GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] FootieManager"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'FootieManager'.
Wed 11/05/11 at 23:43
Regular
"How Ironic"
Whilst I’m not one to play online games very often, there are those that you just become addicted to, whether it’s a simple MMORPG internet browser game like Runescape, or a game that requires a client download to play, like Star Wars Galaxies. These games all rely on this addiction factor to keep users coming back. Whilst they are not the most technologically advanced entertainment available, they have a different appeal, which is the sheer span of its dedicated users, who endlessly spend hours to achieve goals that have been set in place by the games developers, who usually milk the users dry by releasing updates.

Footiemanager , as the name would suggest, is a Football Management game that is played in your web browser. It has been running since 1999, when it was in its most basic form. Think of it as Football Manager 2011 for the internet. Footiemanager is, as mentioned before, a game that relies on addiction. It has extremely basic graphics, no sounds whatsoever and is not realistic to real-life football. Do I care though? The answer is no.

I’ve played this game for more than a month now, and have already found the game community to be delightful and friendly. The game itself, despite the flaws, is fun to play. You basically select a team from a choice of leagues that include England, Scotland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal. Now I was pleasantly surprised to find that once I picked my team, I didn’t actually have any real-life players. In fact, no real players are used in the game. They are all generated using a spawn engine which reimburses teams that have lost players to retirement with new youth players. Does it take anything away from realism? It doesn’t, because the point of a Football Manager is to be your own manager, not to try and imitate a real-life team by copying their line-ups and formations. If anything, it adds a new dimension that I feel is missing from Sports Interactive’s Football Manager games.

Now to the important question. How are matches played? Well this is a part of the game that is slightly disappointing. You will set your team line-up, as well as 3 substitutions, along with tactics before a game starts. The game is processed in turns, so you and all other managers must have a selection picked before hand, else the computer will automatically set your best statistical line-up. Once a turn is ready to pass, the game processes by completing each match. You can then log back into your game and read detailed commentary on what happened during your last match, as well as viewing statistics. It doesn’t really involve the users very much, as there is not too much you can do when the match is actually being played, so I think that could be improved sometime in the future.

There are many other features that make up for any realism that you require, such as a board for each team, an FA panel, who is run by a team of dedicated and established users. Media exists in the form of a newspaper that uses user generated content. This enables a sort of role-play part of the game, as you are able to make up stories about your manager’s background and beliefs, as well as banter and attempting to intimidate opposition managers.

Overall, the game is for some, and definitely not for others. You really have to get into this game to care about it at all, because without that addiction factor, you cannot appreciate it.

Overall Score: 6/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 11/05/11 at 23:43
Regular
"How Ironic"
Whilst I’m not one to play online games very often, there are those that you just become addicted to, whether it’s a simple MMORPG internet browser game like Runescape, or a game that requires a client download to play, like Star Wars Galaxies. These games all rely on this addiction factor to keep users coming back. Whilst they are not the most technologically advanced entertainment available, they have a different appeal, which is the sheer span of its dedicated users, who endlessly spend hours to achieve goals that have been set in place by the games developers, who usually milk the users dry by releasing updates.

Footiemanager , as the name would suggest, is a Football Management game that is played in your web browser. It has been running since 1999, when it was in its most basic form. Think of it as Football Manager 2011 for the internet. Footiemanager is, as mentioned before, a game that relies on addiction. It has extremely basic graphics, no sounds whatsoever and is not realistic to real-life football. Do I care though? The answer is no.

I’ve played this game for more than a month now, and have already found the game community to be delightful and friendly. The game itself, despite the flaws, is fun to play. You basically select a team from a choice of leagues that include England, Scotland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal. Now I was pleasantly surprised to find that once I picked my team, I didn’t actually have any real-life players. In fact, no real players are used in the game. They are all generated using a spawn engine which reimburses teams that have lost players to retirement with new youth players. Does it take anything away from realism? It doesn’t, because the point of a Football Manager is to be your own manager, not to try and imitate a real-life team by copying their line-ups and formations. If anything, it adds a new dimension that I feel is missing from Sports Interactive’s Football Manager games.

Now to the important question. How are matches played? Well this is a part of the game that is slightly disappointing. You will set your team line-up, as well as 3 substitutions, along with tactics before a game starts. The game is processed in turns, so you and all other managers must have a selection picked before hand, else the computer will automatically set your best statistical line-up. Once a turn is ready to pass, the game processes by completing each match. You can then log back into your game and read detailed commentary on what happened during your last match, as well as viewing statistics. It doesn’t really involve the users very much, as there is not too much you can do when the match is actually being played, so I think that could be improved sometime in the future.

There are many other features that make up for any realism that you require, such as a board for each team, an FA panel, who is run by a team of dedicated and established users. Media exists in the form of a newspaper that uses user generated content. This enables a sort of role-play part of the game, as you are able to make up stories about your manager’s background and beliefs, as well as banter and attempting to intimidate opposition managers.

Overall, the game is for some, and definitely not for others. You really have to get into this game to care about it at all, because without that addiction factor, you cannot appreciate it.

Overall Score: 6/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.