GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"the future of gaming will be in the pc"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/08/00 at 02:08
Regular
Of course the pc will stay with gaming for as long as this god fearing world knows about it.

Why:
A: because i had a playstation and when i completed a game i put it down and got bored of it, but not with my pc (i know a lot of people that feel the same)

B: you can expand it so by the time the x-box come out the pc will be 3 years ahead of the x-box

c: Pc owners don't pay royalties for games where as console gamers do

D:the graphics are so much better on pc and all you need at the moment is a £70 3dfx voodoo3 2000 and your graphics card is not needed to change for the next 2 years

E: pc games get better every couple of months where console just keep the same graphics and the same gameplay evn if they are pc converts
Tue 29/08/00 at 02:08
Of course the pc will stay with gaming for as long as this god fearing world knows about it.

Why:
A: because i had a playstation and when i completed a game i put it down and got bored of it, but not with my pc (i know a lot of people that feel the same)

B: you can expand it so by the time the x-box come out the pc will be 3 years ahead of the x-box

c: Pc owners don't pay royalties for games where as console gamers do

D:the graphics are so much better on pc and all you need at the moment is a £70 3dfx voodoo3 2000 and your graphics card is not needed to change for the next 2 years

E: pc games get better every couple of months where console just keep the same graphics and the same gameplay evn if they are pc converts
Tue 29/08/00 at 11:51
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
The PC will never die as a games machine because it never has been a games machine. I'm not one of these people who follow the 'my systems better than yours' line. I just don't see how the PC can ever be called a games machine in the first place. It is just a machine which has, amongst others, the ability to play games. Of your five points I can't say I agree with any of them. This is because:

A: PC games tend to become boring long before they are completed. Largely due to the fact that, save a few notable examples, most of them are monor variations of only a couple of styles - first person shooters, real time strategy games etc..

B: The PC games market has to accomodate a large range of specs. Yes PC games CAN look better than console ones, but only with very new (and expensive) technology. How many games players constantly update their PCs with the latest upgrades? Only a handful will perform noticeably better than the console equivalent and even then the games have to deal with the current 'standard spec'.

C & D: I presume this is a 'cost of each game' issue. Anyone who pays more than around £30 per game on any system is a fool. Everyone here must have an internet connection and there are loads of quality sites to buy games from. OK so PC games are cheaper but compare the cost of the machine and the upgrades needed over the lifespan of a console and the difference is soon made insignificant.

E: Games get (technically) better as developers get more used to the system they are developing on. Look at Playstation games from 5 years ago compared to those of today. At least with a console developers get standard hardware to word on, rather than be troubled by vastly different machines to have to account for.

Come on then. Defend your opinions.
Tue 29/08/00 at 20:09
You want me to defend my opinions then i will.

Yes i will agree the pc is no games machine in fact i bought it in order to do work on, but when i found out the sort of games i could play i thought forget it, i might as well upgrade it and use it for games aswell.

After that i just threw the playstation away becasue after seeing the stunning graphics of the pc i thought the playstation could never live up to them and so far it hasn't and neither will the dreamcast, the only console with a chance is the x-box because they are running the graphics from direct-x which is one of the best graphics drivers for those of us that have rubbish 4mb graphics cards.

But i must say i'll never buy another console because i know the pc will always expand and i can always expand it, so whats the point in a console?
Tue 29/08/00 at 20:12
Regular
Its also the best one for the 32meg gamers as well, as Direct X drivers are used by far more games, and are better than that other one... OpenGl.
Tue 29/08/00 at 21:06
PC games are far behind PC hardware... if you pay about £1000 for a PC and get a 700Mhz Intel Pentium 3, it will last you for many years, at the moment games only require at most about 333Mhz, and mostly that's the recommended requirement! So you not only get a great work machine but it will last a long time, and if you buy consoles for your games over about 6 years (maybe less) it's likely that you will have spent much more than if you'd bought a PC (especially with the extra £20 for console games, and if you wait till the console game is £30, the PC game will probably have gone down to £20 or even £10). Anyway, the X-Box is a PC, just games dedicated with a simpler operating system. So consoles will soon be more like the PC and so the PC is the future of gaming!
Tue 29/08/00 at 23:31
Thankyou gronti you are right. In fact my machine is a p2 350 and was 64mbram but i upgraded to 128mb, which will now work for years to come, also i ad to upgrade my graphics card to a voodoo3 2000 because before i had a 4mb card which is not good for gaming or frame rate.
This pc will serve for many yars to come as you have said.
Wed 30/08/00 at 10:14
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Yes, the PC will always be there as a machine which can play games as long as there are PCs being used for other purposes - but it will never be 'the future'. My point is that, as a games machine, it cannot compete on any level (admittedly except technically) with consoles. PCs simply don't have the variety of game styles and the all-important fun-factor that console games have.

I was a PC gamer myself once. I stopped when I realsed that I could leave my PC for just work and play much more fun games on a machine that was designed for that purpose alone.
Thu 31/08/00 at 00:04
You are right but only to a certain point. I like the variety of pc games on the pc, also there is the fact that the pc games are mainly converted to console and console to pc (but not as often).
When i cnsider going back to console i just seem to always think of groundbreaking games like castle wolfenstein, quake, doom (although they are pretty much the same) and carmageddon, then i see that quake is put on the playstation, in the mags it does good, i know it's a good game but whats the point of play6ing it on console when i have it on pc and can play online.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.