GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IE9"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/04/11 at 10:08
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I am being threatened with the upgrade of this. It is most imminent.

However from past painful memories, once I've upgraded, there's no easy "popping into ie8" to test my sites there. I have an emulator program called IETester, but I don't like to rely on an emulator 100% for my testing, so I still go to another computer with IE7 on it to fully test.

any thought on this?

[BEGIN RANT]
Why won't MS acknowledge that developers need to easily switch between versions of IE as each version is not backwards-compatible and sometimes behaves completely differently. Alternately why don't they just implement web standards?
[RANT OVER]

This is absolutely the least I have to say on this topic as I am sure we have all been over this ground before...
Mon 02/05/11 at 15:13
"Are you sure?"
I've never really found any problems with users running either IE7 or 8 - they both seem to behave the same for me. But I see you sometimes use a CSS 'hack' for IE7 so must be seeing differences. That's why I've stuck with Tables for so long - they just work! (but I must move on I know)

Very impressive creating your own 'Webby' tool!

m's and dot's spot on! :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 02/05/11 at 10:33
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
@hmmm... (hope I got the right amount of m's and dots!)

I agree about real-world testing, which is why, I guess I'm slightly wary of depending on simulating ie8 testing. I still have ie7 on another machine, so what I may need to start doing is running vms. sigh.

I like your link about bbc iplayer. gives me an idea - i've got an old laptop I'm basically using as an iplayer which is hooked into my tv, so I could try resolution testing on that. why didn't I think of it before!

Webby is a java prog I've written myself - started off as a simple perl script to generate pages given basic info : header/footer etc. It has evolved into a fully fledged CMS, but I stuck with it rather than the ones that were available at the time as I couldn't find anything that gave me exactly what I needed. I wanted specific output, not only for the site, but also for the code, which can have a bearing on search engine rankings etc. I'm very fussy! However the program is a bit rough and ready for the end user - I did think about making it free and putting in on an opensource portal, however I would probably have to make it a bit easier to use, and/or create a good help file.
Sat 30/04/11 at 17:27
"Are you sure?"
Re. Standards etc.
I'm still stuck with 'Tables' for my sites *blush*
I see you use something called 'Webby' to create your websites.

Can you give some details of what Webby is as that's something I've not heard of?

Back on topic:
For me, I check sites in a few different browsers (IE 7+/FF/Chrome) and also use a selection of monitors/resolutions making use of a few separate PCs - you can't beat real world testing :¬)

I can recommend running dual monitors on your main PC. The link shows a photo of my setup This works well for viewing/previewing new sites! I use two different size monitors running different resolutions - it's surprising how different things can look.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 30/04/11 at 15:57
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I was aware ie9 had this ie8 mode available, and also about the vm option. I was wondering if anyone's experienced any issues with either of those. Most importantly are there any cases where it is not behaving as ie8
Sat 30/04/11 at 11:33
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
F12 and change the rendering mode to IE8 in the top right of the Developer window? If you have Windows 7 Professional or above you can use the 'XP Mode' to run various virtual machine images available from here. Otherwise the same images can be used with MS Virtual PC (Free) in XP and Vista.
Sat 30/04/11 at 10:08
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I am being threatened with the upgrade of this. It is most imminent.

However from past painful memories, once I've upgraded, there's no easy "popping into ie8" to test my sites there. I have an emulator program called IETester, but I don't like to rely on an emulator 100% for my testing, so I still go to another computer with IE7 on it to fully test.

any thought on this?

[BEGIN RANT]
Why won't MS acknowledge that developers need to easily switch between versions of IE as each version is not backwards-compatible and sometimes behaves completely differently. Alternately why don't they just implement web standards?
[RANT OVER]

This is absolutely the least I have to say on this topic as I am sure we have all been over this ground before...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.