GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Domain Hosting"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/05/11 at 17:06
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I’m trying to find out if anyone knows the timing for the following:

A company withdraws service to a current free email address (mentioning no names!) on 18th May

However, the domain name registration does not cease until June 10th.

Okay, my life – paltry as it is – is tied to this email address and it will be a total bind to switch it to another address, free or otherwise. The last person I spoke to in customer service didn’t know what was going to happen to the domain.

Do I check who owns the site from 18th May or June 10th or even do I spend the rest of my life chasing this domain? Actually that wouldn’t be ideal…. ><

Do companies do constant searches for certain addresses? All but the .com address are still available so I’m very hopeful of getting hold of it but when? Isn’t there anyway you… uhmm I mean… this company could pass over ownership of the domain on the 19th May?

Thu 12/05/11 at 16:01
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Ohh thanks for the reply. I'll pop an email through early next week. Fancy being away when I need to speak to 'em^^ Some people! :D
Wed 11/05/11 at 10:08
Regular
Hi INS,

While buffyfans.co.uk is clearly a top notch address, I'd say it's pretty unlikely we're selling that one. More likely it's one of our less popular F500 addresses, and we don't predict many new people becoming fans of Buffy in the future which is why we're probably 'letting it go'.

I can't say for sure if this is the case at the moment, but if you drop us an e-mail next week sometime, when our Domain's Manager blokey is back from his holiday, I'm sure we'll be able to provide you with a bit more information.

If indeed we are letting the domain expire, rather than selling it on, then eventually (rather than specifically on the renewal date) the domain will be released back into general availability for anybody to register.
Wed 11/05/11 at 07:35
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Morning Hmmm...

It was actually a Freeola 1000 address so it obviously survived several clear outs already. Recieved notification on 28th of April so approx. 3 weeks notice til shutdown. I don't mind telling the address. It is a silly one but as it was good enough to use through uni, several house sales and still suits me I'd hate to let it just "disappear" - buffyfans.co.uk

Can you imagine my horror if I check on the 19th of May and Freeola 500 is now Freeola 499? :D

The .com address is registered to someone in the states. Looks like a private individual though.

I've already researched owning my own domain and I will go down this path as it looks cheaper than paying for the webmail access and, as you say, I will always own it. Although Freeola have always owned buffyfans.co.uk I've always considered it MINE, ALL MINE!

Joking aside deciding to own my own domain is the reason I'm asking about the buffyfans one. I can actually manage without the email address for several weeks and if I can get hold of the buffyfans one then I'll not need to change anything in the interim. If there is no chance of getting it then I will register my own and make all the changes.

Thank you for the link.
Tue 10/05/11 at 17:41
"Are you sure?"
I appreciate you are asking Freeola but hope you don't mind me asking a few questions? :¬) There is one answer too ;¬)

I assume this is a free Freeola500 address? Can you say what the domain name is? - just in case it should affect me and I've missed any notification!

How much notice did you get as I also use some F500 addresses and if Freeola were to sell/stop them I would need some time to get my act together?

Yes - companies and individuals do perform automated searches on domain name availability etc. it's a very competitive market.

Are you saying only the .com address has been registered (by Freeola) and this is the one you use? If Freeola have sold the domain then I guess you won't be eligible to register it but if they are just 'giving it up' then hopefully they would sell it to you!
An alternative would be for you to register one of the other TLDs (versions, i.e. co.uk) then you would 'own' it but you would still have to change/inform all your contacts etc.

I appreciate it's all a pain which if why it's always best to register a domain name if it means a lot to you (I have a LOT - 100++ for me and my clients). Then as long as you keep paying for the registration etc. you will always 'own' it! Perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and just register a decent domain name and keep it!

EDIT: While I'm typing this Freeola's email service has gone downsic and their MySQL is giving me all sorts of errors! :¬(

FWIW Here's a previous situation that may be similar to yours from a few years back even though the domain still appears to be for sale.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 10/05/11 at 17:06
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I’m trying to find out if anyone knows the timing for the following:

A company withdraws service to a current free email address (mentioning no names!) on 18th May

However, the domain name registration does not cease until June 10th.

Okay, my life – paltry as it is – is tied to this email address and it will be a total bind to switch it to another address, free or otherwise. The last person I spoke to in customer service didn’t know what was going to happen to the domain.

Do I check who owns the site from 18th May or June 10th or even do I spend the rest of my life chasing this domain? Actually that wouldn’t be ideal…. ><

Do companies do constant searches for certain addresses? All but the .com address are still available so I’m very hopeful of getting hold of it but when? Isn’t there anyway you… uhmm I mean… this company could pass over ownership of the domain on the 19th May?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.