GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Football highlights"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/12/01 at 21:55
Regular
I was just sitting here remembering some of the great goals that I have seen.

The first one has got to be Tony Yeboah's volley against Liverpool. The great thing about this goal was the atmosphere and the build-up and how the fans went absolutely balastic as the ball rickashaded off the bar. Also it was amazing how the ball dipped from such a height at such power. This was one of the first goals that stood out from the rest.

The second one has probably got to be Michael Owens 'one man goal' against Argentina in the world cup. Once again the good thing about this goal was the atmosphere, this goal gave England a big boost but it unfortunately wasn't enough. But I loved watching the replays of him taking the ball to the side before hooking it into the roof of the net. It was astonishing how he ran through those helpless defenders and how he blasted it past the flailing goalkeeper. This was the highlight of the world cup for me.

The third was a friendly where England played a strong italian team. It was an evenly fought match until that strange bloke with the mostache found space before sending a pile driver of a shot towards goal (which then cracked in off the bar). This left us England fans gobsmacked, first of all the feeling of depression and then anger come (with the loss of a goal) but then you think "well atleast it was a f'n amazing goal" well you might aswell be beaten by the best if you are going to be beaten.

Lastly, a goal that happened about a month ago. During the Liverpool vs Manchester United match, well you all know what I'm talking about but anyway. When Wes Brown gave a free kick away at the edge of the box I knew something was going to happen, so I watched on as the ball was given a little lay off then........BANG VOOM CRACK YEEESSSSSS. I had just witnessed one of the fastest and greatest goals of all time, it was Riises run up that made me think "Hey up, he's going to blast this" and that he did, the angle was quite acute aswell and how it just went whizzing by Barthez Corr Blimey. The first time I saw it I thought that it cracked the bar hit the post went along the line and hit the other post, but the slow mo replay showed us that it just squished the net at the bottom and rolled along the line.

So what is your favourite goal? What makes a goal good?
Wed 12/12/01 at 18:31
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Giggs' unbelievable run in the same match Schmeichel saved Bergkamp's pen, at Villa Park, FA Cup Semi-Final Replay!! They don't come much bigger than that (exept the Champion's League Final, of course!)!!

Beckham's half-way-line lob against Wimbledon wasn't that great, quite lucky reall! I remember a Cantona goal vs. Arsenal a few years back. Great strike, from quite a distance! Went straight over the keeper's head, in off the bar! One of the greatest strikes he ever scored!!

YEBOAH!!!!

Scholes against Bradford. Beackham corner, out-swinger, SCHOLES, GRRRRREAT GOOOOAL!!!! The greatest volley ever!!! Possibly??

and some more, i can't think of 'em right now.
Wed 12/12/01 at 16:37
Regular
"es argh"
Why don't Argentina pick 6.66 for their new number :)
Wed 12/12/01 at 12:15
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Could one of them have 7.5 or something like that? Or for something even more eccentric you could use pi! Any number of possibilities!
Wed 12/12/01 at 00:52
Regular
Somtimes FIFA can be a real bunch of...i'll stop there.

I suppose it may sound like a stupid idea to some, but it is Argentina's way of honouring thier greatest ever player.
Wed 12/12/01 at 00:44
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
Or†ega wrote:

In argentina, the players have suggested that nobody should wear
> the NO.10 shirt again, becasue no-one is worthy of wearing it.

argentina are having trouble with fifa over that one, fifa say that if they retire no.10 then they can only bring a squad of 21 players to the world cup, because fifa rules states that teams can use only shirts numbered 1 to 22 for the world cup.
Wed 12/12/01 at 00:31
Regular
Maradona is a legend.

He is easily the greatest footballer to have ever lived, but will always be overlooked by the majority becasue of his drug problems.

In argentina, the players have suggested that nobody should wear the NO.10 shirt again, becasue no-one is worthy of wearing it.
Tue 11/12/01 at 23:57
Regular
Ah, the Giggs goal was a supreme moment. And of course the Great Dane's penalty save.
Someone told me that Maradona was quoted as saying that the Giggs against Arsenal was the best goal of all time. High praise indeed.
I wish the present United team could regain the passion and commitment of the treble year.
Tue 11/12/01 at 23:51
Regular
Maradona's 2nd goal against England will always be my fave. Although i cant comment on the atmosphere as i was only 3-4 years old when it happened!

