GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Decisions, decisions!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/12/01 at 19:10
Regular
There are many different consoles competing for the same audience. But to be able to be successful at capturing that market they have to use many different methods. Some work better than others, but the question is what influences you to buy a certain console?

When you ask this question to people a lot of people would instantly say, that it is the quality of games. But this is not always the case. As they may say this, this may not be the reason they got that certain console, consciously or sub-consciously. With some people the quality of games is the reason they buy a console though.

Another reason that may not be as obvious, is image. Consoles are becoming more of a fashion item like mobile phones. For example if you own a Nintendo console you are young, and if you have a Playstation you are cool, grown up and someone to be with. With a lot of fashion items, people buy them to fit in with everyone else. So basically they don’t make the choice everyone else does it for them.

Some people just buy every console going (wish I could afford to). So they just get all of them and just have a favourite from which they find from playing them. This has many advantages (less bias) to it, but it also has many disadvantages (expensive). These people are the usually the ones who like to show off, and one way they do this is by having everything first!

Then there are the people who look at the hardware performance of each console, such as how many polygons can be put on screen every second. The one bad thing about this is they can’t accurately compare the performance. Because like with Nintendo’s Gamecube they released how many polygons a second could be displayed every second based around estimated games performance. Where as Sony released how many polygons a second could be but on screen based on technical stats. This obviously made it sound better than it was.

The loyal follower is the person who just buys the next machine by the same company that made there pervious console, because they liked what they had and didn’t want to change. Also these are the ones that are usually very bias when it comes to console war arguments. But even these aren’t as loyal as they may first seem.

One way that the companies try to persuade you to get their console is by advertising. There are many forms of advertising that are used including TV ads, give-aways and sponsors. But because the new generation is becoming more aware of how advertising works, companies are having to come up with new ways of advertising their product.

Last, but not least there is the people who look at the companies past performance before deciding which one to get. So they may get the Playstation 2 because the Playstation 1 did well. These tend to be the people that aren’t too bothered about gaming, they just do it as the occasional past time.

So how do you decide which console to buy? Do people who decide to pick which console by a certain method have a certain type of personality?
Tue 11/12/01 at 06:13
Badgerman wrote:
> I'm going to ask for a gamecube for my next birthday (september) and I will ask
> for an X-box for christmas I already have a PS2

Simple

I agree with Badgerman. Just buy them all and save yourself the trouble of having to choice which is better.

Personally I feel that the Playstation is the best out right now because they have some of the best games out right now. GTA3, GT3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Madden 2001, SSX, State of Emergency, and coming soon Final Fantasy X and many many more!

For the Gamecube the only games that I found to be any good was Smash Brothers Melee and I think that the new cartoon Zelda could involve some good game play but that's about it.

Xbox has Halo, NFL Fever 2002, Project Gotham which is taken from a Dreamcast game Metropoliten Street Racing, and OddWorld.
Tue 11/12/01 at 06:12
Badgerman wrote:
> I'm going to ask for a gamecube for my next birthday (september) and I will ask
> for an X-box for christmas I already have a PS2

Simple

I agree with Badgerman. Just buy them all and save yourself the trouble of having to choice which is better.

Personally I feel that the Playstation is the best out right now because they have some of the best games out right no. GTA3, GT3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Madden 2001, SSX, State of Emergency, and coming soon Final Fantasy X and many many more!

For the Gamecube the only games that I found to be any good was Smash Brothers Melee and I think that the new cartoon Zelda could involve some good game play but that's about it.

Xbox has Halo, NFL Fever 2002, Project Gotham which is taken from a Dreamcast game Metropoliten Street Racing, and OddWorld.
Mon 10/12/01 at 21:34
Regular
"es argh"
I'm going to ask for a gamecube for my next birthday (september) and I will ask for an X-box for christmas I already have a PS2

Simple
Mon 10/12/01 at 19:40
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
Small_Frog wrote:
> You missed out the PC owners there.

