GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Living' Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/12/01 at 13:48
Regular
I don't know if you have GTA3, but if or when you play it, you'll notice the people.. they walk round, as normal people... they fight, and shout, and err... offer their services!

The cars are the same... well, they don't open their doors and ask you to steal them, but you get the idea. The same goes for the time, the atmosphere, natural light...

I don't know how to go on, other than to say i'm rather impressed with this. Actually programming a 'world' is quite hard to do... not just the typing of the keys *click click click* - but knowing what to fit in... for example.. you might not have noticed that in GTA3 there are no busses driving on routes... (At least i've never seen one) They don't stop at 'stops' or anything. However, after you've got your bearings and thrown away all the tear-drenched tissues, you might notice little pleasantries like how the old women always bump into people, and then blame THEM, when all the time they were staring at the ground, clueless as to what was infront of them...

Zelda was also good for living worlds... even the older games had rain and characters in the later GBC Zeldas even moved about and did 'stuff'... Ocarina of Time had the Day-Night system, with which certain 'baddies' and openings were controlled and given the cue to do what they did.

I suppose Black and White, and, come to think of it, most Strategy games have quite advanced worlds... maybe not super-A.I, but regardless, they still look like they know what they're doing...

I've recently been playing Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy... an amazing game to say the least, and it too sports a day and night system, with certain characters being available only at certain times... Majoras Mask is antoher one!

So, what of it?.. the games have 'living breathing worlds' who cares... well, other than graphics, and some new ideas... the gaming industry, especially at-home gaming, is running out of things to do... look at Rare... as good as their games might be, they can't keep churning out a platformer here and there to augment their reputation... they need new ideas, and i'm sure they'll come after the Zelda-Rip off that is SFA and the Adults Pokémon is Kameo (Don't believe.... look at the games again! - Thank You!)...

I think these living worlds add quite a lot to the realism of a game... we still have a long way to go to get the perfect game, but i'm sure when it does come, the people will be unique, strange things will happen, we'll see real-life weather patterns.........

It WILL be a virtual world.

Ciao!

Game
Sun 09/12/01 at 20:19
Regular
Skull kid wrote:
"when you pick up the ho's if you look in the car when its bouncing they are just sitting there!"

lol
Sun 09/12/01 at 20:08
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Another unrealistic thing about GTA3. According to the game no people have sex and no more than 1 person will drive a car unless it is a policecar. :/
Sun 09/12/01 at 15:54
Regular
yeah i think that is too realistic
what next? oe bullet and you die? or your drive along and you run out of air in your tyres?
lol that would be funny
Sun 09/12/01 at 15:23
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Kid Rock wrote:
Have you seen how some gangsters rob people? and then they run away, now that is real life gaming for you.

Well put - gaming is getting more and more realistic and hopefully for the better. In games like GTA3, realism is a must, as every nook and cranny must be tended to, or the game will lose it seamlessness, whereas a game like Micro Machines lacks realism in the first place, so realism is not needed.

However, a game can get too realistic.

If GTA3 was completely realistic, it wouldn't be very fun would it? If you had to do the following to steal a car:

a) Unlock door
b) Open door
c) Shout obscenities at driver
d) Grab driver by shirt
e) Pull driver out of car
f) Get in car
g) Close door
h) Lock door

Where, in an unrealistic game, just press Square and it will do all of those in about 1.5 seconds.

Funny, isn't it?

FB.
Sun 09/12/01 at 15:20
Regular
Skull kid wrote:
> Zelda and GTA3 are the best games ever! And you can't get into the back of a
> taxi in GTA3 and when you pick up the ho's if you look in the car when its
> bouncing they are just sitting there!

GTA3 is better then Zelda because in zelda you cant drive a car and when you kill someone they dissapear

thats how picky your post was
Sun 09/12/01 at 15:13
Zelda and GTA3 are the best games ever! And you can't get into the back of a taxi in GTA3 and when you pick up the ho's if you look in the car when its bouncing they are just sitting there!
Sun 09/12/01 at 15:08
Regular
I have seen buses stop at bus stops.
but they dont let any one on. That is how i got the bus when i needed to do a job i swaw it stopped at the stop.

Have you seen how some gangsters rob people? and then they run away, now that is real life gaming for you.
Sun 09/12/01 at 13:48
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I don't know if you have GTA3, but if or when you play it, you'll notice the people.. they walk round, as normal people... they fight, and shout, and err... offer their services!

The cars are the same... well, they don't open their doors and ask you to steal them, but you get the idea. The same goes for the time, the atmosphere, natural light...

I don't know how to go on, other than to say i'm rather impressed with this. Actually programming a 'world' is quite hard to do... not just the typing of the keys *click click click* - but knowing what to fit in... for example.. you might not have noticed that in GTA3 there are no busses driving on routes... (At least i've never seen one) They don't stop at 'stops' or anything. However, after you've got your bearings and thrown away all the tear-drenched tissues, you might notice little pleasantries like how the old women always bump into people, and then blame THEM, when all the time they were staring at the ground, clueless as to what was infront of them...

Zelda was also good for living worlds... even the older games had rain and characters in the later GBC Zeldas even moved about and did 'stuff'... Ocarina of Time had the Day-Night system, with which certain 'baddies' and openings were controlled and given the cue to do what they did.

I suppose Black and White, and, come to think of it, most Strategy games have quite advanced worlds... maybe not super-A.I, but regardless, they still look like they know what they're doing...

I've recently been playing Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy... an amazing game to say the least, and it too sports a day and night system, with certain characters being available only at certain times... Majoras Mask is antoher one!

So, what of it?.. the games have 'living breathing worlds' who cares... well, other than graphics, and some new ideas... the gaming industry, especially at-home gaming, is running out of things to do... look at Rare... as good as their games might be, they can't keep churning out a platformer here and there to augment their reputation... they need new ideas, and i'm sure they'll come after the Zelda-Rip off that is SFA and the Adults Pokémon is Kameo (Don't believe.... look at the games again! - Thank You!)...

I think these living worlds add quite a lot to the realism of a game... we still have a long way to go to get the perfect game, but i'm sure when it does come, the people will be unique, strange things will happen, we'll see real-life weather patterns.........

It WILL be a virtual world.

Ciao!

Game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.