GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh dear"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/12/01 at 16:22
Regular
Gamespot once again, a reviewer talking about how he gets frustrated at the length of games these days:

I played Luigi's Mansion from beginning to end this afternoon. 4hrs. Am I asking too much when I ask for games that are longer without feeling artificially lengthened by backtracking, leveling up, or other contrived gameplay-extending methods? My initial reaction is that perhaps I just don't count and that the average member of the game-buying public isn't having these problems, but as far as I'm concerned, $50 is still a lot of money, and game buyers deserve games that are worth their sticker price.

Luigi's Mansion had a couple of puzzles that made me think for a few minutes, but for the most part, it was one simple reflex challenge after another, and then it was over. Unless someone uncovers some magical secret code that lets you play as Toad or unlocks a Mario Sunshine demo or something, I'll probably never put that disc in my GameCube again. If the game was $19.99 or even $30, I could get behind it 120 percent. But it's a full-priced game. And unless you're looking for something that makes a pretty tech demo to show to your friends when they come over to see your GameCube, I find that game nearly impossible to recommend as a purchase. "

---

Now I know what you're going to say
"Well that's the opinion of a reviewer!"
But it's funny how nobody says that when it's a positive comment.
I can smell a repeat of Lylat Wars a mile-away, and this stinks of easy-finish.
Wed 20/04/11 at 17:12
"The Boss Lady"
...didn't materialize. The next one will be on time however, so hold your horses.
Tue 11/12/01 at 16:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I feel your pain.

Soul Reaver 2, spent 2hrs trying to figure out a series of puzzles, and then realised I missed one thing that was staring me in the face.

Short games suck
Tue 11/12/01 at 16:34
I agree games these days are beginning to get way to short. I really hate when I buy a game for $50 and the next day I am hitting my head up against the wall because I didn't just pull the good old rent and beat method on it. I'm not saying that I just rush through games just to say I beat them. If that's all I did I would just say that I beat the game and not pay out $50. I like games that really get you worked up and frustarted kinda like Silent Hill 2 with the puzzles on hard. It makes you want to get up and bust your TV with your controler but when you finally find it ( Well I usually think what a moron I am, how could I have missed that, it was right in front of my face) it makes you fill good even if you spent 3 hours looking for a key.
Tue 11/12/01 at 16:30
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I bet Meka's kids will still love it.

It's a bit like comparing Metal Gear Solid to Barbie Race and Ride. Both full price games at launch. Both I can complete in around 2 hours (1 hour for Barbie).

But I love MGS because it is aimed at me.
My niece loves Barbie because it is aimed at her and it takes her around 10 hours to complete.

I think the main failing here is that the current generation of Ninty's were expecting a game aimed at them (16+ age range), whereas Luigi's Mansion is clearly aimed at the future generation of Ninty's (7+ age range?).

It's just that Nintendo 'forgot' to point that out maybe. Or maybe the 'E' for 'Everyone' rating that it got in the states should have been warning enough.
Tue 11/12/01 at 16:22
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Gamespot once again, a reviewer talking about how he gets frustrated at the length of games these days:

I played Luigi's Mansion from beginning to end this afternoon. 4hrs. Am I asking too much when I ask for games that are longer without feeling artificially lengthened by backtracking, leveling up, or other contrived gameplay-extending methods? My initial reaction is that perhaps I just don't count and that the average member of the game-buying public isn't having these problems, but as far as I'm concerned, $50 is still a lot of money, and game buyers deserve games that are worth their sticker price.

Luigi's Mansion had a couple of puzzles that made me think for a few minutes, but for the most part, it was one simple reflex challenge after another, and then it was over. Unless someone uncovers some magical secret code that lets you play as Toad or unlocks a Mario Sunshine demo or something, I'll probably never put that disc in my GameCube again. If the game was $19.99 or even $30, I could get behind it 120 percent. But it's a full-priced game. And unless you're looking for something that makes a pretty tech demo to show to your friends when they come over to see your GameCube, I find that game nearly impossible to recommend as a purchase. "

---

Now I know what you're going to say
"Well that's the opinion of a reviewer!"
But it's funny how nobody says that when it's a positive comment.
I can smell a repeat of Lylat Wars a mile-away, and this stinks of easy-finish.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.