GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] PS3/360 - Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Red Dead Redemption'.
Sun 01/05/11 at 10:44
Regular
"Braaains"
Initially an expansion pack for Red Dead Redemption, Undead Nightmare has been released as a stand alone disc, so you can indulge in all sorts of cowboys vs zombies shenanigans without owning the original. One of the producers of Undead Nightmare stated that the game was what you might get if you took the set of a cowboy movie and used it to film a zombie film. Which is a pretty accurate description of what you get here. The game features many of the characters from Red Dead Redemption, and once again you control John Marston, reformed bandit. Only this time instead of chasing down other bandits, you're out to protect the land from the undead.

If you haven't played Red Dead Redemption, then you might not be familiar with the game's mechanics. Essentially, it's Grand Theft Auto with cowboys - and it is in fact from the people who made that game. You have the freedom to roam the countryside at will, either on foot or on horse, and undertake missions given to you by the various people you encounter. You can also defend yourself in all manner of ways - you can punch, lassoo and shoot things - the latter's your best option since shooting zombies in the head is the most reliable way to dispose of them. And there are plenty of zombies to kill - the towns are crawling with them, and the countryside's none too safe either. Part of the game involves clearing out zombies from towns and protecting the survivors. Which is fun at first, but it does get a bit samey after you've cleared your fifth town.

The actual proper missions are far more interesting - although I would strongly recommend you play the original Red Dead Redemption first. Why? Because otherwise you end up wondering who the characters you meet are - they all know John, and John knows them yet you as the player might not have a clue who they are. This being an expansion pack, the graphics are the same as the original game - pretty good, in other words. Although the landscape has an overcast look to it, to fit in with the nightmarish tone of the game. The zombies are also suitably gruesome looking - they're fairly fast too, so it's easy to get overwhelmed. The game also throws in some other mythological elements - you get to kill yetis, lassoo a flaming horse and even ride a unicorn. No, I swear I'm not making this up.

Undead Nightmare is well worth checking out if you're a fan of the zombie genre - although if you haven't played Red Dead Redemption first, I'd recommend you check that out first. There's also a decent multiplayer mode though again, the original RDR's multiplayer is pretty good too. It's not as long as the original game, but it should take you a good few hours to finish, and when you're done, you can roam around the landscape to your hearts content. A good purchase if you like zombies, not so much if you don't.

(also posted on Ciao.co.uk)
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sun 01/05/11 at 10:44
Regular
"Braaains"
Initially an expansion pack for Red Dead Redemption, Undead Nightmare has been released as a stand alone disc, so you can indulge in all sorts of cowboys vs zombies shenanigans without owning the original. One of the producers of Undead Nightmare stated that the game was what you might get if you took the set of a cowboy movie and used it to film a zombie film. Which is a pretty accurate description of what you get here. The game features many of the characters from Red Dead Redemption, and once again you control John Marston, reformed bandit. Only this time instead of chasing down other bandits, you're out to protect the land from the undead.

If you haven't played Red Dead Redemption, then you might not be familiar with the game's mechanics. Essentially, it's Grand Theft Auto with cowboys - and it is in fact from the people who made that game. You have the freedom to roam the countryside at will, either on foot or on horse, and undertake missions given to you by the various people you encounter. You can also defend yourself in all manner of ways - you can punch, lassoo and shoot things - the latter's your best option since shooting zombies in the head is the most reliable way to dispose of them. And there are plenty of zombies to kill - the towns are crawling with them, and the countryside's none too safe either. Part of the game involves clearing out zombies from towns and protecting the survivors. Which is fun at first, but it does get a bit samey after you've cleared your fifth town.

The actual proper missions are far more interesting - although I would strongly recommend you play the original Red Dead Redemption first. Why? Because otherwise you end up wondering who the characters you meet are - they all know John, and John knows them yet you as the player might not have a clue who they are. This being an expansion pack, the graphics are the same as the original game - pretty good, in other words. Although the landscape has an overcast look to it, to fit in with the nightmarish tone of the game. The zombies are also suitably gruesome looking - they're fairly fast too, so it's easy to get overwhelmed. The game also throws in some other mythological elements - you get to kill yetis, lassoo a flaming horse and even ride a unicorn. No, I swear I'm not making this up.

Undead Nightmare is well worth checking out if you're a fan of the zombie genre - although if you haven't played Red Dead Redemption first, I'd recommend you check that out first. There's also a decent multiplayer mode though again, the original RDR's multiplayer is pretty good too. It's not as long as the original game, but it should take you a good few hours to finish, and when you're done, you can roam around the landscape to your hearts content. A good purchase if you like zombies, not so much if you don't.

(also posted on Ciao.co.uk)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.