GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Using two 56k modems at once?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/12/01 at 16:56
Regular
Yesterday, a mate of mine mentioned that his Dual Band Connector had bust. When I asked what such a device was, he said he uses it to use two 56k modems at once to give him a 128k connection.
Can anyone else shed a little more light on this as I'm extremely interested. He said he uses Linux and wasn't sure whether you could use Windows to do the same.
Mon 10/12/01 at 16:56
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Yesterday, a mate of mine mentioned that his Dual Band Connector had bust. When I asked what such a device was, he said he uses it to use two 56k modems at once to give him a 128k connection.
Can anyone else shed a little more light on this as I'm extremely interested. He said he uses Linux and wasn't sure whether you could use Windows to do the same.
Mon 10/12/01 at 17:26
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
That sounds like a proky pie to me, using 2 56k modems would give you....56k even though he has two, which is nice for him, I can't see this happening, although I too am intrested in a response from someone who knows...
Mon 10/12/01 at 17:28
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Surely it would go through one 56k...into the other! Maybe you can use them in parallel, but I don't see how they wouldn't conflict.
Mon 10/12/01 at 17:39
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Yeah, I'm finding it quite hard to believe. If the likes of Turbonutter don't know anything about this, I'll do a little research on the net and see if I can come up with anything, for everyone's benefit.
Mon 10/12/01 at 18:11
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
The bandwidth cap is due to the phone line itself, not the modem, so using 2 would still be limited by the phone line's ability to carry the data. If he had 2 modems on 2 different phone lines then I suppose it's possible, although probably more trouble than it's worth.
Mon 10/12/01 at 19:12
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
So, whats up with that Dual band connector then? Two phone lines for 128k...hhmm

also, do broadband modem's get a phone number? because most of my favourite games only use phone number connection whereas I only have my I.P. :(
Mon 10/12/01 at 20:01
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
No, as they don't use a phone line...although most games should support TCP/IP play, everything since doom seems to have..
Mon 10/12/01 at 22:41
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
you can do it on ISDN but that different and how would he get 128k when it's 56k times 2 which is 112k.

your mate sounds like an idiot ask if ya can see it that'll be the best way to see if his telling porkys
Tue 11/12/01 at 07:22
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Fair enough, although Reaper brought up the subject of the phone line limiting you to 56k. However, I thought ADSL still actually uses your phone line?
Tue 11/12/01 at 09:32
Regular
"..."
I have heard this can be done, although you need 2 phone lines and 2 modems... Will try and find the page i found on the web for ya.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.