GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cookies and Privacy changes"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/03/11 at 15:54
"Are you sure?"
New 'guidelines' for website Cookies due 25th May.

"Now the EU directive means that website owners will have to obtain the consent of users before installing cookies on their computers."

BBC article and BBC Tech BLOG

It will be interesting to see is this has any impact...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 24/06/16 at 15:36
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
[i]...EU directive means that website owners will have to obtain the consent of users before installing cookies on their computers.

Great to see the end is in site for madness like this :¬)
[/i]

In sight indeed ...
Fri 24/06/16 at 14:38
"Are you sure?"
...EU directive means that website owners will have to obtain the consent of users before installing cookies on their computers.

Great to see the end is in sight for madness like this :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 27/07/15 at 22:47
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Just when you thought it was safe...

Dear Publisher,
... It clarifies your duty to obtain end-user consent when you use products like Google AdSense, DoubleClick for Publishers and DoubleClick Ad Exchange...

Simple ... add some sense and don't use them ... ;¬)
Mon 27/07/15 at 17:37
"Are you sure?"
Just when you thought it was safe...

As an AdSense publisher I received an email from Google today informing me of new requirements for dealing with the EU Cookie Law! I've put the text from the email below.

It reads as if more than 'implied consent' is required!

Still early days but this doesn't seem to be going down very well at the moment.

Google AdSense have also just updated their blog with the details.

Something to keep an eye on for any AdSense publishers reading this.

Dear Publisher,
We want to let you know about a new policy about obtaining EU end-users’ consent that reflects regulatory and best practice guidance. It clarifies your duty to obtain end-user consent when you use products like Google AdSense, DoubleClick for Publishers and DoubleClick Ad Exchange.

Please review our new EU user consent policy as soon as possible. This requires that you obtain EU end users’ consent to the storing and accessing of cookies and other information, and to the data collection, sharing and usage that takes place when you use Google products. It does not affect any provisions on data ownership in your contract.

Please ensure that you comply with this policy as soon as possible, and not later than 30 September 2015.

If your site or app does not have a compliant consent mechanism, you should implement one now. To make this process easier for you, we have compiled some helpful resources at cookiechoices.org.

This policy change is being made in response to best practice and regulatory requirements issued by the European data protection authorities. These requirements are reflected in changes that have been recently made on Google’s own websites.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.
Regards,
The Google Policy Team

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 28/01/13 at 19:07
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Bet we can all sleep soundly in our beds now ;¬)
Mon 28/01/13 at 14:53
"Are you sure?"
Seems the ICO are getting more realistic with #CookieLaw!

They are making changes to their own site from the end of January.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 30/05/12 at 18:10
"Are you sure?"
I see Freeola have made their #cookielaw changes today.
The last minute ICO guideline change for 'implied consent' is useful.

I still think they should have modelled things on this Cookies Directive demo :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 24/04/12 at 14:58
"Are you sure?"
I like the way the answer the ICO provide to "Why can't browsers be changed?" as they already contain cookie controls but most users don't know they're there. Where they say that would be too much to ask - so rather than change a handful or browsers that are in common use gazillions of websites have to be changed instead!!!

The Google Analytics team answer/avoid the EU Directives in the first answer in this YouTube video by saying they will post the answer when they have one on the GA official blog analytics.blogspot.co.uk. Nothing so far...

It looks like lots of people are just sitting tight to see what if any action is taken and how others cope with it.

The telcom that starts with B and ends with T has already implemented their solution. As with their advertising they use weasel words! If you haven't already got one of their cookies you get a reverse logic pop-up opt in.
i.e. Saying "NO THANKS" to making any changes leaves you on full-fat cookies - Clever! :¬)
Interestingly though they don't offer a turn off ALL cookies as an option to browse their site.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 24/04/12 at 14:17
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I think they've spent the year obfuscating the language to make it even more difficult to follow.
Tue 24/04/12 at 13:46
"Are you sure?"
EU Cookie Law | Cookie Directive
The years' grace period is coming to an end next month!

From 26th May 2012 UK websites should be asking visitors to explicitly 'opt in/out' from accepting Cookies for 'none critical' website use.

ICO information here

Even things like Google Analytics appear NOT to be exempt - but I can't believe every website running GA will introduce these changes?!?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.