Anyway, Giggs goal against Arsenal in the FA-cup semi final replay '99.

Not just the goal itself, the circumstances in which the goal was scored. United were down to 10 men, after having Keane sent off for a 2nd bookable offense.

It was looking as if united's bid for the treble was going down the drain. Arsenal begain to dominate the game which was well balanced at 1-1 before keano got sent off.

I cant remember the the correct order of going-ons but Anelka had a goal disalowed for off-side. Arsneal celebrated this goal for a good minute I think. Looking back at the replays of this goal it was very marginal and could have gone either way.

Then of course there was The Bergkamp penalty in the last minute of the game. Phil Neville brang down Parlour i think. No arguments from United (flippin first!). It looked again, if Uniteds bid for the treble was going down the drain again. But, this was to be Uniteds year. Bergkamp's penalty wasnt the best, it was at a nice height, but schemical still had to guess the right way.

At that moment, i knew theri was somthin very special going down. A higher force, nothin could stop united this season.

Extra time came in, and Arsenal tested Schmiechal again. I remember one attempt from Bergkamp in particular. "If he had hit his penalty like that we woudnt be sitting here now!" the words of Andy Gray after Bergkamp nealry injurured schmeichal after he saved a piledriver of shot.

And then, the goal that won it. One of the best midfielders in the world, Patrick Vieria, gave the ball away on the half way line with a dodgy pass across the pitch that went straingt into the path of Giggs.

Giggs had Yorke up with him i think, but he didnt even think of using him.

There was Keon, dixon, even Vieria running back to win the ball. BUt none of them stoped the man. Ran half the length of the pitch, and made the arsenal defense look like clowns. Seaman may have fell to the ground quickly, but you cant take anything away from Giggs.

It was to be uniteds year, and the luck was with them (as the champs league final proved!).

I believe we would have won nothing that season if we had been knocked out by arsenal. The morale would have hit rock bottom, and arsenal would have done the double instead.
Tue 11/12/01 at 21:55
Regular
"es argh"
I was just sitting here remembering some of the great goals that I have seen.

The first one has got to be Tony Yeboah's volley against Liverpool. The great thing about this goal was the atmosphere and the build-up and how the fans went absolutely balastic as the ball rickashaded off the bar. Also it was amazing how the ball dipped from such a height at such power. This was one of the first goals that stood out from the rest.

The second one has probably got to be Michael Owens 'one man goal' against Argentina in the world cup. Once again the good thing about this goal was the atmosphere, this goal gave England a big boost but it unfortunately wasn't enough. But I loved watching the replays of him taking the ball to the side before hooking it into the roof of the net. It was astonishing how he ran through those helpless defenders and how he blasted it past the flailing goalkeeper. This was the highlight of the world cup for me.

The third was a friendly where England played a strong italian team. It was an evenly fought match until that strange bloke with the mostache found space before sending a pile driver of a shot towards goal (which then cracked in off the bar). This left us England fans gobsmacked, first of all the feeling of depression and then anger come (with the loss of a goal) but then you think "well atleast it was a f'n amazing goal" well you might aswell be beaten by the best if you are going to be beaten.

Lastly, a goal that happened about a month ago. During the Liverpool vs Manchester United match, well you all know what I'm talking about but anyway. When Wes Brown gave a free kick away at the edge of the box I knew something was going to happen, so I watched on as the ball was given a little lay off then........BANG VOOM CRACK YEEESSSSSS. I had just witnessed one of the fastest and greatest goals of all time, it was Riises run up that made me think "Hey up, he's going to blast this" and that he did, the angle was quite acute aswell and how it just went whizzing by Barthez Corr Blimey. The first time I saw it I thought that it cracked the bar hit the post went along the line and hit the other post, but the slow mo replay showed us that it just squished the net at the bottom and rolled along the line.

So what is your favourite goal? What makes a goal good?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.