GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Average Forum User - RESULTS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/03/03 at 03:47
Regular
God, another night of endurance posting… I’ll level with you. I don’t really have any monkeys, and Gonzo Tech. is almost totally made up (the spreadsheet holding the results is called “GT”). So, THE RESULTS!!!

BATTLE OF THE CONSOLES

In terms of ownership, the numbers broke down as follows:

Gamecube – 45%
PS2 – 33%
Xbox – 21%

But things become a little more one sided when you were asked to name your favourite:

Gamecube – 63%
Xbox – 15%
PS2 – 11%
PC – 11%

So, a rather convincing win from Nintendo then. Someone tell Dixons, quick.

What about those Nintendo “only for kids” claims then… well the Ninty fanboys were actually the OLDEST. On average our fans boys had this many years under their belts:

Gamecube – 17
Xbox – 16
PS2 – 15
PC - 15

FORUM LIFE

Our average forum user is a mere 16.5 years old. Tell you, they’ll be looking at girls soon (on that note, every female poster is “legal” – result).

60% of forum users haven’t even managed to reach their GCSEs yet, a paltry 7% are risking financial ruin at University (don’t worry about them going hungry, 93% of forum users have Mum and Dad to feed them).

The typical user has spent 34.75 days of his life posting here, taking around 7.3 minutes for each of his 3301 posts, after signing up 402 days ago.

Two hours more per week is spent talking about games here than actually playing them!

50% of users aren’t wholly satisfied by the Special Reserve forums and slink off to post somewhere else too.

THE INTERNET

In terms of access speeds, the breakdown was as follows:

56k – 52%
Broadband – 44%
Other – 4%

Those who wondered about Microsoft only allowing broadband access to their on-line titles may like to know the Xbox users are 15% more likely to have broadband access available to them. In all, 89% of Xbox users have access, but only 33% are actually using a broadband service at present.

That said, only 37% of users are showing any interest in on-line gaming with a console (though 81% have tried out on-line gaming to see what the fuss is about) – the vast majority will be sorely disappointed to learn you’ll have to pay for access, 60% of people really can’t figure out how these things work and want bandwidth for nowt.

Balanced out, the average user feels it’s fair to pay £4.37 per month for an MMORPG, or £2.48 for other sorts of on-line games.

HISTORY

In a varied bunch, the Master System just came out top in the “First Gaming Platform” category. Overall it was divided as follows:

Master System – 26%
NES – 22%
Commodore – 15%
Specy – 11%
Other – 22%

Mario and Zelda were level peggings as the franchises at the top of your favourite games list. Sonic and then Final Fantasy followed respectively.

In terms of the current generation, Mario has proved his longevity, but again has to share top sport with another franchise – Super Monkey Ball. Splinter Cell followed in third.

JUNK

64% of users prefer tea.

74% agree with the war in Iraq

67% of people have short hair… though one person wasn’t sure…

52% of posters play a musical instrument.

50% of our clubbers own a PS2

48% of people moan about the price of games, yet 60% save their pennies by burning music rather than buying it. Tut tut.

THE AVERAGE USER

Our average 16.5 year old poster is studying for his GCSE in his parent’s home. He has been a member for 402 days and made 8.2 posts per day. He owns 1.5 consoles; 0.675 of a Gamecube, 0.495 of a PS2 and only 0.315 of an Xbox, with 21 games to keep him busy for 10.7 hours a week. He has read 4.37 books this year and isn’t fussing about a lass’s hair. So long as she’s breathing, hey…
Tue 25/03/03 at 21:37
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I'd like to commend you on this.
Very nice.
Tue 25/03/03 at 21:31
Regular
"^_^"
It is good to do something like that once in a while. It really gets your min a workin again . . .
Tue 25/03/03 at 21:30
"slightlyshortertagl"
;)
Tue 25/03/03 at 21:30
"slightlyshortertagl"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> But then I'm a freak who used to enjoy maths;
> espically statistic and mechanics...

*runs*
Tue 25/03/03 at 21:27
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Really not sure how long it took - I had a lot of Torts work to do for today so did it in between that. Just getting the figures from the replies into the spreadsheet was the big job - messing about with the spreadsheet and getting the actual statistics was pretty quick and quite good fun. But then I'm a freak who used to enjoy maths; espically statistic and mechanics... in fact, pretty much anything with numbers.
Tue 25/03/03 at 20:57
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
It was cool to know all that but why did you bother doing it all mate? It must have taken you ages!
Tue 25/03/03 at 20:56
Regular
"smile, it's free"
This was actually really interesting, good stuff.

I must say I have to agree with AJ about the average ages - PS2 is the kiddies console because that's what the clueless parents and impressionable children will chose. Those who know better will opt for something else.

Also, note that this survey was taken from participants in an online message board. It isn't just taking your average console owner, it is taking a selection from those gamers who are seriously into their games. Those who know their stuff. For the Gamecube to come out top by such a huge margin suggests either:
a) The Gamecube has better games.
or
b) Geeks buy Gamecubes.

I couldn't possibly say which I see as more likely ;)
Tue 25/03/03 at 20:25
"The Will of D."
Oh and I have broadband, but I am not interested with on-line gaming.
Tue 25/03/03 at 20:24
"The Will of D."
I'm 15.75 to be correct
I actually have 3642 posts (this one included) and I've been here for 314 days (I think).
Gamecube with 9 games
GBA 5 games, 8 games after the 14th of April.
Tue 25/03/03 at 20:05
Regular
"Baros!!!"
Our average 16.5 year old poster - I'm currently 16.75

He has been a member for 402 days - 327 days

8.2 posts per day - Over 20 for me

and I only have a Gamecube =D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.