GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphics aren't everthing!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/12/01 at 22:09
Regular
I would just like to say that the graphics of a game do not make that game great if that's how it looks, or terrible if the graphics look poor. There's a very important thing called 'gameplay' that really makes the game what it is!!

People look at games with poor graphics and decide that it's not worth buying or even playing. Partly because they think that because the effort hasn't been put into the game's appearence, it won't be any better than how it looks! And what they could be doing is missing out on a fun and enjoyable adventure, just because of a simple mis-judgement! And what happens when a friend asks about this game? One person's feelings and thoughts of one game can cause the same effect on his/her friends! Putting the number of sales down, limiting the producer's funds, meaning they have less of a chance to improve the game!! This is an example of how people that feel graphics are the most important factor of a game, can cause a low number of sales over a long period of time.

I think there's a posibillity that Zelda GC maynot sell aswell as previous Zelda titles! People may take the gameplay for granted, and ignore the game due to the un-popular, cartoon styled graphics. Which are dissapointing compared to earlier Zelda GC plans, especially with the power of the GameCube!!

What's the most powerfull console? Of course, it's going to be the X-box. But with 733 Mhz CPU Proccesor and a 250 Mhz Graphics Chip, is it really going to be a successfull next-generation console, or an over-hyped, powerfull machine that will bring itself too much attention?? Causing masses of pressure on Microsoft, leading to expected 'instant success', also expected to be repeated with almost every future release!! Would even the powerfull X-box be able t handle this much pressure??

Will it be a massive success in 2002? Or will it fall into it's own trap, with the PS2 and GameCube being 'the people's chioces'?? The price (£300) is going to go against the Box definitley. Especially as PS2's are falling below £200, and the Cube's expected launch price is also only £200! Maybe even as low as £150!! All 3 are powerfull machines, but only time will tell.

Look at a game like Carmaggedon 64, and you'll see a game with both poor graphics and poor gameplay. Looking at the game from still photos can be decieving though! Many people have looked at photos of this game, then gone out and brought it, and realised they've wasted their money. Playing the game, you'll actually see that the graphics are quite poor in motion, and jerky at times. It's quite frustrating to play a game, and find you're no good at it. In this case, you can blame the graphics, as has been done with many games over the years. This hasn't been much of a problem recently, as the quality of graphics has improved. And with this happening, people are more tempted to go for games with the best graphics.

Look at the GameCube. Only 405 Mhz, 6-12 million polygons per second, and an IBM Power PC "Gecco" for a main proccessor. But by looking at previous Nintendo creations, the games will be great to play!! So there should be no real fear for Zelda and the rest, even if the Cube's not even half as powerfull as the X-box! I'm gettin a GameCube, and I WON'T be pursuaded to choose 'X-box' or 'PS2'!! I'm Nintendo forever, and i'll never changer despite the competition!!

Nintendo have proved over the years that games need to be enjoyable and fun to play. Not just eye candy! The Resident Evil series will be improved a lot more than the PS version's, and with the Cube's contoller it may be even better to play!!

The PS2 controller is similar to the Cube's in shape, but not in design. They both have 2 sticks and similar button layouts, but like the N64's, I think the GameCube's controller will help the Cube's titles be the most enjoyable, playabley!! For me, the X-box pad is just too big and chunky!! It won't appeal to younger ages, as thwey may find it harder to hold. The PS2 and GameCube have smaller pads, and will therefore be suitable for even the smallest of hands.

Remember: How the game plays is far more important than how it looks!! Don't be put off if it looks 'too kiddy' or 'too happy, lacking seriousness'. Even though the appearecne may lack, the gameplay and longevity won't!! Be carefull when choosing, and don't rush into buying your games, just becasue of a first glance.
Sat 09/04/11 at 10:42
Regular
"Mistakes happen"
One to watch..

Weapon montage
Tue 11/12/01 at 16:48
Regular
"DS..."
k, it's only my opinion sheesh!
slik ~_~
Tue 11/12/01 at 16:47
Regular
"I confused?"
by fudge is was.
Tue 11/12/01 at 16:45
Regular
"DS..."
Dr nebster crippen wrote:
> Classic example is body harvest.

except that example isnt really a clasiic
slik ~_~
Tue 11/12/01 at 16:44
Regular
"I confused?"
Classic example is body harvest.
Tue 11/12/01 at 16:43
ye, good point. my friends have also fallen into the trap, although in some cases graphics do make a game, for example - football games, if they have bad graphics you dont know what is going on, and about cartoony graphics take jak + daxter and crash bandicoot, these games both have cartoony graphics but they are both great. the gamecube controller is ugly and is not ergonomic, the d-pad will be hard to reach and this would make it hard for younger gamers to use it. the N64 controller is a strange shape but it is quite nice 2 use except for the 'c' buttons. the x-box controllers look like the dreamcast controllers and will be hard and cumbersome to use. the best controller shape is the official playstation controller it is small, easy to use and is so nice to hold. the playstation 2 has much better graphics than the gamecube will have. the gamecube like the N64 will have mainly childish games, like banjo kazooy. the playstation 2 is the best console out there and will be until the x-box comes out, but i'm, staying loyal to sony. microsoft are trying to squeeze as much money as they can from the public, the x-box isn't able to play dvd's out of the box, but an add-on (available @ launch!!!) will allow it 2. y couldn't microsoft ship it with the ablility to play dvd's??
Tue 11/12/01 at 05:42
This a good point and I find more and more of my fellow gamers falling into this trap. All that this can do is allow the big time game industries to make games that are just like movies. You play for two minutes then you watch a two hour CG.

