GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No More BJ's!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/12/01 at 19:59
Regular
Firstly, let me say that this is probably not what you are expecting!

You have been warned!

I have read a lot on these forums lately about so-called “Bandwagon Jumpers”. To not only myself, but also many others here (I know who you are) who are bothered by this. Let’s take a look at “Bandwagon Jumpers”, as they are called.

For those who don’t know, Bandwagon Jumpers are people who take the side or support one particular musical artist, just because they like 1 or 2 of their songs – without actually knowing anything about them or their music. These people have their motives, of course – probably to be “cool”, “hip” or “with it”. Heck, these days, your entire popularity standing depends on what type of music you like and which artist is of your preference. For example, a “cult” of Greebos would only accept you if you like Limp Bizkit or The Offspring. Likewise, Goths would be likely to only accept you if you were a Marylin Manson fan.

I’m not telling you to find the A-Z of a group, but many BJ’s (no pun intended) try to act like they know everything about a particular band – sad really. You can’t make a post on here about a group without knowing a little about them or listening to at least 3 or 4 songs. Personally, I think BJ’s are pathetic!

I have prepared some examples of Bandwagon Jumpers:

Example #1
----------------

When Alien Ant Farm released the single “Smooth Criminal”, many people went around saying, “Oh, Alien Ant Farm are brilliant!” How can a person judge this by listening to one song!? Wow, one song – for all they know, the rest of their songs could be absolute bollards! I admit it, I have only heard 2 AAF songs, so I no right to judge them myself.

Example #2
----------------

Monday morning, period 1, Drama, I heard a gang of people in my class singing “Beautiful Day” by U2, and I thought “Great! Some other young U2 fans”, but that was not the case. Suddenly, my brain switched into gear and I remembered that the song was played at a WWF PPV the night before. Knowing that they are WWF fans like myself, I put 2 and 2 together.

Come on, admit it, you’ve all done it once or twice (or many more times!), where you’ve turned into a BJ for a short time. I’m not perfect either, as I have done that with Feeder, much to my distain! Anyone with stories of Bandwagon Jumpers, please feel free to submit them in a reply.

Thanks for reading.
Firebalt.
Thu 13/12/01 at 17:32
Regular
"Excommunicated"
If they genually like it, then let them.

Although I know what you mean... I have a mate who has MP3 Player, Mini-Disc Player (spoiled git) and he constantly asks me what music to download, I tell him. I also tell him general stuff about music and he takes part of it on then tries to impress people of his knowledge... very annoying.

Part from that hes top bloke... better say that incase he comes on here :)
Thu 13/12/01 at 08:16
Regular
"not dead"
Your Honour wrote:
> I'd prefer to listen to S Club 7 than quite a lot of the other crappy pop
> groups, if I'm honest.

Yes, I can't stand Steps, they disgust me, but I can listen to SClub7 without switching off the radio and swearing.
Wed 12/12/01 at 19:10
Regular
"You've upset me"
The GingerLord wrote:
Sorry, not particularly anything to do with the topic,
> but I just have to say that Counting Crows song is sooooo good!

ROCK ON!!!

Counting Crows are my fav band. And that's my fave song of theirs, followed closely by Omaha. All of them are good really. CC's ROCKKKKKKKK!!!!

Ahem...

:-)
Wed 12/12/01 at 18:12
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Goatboy wrote:
> Just let people find
> music, as long as it isn't S-Club Seven.
> Then I will have to kill you.

You know, it's only a small step from Nelly Furtado and Destiny's Child to S-Club 7. I mean they say about cannabis leading people on to harder drugs. I've heard people say that Destiny's Child are dope, and that must make S-Club 7 crack cocaine or something..
Wed 12/12/01 at 18:12
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Goatboy wrote:
> Just let people find
> music, as long as it isn't S-Club Seven.
> Then I will have to kill you.

You know, it's only a small step from Nelly Furtado and Destiny's Child to S-Club 7. I mean they say about cannabis leading people on to harder drugs. I've heard people say that Destiny's Childare dope, and that must make S-Club 7 crack cocaine or something..
Wed 12/12/01 at 17:49
Regular
That kinda wasnt to do with music :D

Beautiful day is also the theme of 'The Premiership'
Wed 12/12/01 at 17:48
Regular
People jumped on the 'BJ' with wrestling, then got off!
I'm still a fan though.
Wed 12/12/01 at 14:19
Regular
I'd prefer to listen to S Club 7 than quite a lot of the other crappy pop groups, if I'm honest.
Wed 12/12/01 at 14:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Who cares how someone gets into a band, the only thing that matters is that somehow they found that music and enjoy it.

Honestly, this "I liked them before you" thing is boring.
Cake, "Rock and Roll Lifestyle" sums it up:

"How much did you pay for your rock and roll t-shirt
That proves you were there
That you heard of them 1st?"

Just let people find music, as long as it isn't S-Club Seven.
Then I will have to kill you.
Wed 12/12/01 at 12:55
Regular
"Acid Casual"
I don't care when or how people get into music. The most important thing is that it entertains someone.

There will always be someone who liked a band before you so isn't it just enough to enjoy what you hear, regardless if your the last person to hear it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.