I said "There are many different consoles"!!!
The PC isn't really a PC because it isn't deccated to gaming. But in saying that you ccould say that the only new one that is a console is the Gamecube, because the PS2 & X-Box dont just play games!
Mon 10/12/01 at 19:33
"period drama"
PC are going down.
They'll not be around much longer.

PC games are better on consoles.

(do you know if they're ever gonna do the sims on any console?)

I guess you're a small frog then...... erm..... eaten any flies yet?
Mon 10/12/01 at 19:26
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
You missed out the PC owners there. People like me.

Although there are the mass-market consoles, many people fail to realise that spending, say, £300 on a new PS2 or X-Box on the release day could well be a waste of money. Despite the performance offered by the machines, it is impossible to tell whether or not the machine will be a success. The Dreamcast is a prime example of this.

The PC, however, is different from the consoles in that products are scalable and the machine itself is fully upgradable. Max Payne, for example, could run on anything between a 400 mHZ or a 1.6 gHZ. In this sense, the PC is superior to a console.

Not that PCs are bugless, however. Product/Hardware imcompatibilties frequently reducing me to a furious psychopath, and OS errors often drive me insane.

There is an in-between to be found somewhere. The only question is where. Imagine that - a fully upgradable console with none of the conflicts posed by PC hardware. (Drools all the way offs-stage)
Mon 10/12/01 at 19:25
"possibly impossible"
In my bid to be unbiased I am attempting to get every console. Unfortunately my budget is not looking too healthy at the moment and it looks as though I'm going to have problems getting a game, let alone a console...

back to the drawing board then...
Mon 10/12/01 at 19:24
"period drama"
PS2.
my psx was knackered, no there decent consoles out.
-dreamcast was dying, N64 too old.

simple really.

*jugular* (say what?)
Mon 10/12/01 at 19:10
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
There are many different consoles competing for the same audience. But to be able to be successful at capturing that market they have to use many different methods. Some work better than others, but the question is what influences you to buy a certain console?

When you ask this question to people a lot of people would instantly say, that it is the quality of games. But this is not always the case. As they may say this, this may not be the reason they got that certain console, consciously or sub-consciously. With some people the quality of games is the reason they buy a console though.

Another reason that may not be as obvious, is image. Consoles are becoming more of a fashion item like mobile phones. For example if you own a Nintendo console you are young, and if you have a Playstation you are cool, grown up and someone to be with. With a lot of fashion items, people buy them to fit in with everyone else. So basically they don’t make the choice everyone else does it for them.

Some people just buy every console going (wish I could afford to). So they just get all of them and just have a favourite from which they find from playing them. This has many advantages (less bias) to it, but it also has many disadvantages (expensive). These people are the usually the ones who like to show off, and one way they do this is by having everything first!

Then there are the people who look at the hardware performance of each console, such as how many polygons can be put on screen every second. The one bad thing about this is they can’t accurately compare the performance. Because like with Nintendo’s Gamecube they released how many polygons a second could be displayed every second based around estimated games performance. Where as Sony released how many polygons a second could be but on screen based on technical stats. This obviously made it sound better than it was.

The loyal follower is the person who just buys the next machine by the same company that made there pervious console, because they liked what they had and didn’t want to change. Also these are the ones that are usually very bias when it comes to console war arguments. But even these aren’t as loyal as they may first seem.

One way that the companies try to persuade you to get their console is by advertising. There are many forms of advertising that are used including TV ads, give-aways and sponsors. But because the new generation is becoming more aware of how advertising works, companies are having to come up with new ways of advertising their product.

Last, but not least there is the people who look at the companies past performance before deciding which one to get. So they may get the Playstation 2 because the Playstation 1 did well. These tend to be the people that aren’t too bothered about gaming, they just do it as the occasional past time.

So how do you decide which console to buy? Do people who decide to pick which console by a certain method have a certain type of personality?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.