In my opinion I love the awsome graphics that ar coming out but I want to have fun while seeing them. One of my favorite games that I still play is Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 on SNES. This game doesn't have the graphic appeal of Kessen (actually it is really just a map of China and every now and then a horse will run across the screen.) but I found it to be much funner than giving a command and having to here FIRE every time. Romance 3 is great because you have to deal with everything. From battleing with other warlord to making sure that your people have enough food to survive. This is what makes a game a great game, it has to have lots of things that keep you interested. That's why GTA3 is so great. Not because of it's graphics but because of it's gameplay.

Now, you need to ask yourself do you all want more games like GTA3 or do you just want a really expensive DVD?
Mon 10/12/01 at 22:09
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I would just like to say that the graphics of a game do not make that game great if that's how it looks, or terrible if the graphics look poor. There's a very important thing called 'gameplay' that really makes the game what it is!!

People look at games with poor graphics and decide that it's not worth buying or even playing. Partly because they think that because the effort hasn't been put into the game's appearence, it won't be any better than how it looks! And what they could be doing is missing out on a fun and enjoyable adventure, just because of a simple mis-judgement! And what happens when a friend asks about this game? One person's feelings and thoughts of one game can cause the same effect on his/her friends! Putting the number of sales down, limiting the producer's funds, meaning they have less of a chance to improve the game!! This is an example of how people that feel graphics are the most important factor of a game, can cause a low number of sales over a long period of time.

I think there's a posibillity that Zelda GC maynot sell aswell as previous Zelda titles! People may take the gameplay for granted, and ignore the game due to the un-popular, cartoon styled graphics. Which are dissapointing compared to earlier Zelda GC plans, especially with the power of the GameCube!!

What's the most powerfull console? Of course, it's going to be the X-box. But with 733 Mhz CPU Proccesor and a 250 Mhz Graphics Chip, is it really going to be a successfull next-generation console, or an over-hyped, powerfull machine that will bring itself too much attention?? Causing masses of pressure on Microsoft, leading to expected 'instant success', also expected to be repeated with almost every future release!! Would even the powerfull X-box be able t handle this much pressure??

Will it be a massive success in 2002? Or will it fall into it's own trap, with the PS2 and GameCube being 'the people's chioces'?? The price (£300) is going to go against the Box definitley. Especially as PS2's are falling below £200, and the Cube's expected launch price is also only £200! Maybe even as low as £150!! All 3 are powerfull machines, but only time will tell.

Look at a game like Carmaggedon 64, and you'll see a game with both poor graphics and poor gameplay. Looking at the game from still photos can be decieving though! Many people have looked at photos of this game, then gone out and brought it, and realised they've wasted their money. Playing the game, you'll actually see that the graphics are quite poor in motion, and jerky at times. It's quite frustrating to play a game, and find you're no good at it. In this case, you can blame the graphics, as has been done with many games over the years. This hasn't been much of a problem recently, as the quality of graphics has improved. And with this happening, people are more tempted to go for games with the best graphics.

Look at the GameCube. Only 405 Mhz, 6-12 million polygons per second, and an IBM Power PC "Gecco" for a main proccessor. But by looking at previous Nintendo creations, the games will be great to play!! So there should be no real fear for Zelda and the rest, even if the Cube's not even half as powerfull as the X-box! I'm gettin a GameCube, and I WON'T be pursuaded to choose 'X-box' or 'PS2'!! I'm Nintendo forever, and i'll never changer despite the competition!!

Nintendo have proved over the years that games need to be enjoyable and fun to play. Not just eye candy! The Resident Evil series will be improved a lot more than the PS version's, and with the Cube's contoller it may be even better to play!!

The PS2 controller is similar to the Cube's in shape, but not in design. They both have 2 sticks and similar button layouts, but like the N64's, I think the GameCube's controller will help the Cube's titles be the most enjoyable, playabley!! For me, the X-box pad is just too big and chunky!! It won't appeal to younger ages, as thwey may find it harder to hold. The PS2 and GameCube have smaller pads, and will therefore be suitable for even the smallest of hands.

Remember: How the game plays is far more important than how it looks!! Don't be put off if it looks 'too kiddy' or 'too happy, lacking seriousness'. Even though the appearecne may lack, the gameplay and longevity won't!! Be carefull when choosing, and don't rush into buying your games, just becasue of a first glance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.