GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Angry Birds"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Angry Birds'.
Wed 13/04/11 at 17:48
Regular
"How Ironic"
I heard about this game well before I played it. Whenever I looked for new iPod games, people would always suggest Angry Birds. It would always be top of “Best iPod Games” lists and the likes. With a game name like Angry Birds, you don’t know what to expect. So what are these birds, and what has made them so angry? Essentially, the game revolves around evil green pigs who have stolen bird eggs. The birds are angry about this, and so pursue the pigs to get the eggs back. Admittedly, it sounds an obscure plot, but it’s a fun idea, although I still don’t get why these pigs have stolen the eggs.

The layout of each level is simple. Each level, several pigs will be on screen, usually hidden in some sort of structure made of ice or wood, or both. You are given a select number of birds, usually between 3 and 5. You fire the birds towards the structures, the aim being to destroy the pigs. There are different sizes and styles of pigs in each level. Smaller pigs are easier to destroy, whilst larger pigs take a bit of a beating. In later levels, the pigs start to wear different clothing, for example, wearing a hardhat. In that instance, the hardhat increases their resistance to damage, making them harder to kill.

Whilst there are different pigs, there are different birds. Most birds hold some sort of power-up, which is activated mid-air. The basic bird is a red bird, which doesn’t have any sort of power-up. The small blue birds separate into 3 separate blue birds. Yellow triangular birds get a speed boost. The pelican-esque bird has a boomerang ability, which enables it to fly backwards, yep you guessed it, just like a boomerang. The chickens have the ability to drop an exploding egg. The black bomb birds are quite simply, bombs. In later levels, you can unlock giant red birds, which are like wrecking balls.

For each level you complete, you get a star rating for that level, between 1 and 3 stars. The star rating all depends on your score and how many birds you use. The fewer birds you use in a level, the better. You can get a higher score by doing the most damage possible to the pigs and their structures. You only complete a level when you destroy all the pigs, otherwise you fail, and will have to redo that level.

Graphically, this game is fun and quirky. It’s a basic cartoon style design, with very simple characters. The pigs all look like some sort of rednecks, with variations coming in the form of moustaches and crowns (for king and queen pigs). The birds all look the same, but for some odd reason, they don’t feel like the same birds being re-used each and every level.

One quibble I have about the game is the physics of it. I sometimes question how structures stand up during the game, when really, they should be collapsing should the laws of gravity apply. It can be rather frustrating, especially if you’re close to completing a difficult level.

Overall, Angry Birds is definitely a top iPod game, and deserves to be recognised as one. What with new versions of Angry Birds being released seemingly all the time, the fun can only get better. I think it’s quite apt to give this game 3 stars (out of 3 of course!)
Wed 13/04/11 at 17:48
Regular
"How Ironic"
I heard about this game well before I played it. Whenever I looked for new iPod games, people would always suggest Angry Birds. It would always be top of “Best iPod Games” lists and the likes. With a game name like Angry Birds, you don’t know what to expect. So what are these birds, and what has made them so angry? Essentially, the game revolves around evil green pigs who have stolen bird eggs. The birds are angry about this, and so pursue the pigs to get the eggs back. Admittedly, it sounds an obscure plot, but it’s a fun idea, although I still don’t get why these pigs have stolen the eggs.

The layout of each level is simple. Each level, several pigs will be on screen, usually hidden in some sort of structure made of ice or wood, or both. You are given a select number of birds, usually between 3 and 5. You fire the birds towards the structures, the aim being to destroy the pigs. There are different sizes and styles of pigs in each level. Smaller pigs are easier to destroy, whilst larger pigs take a bit of a beating. In later levels, the pigs start to wear different clothing, for example, wearing a hardhat. In that instance, the hardhat increases their resistance to damage, making them harder to kill.

Whilst there are different pigs, there are different birds. Most birds hold some sort of power-up, which is activated mid-air. The basic bird is a red bird, which doesn’t have any sort of power-up. The small blue birds separate into 3 separate blue birds. Yellow triangular birds get a speed boost. The pelican-esque bird has a boomerang ability, which enables it to fly backwards, yep you guessed it, just like a boomerang. The chickens have the ability to drop an exploding egg. The black bomb birds are quite simply, bombs. In later levels, you can unlock giant red birds, which are like wrecking balls.

For each level you complete, you get a star rating for that level, between 1 and 3 stars. The star rating all depends on your score and how many birds you use. The fewer birds you use in a level, the better. You can get a higher score by doing the most damage possible to the pigs and their structures. You only complete a level when you destroy all the pigs, otherwise you fail, and will have to redo that level.

Graphically, this game is fun and quirky. It’s a basic cartoon style design, with very simple characters. The pigs all look like some sort of rednecks, with variations coming in the form of moustaches and crowns (for king and queen pigs). The birds all look the same, but for some odd reason, they don’t feel like the same birds being re-used each and every level.

One quibble I have about the game is the physics of it. I sometimes question how structures stand up during the game, when really, they should be collapsing should the laws of gravity apply. It can be rather frustrating, especially if you’re close to completing a difficult level.

Overall, Angry Birds is definitely a top iPod game, and deserves to be recognised as one. What with new versions of Angry Birds being released seemingly all the time, the fun can only get better. I think it’s quite apt to give this game 3 stars (out of 3 of course!)
Sat 23/07/11 at 22:03
Regular
i have this game on my ipod touch. Ith is a very fun and challenging game. Sure for hours of fun. It never gets old when the birds explode.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.