GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"1st Max Payne review I've seen for PS2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/12/01 at 09:11
Regular
Max Payne review for the PS2 from Gamespot gives it 8.0 out of 10.
They basically say that if you can’t play the PC version or haven’t seen it, then the PS2 is the next best thing.
There are some negative points as follows:

“the game loses much of the original PC version's polish in translation to the PS2--loading times are bad, and the game's sluggish frame rate and blurry textures aren't flattering, especially if you've seen the far-superior-looking PC and Xbox versions of Max Payne. If the differences were only skin-deep, they wouldn't matter that much, but they run deep enough to adversely affect Max Payne's gameplay. That's a lot of shortcomings to mention right off the bat, but the fact that they don't severely hinder this otherwise outstanding action game says a lot about how fun it is.”

“Max Payne isn't about fumbling for clips and putting tourniquets on wounds; it's about finesse, style, and fast pacing. It's too bad that the loading times in the PS2 version of Max Payne really hurt this pacing. Whenever you die--and you will--the game automatically reloads the level segment you were on from the beginning. These loading times are pretty bad, and they're exacerbated whenever the level begins with an in-engine cut-scene. Inexplicably, you can't just skip these, but must sit through them every time before you can start playing again. Unlike in the PC or the Xbox versions, you can't save anywhere in the PS2 version of the game. In the later stages, which get pretty difficult, having to constantly restart the level can get very frustrating. It's a shame, since these design problems aren't inherent to Max Payne.”

----------

Basically, and I’d agree, if you haven’t played the PC version then go for it, it IS a fantastic game that is massive fun. Without the PC experience, you won’t sit there and go “Well that’s not the same” and “those graphics don’t match very well”.
So PC owners have been drooling over this game for months, and now you PS2 people can do the same.
(probably shouldn’t mention the Xbox version scored 9.2 and “is almost the same as the PC version, suffering from none of the PS2 problems”)

Get Max Payne and see what us PC people have been saying for months.
Max Payne rocks.
Big time.
Tue 12/04/11 at 09:05
Regular
"Oktane Racers"
Systems, trouble shooting if you security is giving you a problem talk to one of the tech guys here
Tue 11/12/01 at 18:26
Regular
"Whatever!"
Just read the review - 8.0 isnt bad - Im still going to get it!!
Tue 11/12/01 at 10:44
Regular
Or†ega wrote:
> So why is the PS2 version inferior to the X-box version?

I suspect it's becuase the XBox is essentially a PC (Intel P3, nVidia Graphics chip etc) so converions of PC games will be easy as pie, as I've said before.

Also, I suspect the "save anywhere" thing is because the XBox has a harddrive, and to be able to save anywhere you'd need a big save file, and there isn't room for that on the PS2 memory card.
Tue 11/12/01 at 09:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Dunno mate, I just posted the review.
gamespot.com has a comparison between the versions, go check it out.
Tue 11/12/01 at 09:44
Regular
So why is the PS2 version inferior to the X-box version?

IS this microsoft telling the developers to make inferior products for the competitions console? Or is it just the difference in power between the two consoles? Same sort of thing is likely to happen with the Matrix game.
Tue 11/12/01 at 09:11
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Max Payne review for the PS2 from Gamespot gives it 8.0 out of 10.
They basically say that if you can’t play the PC version or haven’t seen it, then the PS2 is the next best thing.
There are some negative points as follows:

“the game loses much of the original PC version's polish in translation to the PS2--loading times are bad, and the game's sluggish frame rate and blurry textures aren't flattering, especially if you've seen the far-superior-looking PC and Xbox versions of Max Payne. If the differences were only skin-deep, they wouldn't matter that much, but they run deep enough to adversely affect Max Payne's gameplay. That's a lot of shortcomings to mention right off the bat, but the fact that they don't severely hinder this otherwise outstanding action game says a lot about how fun it is.”

“Max Payne isn't about fumbling for clips and putting tourniquets on wounds; it's about finesse, style, and fast pacing. It's too bad that the loading times in the PS2 version of Max Payne really hurt this pacing. Whenever you die--and you will--the game automatically reloads the level segment you were on from the beginning. These loading times are pretty bad, and they're exacerbated whenever the level begins with an in-engine cut-scene. Inexplicably, you can't just skip these, but must sit through them every time before you can start playing again. Unlike in the PC or the Xbox versions, you can't save anywhere in the PS2 version of the game. In the later stages, which get pretty difficult, having to constantly restart the level can get very frustrating. It's a shame, since these design problems aren't inherent to Max Payne.”

----------

Basically, and I’d agree, if you haven’t played the PC version then go for it, it IS a fantastic game that is massive fun. Without the PC experience, you won’t sit there and go “Well that’s not the same” and “those graphics don’t match very well”.
So PC owners have been drooling over this game for months, and now you PS2 people can do the same.
(probably shouldn’t mention the Xbox version scored 9.2 and “is almost the same as the PC version, suffering from none of the PS2 problems”)

Get Max Payne and see what us PC people have been saying for months.
Max Payne rocks.
Big time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.