GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Film is evolving into....this?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/12/01 at 18:20
Regular
As technology is advancing games are becoming more realistic. In a view more years they are going to become even more realistic, but how far can they go? Will games ever look as realistic as films, or will there always be that computerised look. Games are already trying to be more like the films, by having FMV movies as cut-scenes. Also films are being given a computer game look (Final Fantasy).

Also because of the advance in technology, the way we view films has changed. Gone (well going) have the days where we would get a bulky film tape off the shelf, to put it into the video player. Instead we get a small disk the size of a CD and place it on a small tray or in a small slot, and start watching a film. Not only do these DVD’s give us better quality sound and picture, but they also allow the viewer to have interactivity. At the moment these interactive features are only simple things such as screen savers, games and behind the scenes interviews that are either viewable on the TV or your computer.

But as technology develops more, and publishers learn how to use this new technology/feature more and better what will be possible? Already we are starting to see these features being experimented with. Instead of just the normal ending to a film, you can choose an alternative ending.

Will these interactive features stop there, or in a few years will we be seeing films, where they aren’t just films but also a game. So instead of the film running its own course the viewer/player gets to change things throughout the film, giving it a different ending. For example the main character has two people to save, by killing two people but they only have one bullet. So the viewer gets to choose whom to shoot, or maybe even get to shoot, so if they miss it could also change the course of the film.

So are we seeing gaming, and film viewing evolving into this inter-multi-media future? Or is it just something that will never happen. At the moment it is forever more seeming that it is moving this way. What do you think?
Fri 14/12/01 at 00:18
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
No, no, no, no. Mega CD and CD-I both tried "interactive movies", awful, awful titles were made. There's zero future in the idea - nil, nada, nicht. If someone wanted to carry out your proposed ideas now there is absolutely nothing stopping them, it would be as easy as making any other film and whacking it onto DVD. However, interactive movies have been proved time and time again to be a Bad Idea.

The technology is there now, the only thing stop interactive movies is the initially flawed idea that they'll prove entertainment. Movies = passive viewing, maybe thought, discussion later; gaming = interactive, pretty disposable entertainment. Never the twain shall meet.
Thu 13/12/01 at 21:32
A most interesting series of points you have raised here. i think you have cottoned onto some things that will happen eventually but i think it will take a while before we see some of the advances that you have highlighted. i dont no myself how much the DVD film technology is expanding but i dont think that there will ever be a lot of interaction with the audience in the film. It is a nice idea but that would give the film directors so much more to think about, having to film so many alternate sequences, taking more time and money etc...

After watching some behind the scenes DVD stuff they detail why scenes have to be deleted due to time schedules or the amount of money they have to spend etc... i dont think things such as this will radically change soon, so the directors wont have such a free reign as you sound like you want them too. Still the future holds many possibilities so i may one day be biting my tounge. It would be pretty cool if some of the things u said did happen though.
Thu 13/12/01 at 18:20
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
As technology is advancing games are becoming more realistic. In a view more years they are going to become even more realistic, but how far can they go? Will games ever look as realistic as films, or will there always be that computerised look. Games are already trying to be more like the films, by having FMV movies as cut-scenes. Also films are being given a computer game look (Final Fantasy).

Also because of the advance in technology, the way we view films has changed. Gone (well going) have the days where we would get a bulky film tape off the shelf, to put it into the video player. Instead we get a small disk the size of a CD and place it on a small tray or in a small slot, and start watching a film. Not only do these DVD’s give us better quality sound and picture, but they also allow the viewer to have interactivity. At the moment these interactive features are only simple things such as screen savers, games and behind the scenes interviews that are either viewable on the TV or your computer.

But as technology develops more, and publishers learn how to use this new technology/feature more and better what will be possible? Already we are starting to see these features being experimented with. Instead of just the normal ending to a film, you can choose an alternative ending.

Will these interactive features stop there, or in a few years will we be seeing films, where they aren’t just films but also a game. So instead of the film running its own course the viewer/player gets to change things throughout the film, giving it a different ending. For example the main character has two people to save, by killing two people but they only have one bullet. So the viewer gets to choose whom to shoot, or maybe even get to shoot, so if they miss it could also change the course of the film.

So are we seeing gaming, and film viewing evolving into this inter-multi-media future? Or is it just something that will never happen. At the moment it is forever more seeming that it is moving this way. What do you think?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.