GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Video Game Violence"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/12/01 at 17:52
Regular
I know, videogame violence has long been a topic of debate in the world of video-games, and we have far too many threads on the matter, but I felt the need to point one thing out to you.

I think that video-games shouldn't be restricted because of their violence or language, as does every other person who has ever been prevented from buying a game because of their age. However, I have an argument that I think will be a great bonus to the anti-age restriction cause.

The matter was raised in fact, by my English teacher. We were practising a speech thing, in groups of 3, and my mates and I, being gamers, chose the topic of Video-games being made part of the school curriculum. We wrote our speeches, then practiced them before performing. The teacher said that my speech was OK, but pointed out to me that I should talk about video-game violence. I was shocked to hear that a teacher knew about the issue, but was even more shocked when she told me about something which she felt was lacking in the press today.

In ancient Rome, people used to go and see violent performances and plays, feeling that if they were to witness some violence, it would satisfy their own hunger for violence. So, this in turn would actually prevent them from going and alleviating their anger on an unsuspecting servant. It was interesting, and looked in the dictionary for its meaning of 'Catharsis', as it was called. The dictionary gave roughly the same meaning. This argument was intriging.

When I got home, I tried this method, and after playing GTA3 for about an hour, I did feel that bullying my little sister was pointless. So, Catharsis certainly does work. But then, why has it never been mentioned before. People all think that video-game violence and excessive playing will spawn a nation of kill-crazy zombie-children, but violence in games, as I proved to myself, is very alleviating. This is very good for the cause of Video-game violence, and I am extremely confused as to why it has never been said before. It works, and in fact a very sensible thing.

So, video game violence doesn't create violence, but prevents it.
Wed 12/12/01 at 13:11
Regular
"I confused?"
lets see less topics about violence in games and more games with violence in. Not because I'm a sadist I find thats it's more realistic and it makes the game more fun.
Wed 12/12/01 at 05:30
Well, for my English 102 class I had to do a 6000 word essay. For my essay I did video game violence and there is all kinds of stuff to talk about on this topic. One of my main points in my paper was talking about GTA3 and how violent it is. Although, I love this game it shouldn't be in the hands of children and I strongly stood by this in my paper. Other than that I just talked about the grand daddys of video game violence. Mostly, Doom, Wolfenstien, and Duke Nukem because they were the easiest ones to to find resources though.

So, if you ever have to right a research paper for school I would suggest this topic mainly because most people in this chat room could probably write a pretty good essay just from what they know about gaming already.
Tue 11/12/01 at 21:27
If your old enough to have a copy of a game and you are not stupid then i guess you will play games responsibily as violence will keep you interested its only ther people with not so intelligent minds that play games probably don't understand what is going on and just go and copy the moves!
Tue 11/12/01 at 18:18
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
I have even made a review for almost each day I have been here, and even I am not as lucky.

If only I had your ideas...
Tue 11/12/01 at 18:17
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Congrats on your GAD wins 1/2pint - It's incredible, how you have won twice within the two weeks you have been here. I have been here for over a year now, but made a new screen name a couple of months ago, so I could make everything look perfect on my stats screen - LOL.

Anyway, after reading your winning reviews, I have to admit, they are fantastic. Amazing grammer, not to mention the things you mentioned in them.

Weldone m8

Street Fighter
Tue 11/12/01 at 18:12
Regular
"pob, the originator"
TESTIFY!!!

*waves his nhands up and down in ecstatic approval*

No wonder you've won gameaday twice in 10 days!

Don't just give me half a pint, I want a full bloomin' gallon :-)
Tue 11/12/01 at 17:52
Regular
"¬_¬"
I know, videogame violence has long been a topic of debate in the world of video-games, and we have far too many threads on the matter, but I felt the need to point one thing out to you.

I think that video-games shouldn't be restricted because of their violence or language, as does every other person who has ever been prevented from buying a game because of their age. However, I have an argument that I think will be a great bonus to the anti-age restriction cause.

The matter was raised in fact, by my English teacher. We were practising a speech thing, in groups of 3, and my mates and I, being gamers, chose the topic of Video-games being made part of the school curriculum. We wrote our speeches, then practiced them before performing. The teacher said that my speech was OK, but pointed out to me that I should talk about video-game violence. I was shocked to hear that a teacher knew about the issue, but was even more shocked when she told me about something which she felt was lacking in the press today.

In ancient Rome, people used to go and see violent performances and plays, feeling that if they were to witness some violence, it would satisfy their own hunger for violence. So, this in turn would actually prevent them from going and alleviating their anger on an unsuspecting servant. It was interesting, and looked in the dictionary for its meaning of 'Catharsis', as it was called. The dictionary gave roughly the same meaning. This argument was intriging.

When I got home, I tried this method, and after playing GTA3 for about an hour, I did feel that bullying my little sister was pointless. So, Catharsis certainly does work. But then, why has it never been mentioned before. People all think that video-game violence and excessive playing will spawn a nation of kill-crazy zombie-children, but violence in games, as I proved to myself, is very alleviating. This is very good for the cause of Video-game violence, and I am extremely confused as to why it has never been said before. It works, and in fact a very sensible thing.

So, video game violence doesn't create violence, but prevents it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.