GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who's got `Shenmue 2X`, then?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Shenmue 2'.
Tue 25/03/03 at 11:45
Regular
Just wondering how many you guys have Shenmue 2x for your X-Box's yet.
I had a look in the X-Box forum, breifly, but couldn't see a single topic about it.

What's it like?
How does it feel??

I just want to know. :)
Mon 12/05/03 at 01:56
Regular
We'll I've played both versions and there isn't a lot between them really. In some ways the textures look better on dc and the dc version seems to move faster when you run etc. However the dc has slowdown and flickery characters at times. Its an amazing game on both dc and xbox but I must admit I actually prefer Shenmue to Shenmue 2.
Mon 12/05/03 at 00:03
Regular
It will most prob be the next game I buy for my Xbox.. that or robotech whick seemed fun.. right now tho im playing Zelda WW and Sonic MC.
Sun 11/05/03 at 00:52
Regular
"Laughingstock"
For the most part it's virtually identical to the Dreamcast version.

The only differences I've noticed is the snapshot function which allows you take photos at any time during the game/cutscenes - this is a nice touch as you can capture memorable moments, etc.

Another slight difference to the Dreamcast version is at night-time - the lights/neon signs seem to have a little bit of extra glow/motion blur.

And the English voice-overs which, apart from the odd occasion, are well done.

Other than that it's a straight port, but it still looks fantastic.

I've not watched the 'Shenmue Movie" yet [on an extra disc], and I can't wait for Shenmue 3.
Tue 01/04/03 at 22:56
Regular
To be honest i'd rather play the Dreamcast original. They've done a few annoying things with it that i dont really understand. First off is the dodgy neon effect when you play at night. Sure it makes light bulbs etc look nice and realistic (to the point where people must have to wear shades in their houses its that bright!) but it also makes anything thats light coloured shine too e.g Ryu has a luminous face, chairs, tables, paper. It just looks odd and not right. Then they've also added a blurry effect when in free battle mode which i guess was an attempt to make it look more dramatic but it really doesnt work. Also the voice acting on certain characters is pretty laughable. Jianimin (the old boy in Lotus park) sounds like an old english gentlemen! Dont get me wrong i absolutely love the Shenmue games and its still a good conversion (no slow down whatsoever for starters) but it just doesnt feel as polished as the Dreamcast original. I may be wrong on this but i seem to remember that on the Xbox website it says Shenmue 2's developer is Microsoft whereas as on all the other Sega games it lists it says Sega. In other words i dont think Sega were responsible for the conversion but instead handed it over to Microsoft to do.
Tue 01/04/03 at 14:23
Regular
I dont have an xbox

But what i really want to know is it really the same as the dreamcast version or have they actually added something extra in it.
Mon 31/03/03 at 22:51
Regular
"accidental superher"
it's just a port of the dreamcast version so plays exactly the same...
same dodgy controls
differences : a sorta new neon effect at night, no slowdown, slightly increased resolution and dody english voice acting although i don't feel it's as bad as shenmue 1.
it's pretty good :D
Mon 31/03/03 at 22:40
Regular
"QPR 1974"
Erm, well I have it, Thanks to the mighty SR :-) IT rocks, yes. But, despite being a Dreamcast owner, I never played the original series, so, I could not really tell you how it plays :S

Anyway, it rocks :D
Mon 31/03/03 at 22:28
Regular
"All about the Beats"
I have no Xbox
Mon 31/03/03 at 16:29
Regular
"Laughingstock"
No one has even so much as mentioned it in the Xbox forum.

I haven't bought it.
I have virtually every other SEGA game released on Xbox, but I haven't bothered to get Shenmue 2x, and I probably never will.
I played it several times on the Dreamcast and what I want is Shenmue 3, and 4, and 5.....
Tue 25/03/03 at 11:45
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Just wondering how many you guys have Shenmue 2x for your X-Box's yet.
I had a look in the X-Box forum, breifly, but couldn't see a single topic about it.

What's it like?
How does it feel??

I just want to know. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.