GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Greatest Hits?""

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/12/01 at 20:45
Regular
The name is one of the most misleading names. Greatest Hits albums are released all the time, but the songs put on them aren't always great, and aren't always hits.

When a greatest hits album is released, normally you would think that it was probably a band or singer that did really well and were really popular. Greatest hits albums have been released by famous legends Michael Jackson, U2, Queen, Abba etc., and also released by very succesful but not legendary people, i.e Blur, Boyzone, and that's acceptable, but this isn't:

About a year ago, now disappeared boyband 911 released a greatest hits album when they had only released about 2 or 3 normal albums. Not only are 911 rubbish (sorry if that offends anyone), but only one of their songs went to number 1, and about 3 others in the top ten (from my memory those statistics

A problem with greatest hits shows or albums is that the songs put on are mainly songs that were released in the charts, but weren't hits (see above and below).

An Example is the Corrs. Not a cd, but a TV show on VH-1 called the Corrs Greatest Hits. The thing is, they played their hits, but also the songs when no-one had heard about them. They weren't hits, they had just been released in the charts.

I think that there should be a law that says: NO GREATEST HITS ALBUMS UNLESS YOU'VE HAD HITS, coz otherwise you're gonna have greatest hits albums from bands you've never heard of.
Tue 11/12/01 at 20:45
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
The name is one of the most misleading names. Greatest Hits albums are released all the time, but the songs put on them aren't always great, and aren't always hits.

When a greatest hits album is released, normally you would think that it was probably a band or singer that did really well and were really popular. Greatest hits albums have been released by famous legends Michael Jackson, U2, Queen, Abba etc., and also released by very succesful but not legendary people, i.e Blur, Boyzone, and that's acceptable, but this isn't:

About a year ago, now disappeared boyband 911 released a greatest hits album when they had only released about 2 or 3 normal albums. Not only are 911 rubbish (sorry if that offends anyone), but only one of their songs went to number 1, and about 3 others in the top ten (from my memory those statistics

A problem with greatest hits shows or albums is that the songs put on are mainly songs that were released in the charts, but weren't hits (see above and below).

An Example is the Corrs. Not a cd, but a TV show on VH-1 called the Corrs Greatest Hits. The thing is, they played their hits, but also the songs when no-one had heard about them. They weren't hits, they had just been released in the charts.

I think that there should be a law that says: NO GREATEST HITS ALBUMS UNLESS YOU'VE HAD HITS, coz otherwise you're gonna have greatest hits albums from bands you've never heard of.
Tue 11/12/01 at 21:41
I thought the exact same thing myself earlier today when I thought of the Gabrielle Greatest hits. There are 16 tracks on that album!! She can't have had that many hits.
Tue 11/12/01 at 22:50
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I got Blur Greatest Hits last year... its good.

I hadn't been a big fan before that but I thought I'd give it a go... which worked because now I have all their albums... lets people who were never into them or just never bought an album like somebody...

Although people like Steps, 5ive... are just taking the p**s.
Wed 12/12/01 at 00:28
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
Greatests hits are usually cash ins, its "hey I/we've erleased a lot of songs (i.e not many) so lets release a greatest hits album where we can rake in more money.
Sometimes a greatest hits album is genuinely the best stuff (because their other material is rubbish).
Coming soon: westlifes greatest hits
(joke)
Wed 12/12/01 at 19:59
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
also, have u eva noticed how on compilations i.e NOW 4o something or rather, or BIG HITS 2001 there are always a couple of traks you've neva heard of, and not completely hits. Then why the hell do they call it something like BIG HITS?
Wed 12/12/01 at 21:24
Regular
The always put 'fillers' on the HUGE HITS (and stuff like that) albums

But on Now 50 there are no crappy songs whatsoever

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.