GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A True UNFOUNDED Arguement"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/12/01 at 23:45
Regular
As I sit and type this (regardless of the feedback received with regards to the 'topic'), I do so for a reason. As games players, all of us here will have dealt with this sort of situation before at some stage, some of us on a daily basis.

Fact: Parents/Friends/Partners, who are not themselves fans of games will regularly remark upon your 'pathetic' hobby, and in my situation my games playing will often be blamed for completely non-related problems.

For example, a failure to acheive a distinction in a college assignment (regardless of the fact that the assignment STILL received a MERIT) will spark off an argument, and the blame for my inability to acheive the very top level possible placed solely on my games-playing.

It is also the case that if not directly blamed as the cause, games are bought into the equation later on into the arguement. If, for example, it is felt that I am 'winning' the arguement (a somewhat pathetic outlook to take on any form of disagreement) the opposing arguement will fall to pieces in place of a new arguement, blaming my 'adiction to games'.

For me, because my parents/partner do not enjoy games in the same way I do, games-playing will be blamed for everything.

Granted, I do suffer from a severe headache condition, and I accept that a 24 hour gaming session does not help this situation, but what about all other scenarios when the aforementioned take the easy route and begin to slate my hobby?

We've all had this arguement before, but for some reason they just can't understand our point of view. True, maybe i'm just a rebellious teenager who will argue every point raised by my parents, but my take on the situation is a little different.

What makes games playing any different to watching the TV or listening to the Radio? It is, after all, just another entertainment form. BUT, it is an entertainment form that includes participation, it includes using the brain/mind, something that TV/Radio doesn't always do.

What makes watching TV from 6pm to 10pm 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year any different to playing a games console for an hour or so once every couple of days? Surely the arguement is two-sided. Too much games playing? Surely that means that the majority of the population are guilty of over-watching TV? For me, there is no logic, and I argue this very point each and every time someone trys to tell me otherwise.

Games-playing is a form of entertainment, why can that not just be accepted? My mother will watch 5 different soaps a night, each around half an hour long. Why can't I play my console for half an hour every other night? Why SHOULD my gaming be blamed for my inability to be at the very top of my college form?

In the same instance, WHY SHOULD TAKING A DAY OFF WORK ILL BE BLAMED ON TV?

Give me a fair, unbiased, logical arguement and i'll accept it.

But, they can't. They just can't.

Moan on, because in reality, we aren't listening to a word you say. And that ice cold glare? Well, you should see the grin we're hiding, because until you prove us otherwise, we're right.
Wed 12/12/01 at 23:45
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
As I sit and type this (regardless of the feedback received with regards to the 'topic'), I do so for a reason. As games players, all of us here will have dealt with this sort of situation before at some stage, some of us on a daily basis.

Fact: Parents/Friends/Partners, who are not themselves fans of games will regularly remark upon your 'pathetic' hobby, and in my situation my games playing will often be blamed for completely non-related problems.

For example, a failure to acheive a distinction in a college assignment (regardless of the fact that the assignment STILL received a MERIT) will spark off an argument, and the blame for my inability to acheive the very top level possible placed solely on my games-playing.

It is also the case that if not directly blamed as the cause, games are bought into the equation later on into the arguement. If, for example, it is felt that I am 'winning' the arguement (a somewhat pathetic outlook to take on any form of disagreement) the opposing arguement will fall to pieces in place of a new arguement, blaming my 'adiction to games'.

For me, because my parents/partner do not enjoy games in the same way I do, games-playing will be blamed for everything.

Granted, I do suffer from a severe headache condition, and I accept that a 24 hour gaming session does not help this situation, but what about all other scenarios when the aforementioned take the easy route and begin to slate my hobby?

We've all had this arguement before, but for some reason they just can't understand our point of view. True, maybe i'm just a rebellious teenager who will argue every point raised by my parents, but my take on the situation is a little different.

What makes games playing any different to watching the TV or listening to the Radio? It is, after all, just another entertainment form. BUT, it is an entertainment form that includes participation, it includes using the brain/mind, something that TV/Radio doesn't always do.

What makes watching TV from 6pm to 10pm 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year any different to playing a games console for an hour or so once every couple of days? Surely the arguement is two-sided. Too much games playing? Surely that means that the majority of the population are guilty of over-watching TV? For me, there is no logic, and I argue this very point each and every time someone trys to tell me otherwise.

Games-playing is a form of entertainment, why can that not just be accepted? My mother will watch 5 different soaps a night, each around half an hour long. Why can't I play my console for half an hour every other night? Why SHOULD my gaming be blamed for my inability to be at the very top of my college form?

In the same instance, WHY SHOULD TAKING A DAY OFF WORK ILL BE BLAMED ON TV?

Give me a fair, unbiased, logical arguement and i'll accept it.

But, they can't. They just can't.

Moan on, because in reality, we aren't listening to a word you say. And that ice cold glare? Well, you should see the grin we're hiding, because until you prove us otherwise, we're right.
Thu 13/12/01 at 08:13
Regular
Well, it's true. The vast majority of you people do play games too much. You should do something more healthy.... like me - watch films too much! Huzzah!
Thu 13/12/01 at 08:19
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ADH wrote:
> What makes games playing any different to watching the TV or listening to the Radio? It is, after all, just another entertainment form. BUT, it is an entertainment form that includes participation, it includes using the brain/mind, something that TV/Radio doesn't always do.

It also greatly increases Hand/Eye co-ordination, the ability to concentrate for longer periods (humans only have a natural, practicle attention span of 45mins!!) and improve reaction times.

Some bloke last year wrote a paper on how playing games makes you kids smarter!! If I can find it, I'll post a copy.
Thu 13/12/01 at 10:27
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
ADH wrote:
Give me a fair, unbiased, logical arguement and i'll accept
it.

Face it, if you had been revising instead of playing games you would have increased your chances of getting a distinction. But then you'd have lost out on all that gameplay. It's a fine balance. Which has more weight, a distinction or having fun?

Having fun is clearly more important. And with MGS2 coming out in February you might as well give up all hope of even getting a pass in future exams. Getting a decent Clear Code at the end of MGS2 is certainly more important and gratifying than the minute pleasure that is gained from seeing the word 'Distinction' written on a piece of paper.

FM: Left skool at 15 to play games and never looked back.
Thu 13/12/01 at 15:58
Regular
I think that the Gamecube's launch date is dangerous for the likes of Grix and myself.

We've been waiting for over a year, just getting by on the odd N64 release, possibly the GBA too.

So a big gaming bomb hits us right in the face?
Will we be able to play it moderately in order to pass exams?

I hope that I can...
Thu 13/12/01 at 16:06
Regular
Pah, sod exams. My personal statement is good, I need not them. :0)
Thu 13/12/01 at 16:43
Regular
"Digging!"
a hate it when my bro does this. he says "all you do is play on the computer or n64". but then all he does is go on the same two crapy sites all the time http://www.guitar.com/ and http://www.crispianmills.com. he is very sad.
Fri 14/12/01 at 22:03
Regular
"accidental superher"
i play too many games.....
i go to boarding school....where i work
at home i NEVER work
yet i still get really good grades...
so that shuts my parents up
:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.