GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Give Sony some credit!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/12/01 at 12:37
Regular
Do Sony get enough credit for what they have offered the games industry? I think not.

When they first entered the console industry back in 1995 with the PS1 no one really expected much of the grey box. Many thought it would just be a phase and when it demises Nintendo and Sega will rule again. But that did not happen, PS1 was a great succes and sold millions of consoles, far better than Sony ever dreamed. Before long Playstation became a household name and when mention everyone had some idea that it was a console machine. Many great games came out for it and again sold millions for it,the Platinum range is just one thing that shows this with many top titles becoming one, such as Driver, FF7, Tomb Raider and many more. The console was one the the biggest hits to the industry for a long time, and did excellently well. But that did not stop the critism coming.

It seems that when in sonys case, stats dont matter, if the console did well that does not make it good. And that seems to be the few around Sony for some reason, and this is seen in many places. The best example is right here, on the forums. Everyone knows that the Sega fans and Nintendo fans want Sony to do rubbish, and always tell us that our consoles are crap even though they match are even better there respective consoles. There common arguement is that the only reason PS1 sold well is because it was casual gamers that bought it, they just heard of it and thought it would be good, and so bought it. That though, i think is rubbish. Sony owners are more than casual gamers, we take our gaming as series as the rest do, and the huge number of sales of the PS1 is down to how good the console was, and what it offered us.

Still that was not enough, and still the PS1 gets critism today that it wrecked the industry, but how? By offering us a new look on games that had never been seen before? When the PS1 was released, lots more genres came about, granted some turned up on Saturn first, but the majority came to PS1. Games like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, the Epics that were Final Fantasy really took off here. Before PS1 games like these had never really been about, and if it was not for PS1, maybe they would not be with us now. You could argue that PS1 was set for a more mature age of gamers, as much of the percetage of games that came out were more mature themselves. Games like Tomb Raider which could be seen as Sonys mascot, and Resident Evil were aimed at an older audience, and held a plot like games before seemed to miss. This maybe a reason why we have a smaller amount of numbers in Platform games, where as Nintendo say have loads. The fact that PS1 had more adult games showed the developers that we did not really want them. But im not saying that Nintendo are childish, just that Sony went for a more mature audience than where Nintendo went for a more open one.

But again, still, even with some top games out, and huge success with the console, many people still wrote Sony off, even mags for rival consoles stated that the console was crap and should be steered clear of, which was totally wrong. Not only was it wrong, and they clearly did not use any facts to back there 'point' up with, they made all the other 'pawns' that read them say what is said here on a daily basis. Just because someone in a mag who has too much time on there hands and has not thought about looking at the facts first, decides to themselves that they think a console is crap, and decide to print that in there mag, is not only thick, needs to be sacked for printing rubbish.

In my eyes Sony have never got the credit they deserved. With the PS1 they attracted more people to the gaming industry in 5 years than Sega or nintendo had done for a long time. Not only that, they brought a great console to the world that has offered alot to not only me, but all the Sony owners around the world, and i myself knows nobody who was dissopointed with the console. People need to start being more open minded and stop looking at the decerations and the names on there console, and look at the facts, look at what each console has brough to the industry and then make a judgement, and i can tell you that Sony have offered a lot more than they have been given credit for.

Even when they announced the release of PS2, immediatly all the Nintys and Sega fans jumped to there guns and shouted out endlessly that the console will be crap. And they were completly wrong as its far from crap, its another ground braking console from Sony with everything you would want, great specs and great games that are out and are coming out. And when they relised this what did they do? 'it looks crap though so it is' PLEASE!!! Come up with something more origanal, the fact is that at the moment its the best console out there, and when the GC and X-box are out it will be more than capable of defending its self.

But then, there is another arguement, the PS2 will only do well because its got a head start that some of you come out with. Well whose fault is that? The Sega and Nintendo machines had a huge headstart on PS1 when that was released, but that still did great. The only reason PS2 will do well is that many people know that it is a good console and therefore buy it.

Sony deserve more credit than they have ever been given, they have more than risen the profile of the gaming industry, just look how much money it makes since they came into the buisness, its one of the top earning areas in the world economy. Its possible to say that if it was not for PS1, the industry may not be where it is today, with MANY good consoles out for you to choose.

So next time you Sony haters decide to 'attack' Sony, think what they have brought to the industry, and give them some credit.

Pro
Tue 11/12/01 at 17:24
Regular
"  "
well thats what it said in the papers....then again the tabloids like to bull alot
Mon 10/12/01 at 09:23
Regular
I hadn`t realised Microsoft had actually been forced into court for it. I knew the screenshots had been found out, but didn`t think it had mattered that much.
Sun 09/12/01 at 17:45
Regular
"  "
to enlighten u........microsoft got sued for releasing false promotion vids...they were rendered and should have said so but they didn't and got sued...i trhought everone knew?
Sun 09/12/01 at 15:47
Regular
yeh the way every thing is different in the third place
Sun 09/12/01 at 15:29
Regular
"Bah"
2 true Kid Rock!
Sun 09/12/01 at 14:43
Regular
Yeh i love the third place adverts that they do.
They have stopped making them and now focus on showing in game graphics in their adverts (jak and Daxter being a good example, So you actually see what the game will be like instead of them rubbish FIFA 2002 adverts showing brillaint FMVs and then when you buy it its nothing like it. (glad i didnt get it)
Sun 09/12/01 at 14:30
Regular
Kid Rock wrote:

"The reason that Sony do so well is because they are good at marketing."

Very very true. Probably one of the biggest reasons for Sony's success. One of the main reasons for the Playstation system for selling loads was becasue the console was seen to be "cool". THe DC could have been succesful if the advertised in the same way, and not the stupid 6 billion players adds. To be honest, i didnt even see any other adds for the DC.
Sun 09/12/01 at 14:26
Regular
Sony do deserve a lot of credit, All these People who said that the Dreamcast would kill the PS2 off but the Dreamcast couldnt even kill off the PS1.
Who would have thought it?

If i had of said to you "The PS1 will still be around after the Dreamcast has been stopped" i would have been laughed at.

The reason that Sony do so well is because they are good at marketing.
Sun 09/12/01 at 14:23
adrian wrote:
> Natbuc wrote:
> and it looks like they will remain the best...honestly
> microsoft...what were
> they thinking...oh well at least they have been
> found out (Any one who hasn't
> seen the news about x-box being sued then u
> won't know what i'm on about)

Can you enlighten us about this please.

I think he's talking about the fact that another small company in America already had the name X-box and copyrighted it or something so they took Microsoft to court, but Microsoft gave them a big out of court settlement. Well at least i think thats what happened not to sure about the fine details.
Sun 09/12/01 at 14:18
Regular
Very true, the reason the thid parties all came to SOny were becasue sony offered more help to Developers and it was much cheaper for the developer to make games for the PS1. The N64 was a b!tch to develop for, and Nintendo offered very little support to third party developers...not to mention the stupid idea of going ahead with a cart based console.

I dont believe the success of sony in the console market was down to one main thing. But a number of smaller factors, some of sony's doing and some of Nintendo's mistakes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.