches. Some people may argue that you have to unlock all the different routes, but this is just plain boring.

A prime example of developers just using the NAME to sell da game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.