GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion'.
Sun 20/02/11 at 22:01
Regular
The elder scrolls iv oblivion is one of the most open ended single player RPG's out there. No two people will experience it in the same way.

Graphics / Details
This game is beautiful, lush, crisp and so much more. The draw distance blew me away i read about going to the highest point in the game and looking out over tamriel, and so i made that my top priority once i escaped the prison. Once i got to the top i started looking around and with the help of the map i identified the cities i saw below. of course i could only see to the imperial city and cities in between it and me, but the imperial city was several miles away in literal terms so that isnt so bad. Its pretty damn accurate.

Audio
bethesda really pulled out all the stops with the voice acting, they got some pretty big names voice the main characters like Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean. Of course the voice of the everyday folk were some what limited the voicing was still good. But keep in mind Bethesda wanted this game to fit on a Single DVD and there are limits to what you can do when you try something like that. I can only imagine what the game would be like if Microsoft hadn't chucked the built in HD-DVD player idea. As for the in-game music it is light and relaxing just there to fill the spaces really and it changes when a monster or bandit or whatever is chasing you it works almost like a proximity sensor.

Gameplay
Well this is a Open Ended First Person Action RPG, and though it isn't perfect it is certainly close. The sword fighting is much improved from previous first person games, still it seems limited. But I don't know really how they could make it better, Unless they made it for the Wii and used the Wii-mote. Of course there is no way the Wii could handle it with out major re-tooling of a lot of the game. So though not perfect the Sword fighting is better then it ever has been. But you are not limited to a sword, and actually you don't have to use one at all if you don't want. There are Bows, Staffs, Axes, Clubs, and Magic. I went through the game once using nothing but a Bow and Magic, I believe it was my third time through.

This Game works on a Skills System, for those of you who haven't played previous games in the series I will explain. When you start out the game you have to either pick a class or you can make your own. I always make my own because I like leveling up and becoming more power in the game. You want to make your 7 skills things you will use a lot. For instance if you know you will use a Axe in the game all the time pick Blunt, if you want to be a good thief pick sneak. This way you are leveling up based on what you are going to actually do in the game as opposed to having to do things to level up.

The Fast Transit system is much improved over Morrowind too. In Morrowind you had to go to the Mages Guild or a Silt Strider (taxi service) to fast transit to places. In Oblivion once you have been somewhere you can go back there anytime from anywhere.

Another improvement was the housing system, you can buy a house in every city so if you prefer to live in a certain city all you have to do is find out who owns it and buy it from them. Most of the time the city owns the house but not always.

Lastly, Horses in my opinion one of the biggest let downs in the game. Sure you could get some where faster but you couldn't fight on them and I like fighting and leveling up. I used one once for about thirty minutes and then never road one again.

Story
The story starts in typical Bethesda fashion, You are a prisoner for a crime that you yourself don't even know about. You wake up in a cell and find that somehow you were meant to be there, and that the fate of all of Tamriel rests in your hands. To sum up the rest of the story from Bethesda's point of view, I will quote a line from the Matrix, "Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you."

Now this game is long and overall, but the Main Quest is not it should only take you about 10 to 15 hours maybe. I honestly don't know because no matter how many times I tried to ignore the side quests and go through ONLY the Main Quest I would inevitably fail and start doing the side quests. It almost seems like they don't want you to play the Main Quest because they keep throwing people in your path that want your help, or to kill you.

Last but not least my final opinion on the game
Well I logged about 300 hours into the game, now you can't do all the side quests in one play through, some quests cannot be done if others have, ie. If you kill someone for a quest you obviously can't take a quest from the, because they are now dead.

This game really can take as long as you want it to take, and to really get the coolest weapons and armor in the game you have to level up. Everything in the game is relative to your level, so there is some reward to playing longer if you want all the goodies.

Graphics 10/10
Audio 10/10
Gameplay 9/10
Story 9/10
Lasting Value 9/10
Mon 21/02/11 at 18:51
Regular
Mon 21/02/11 at 17:11
Regular
"How Ironic"
Fantastic. A really a good review there.
Mon 21/02/11 at 15:17
Regular
Thanks for the feedback, i agree it wasnt very detailed and seems somewhat rushed. Its also unlikely to help users who are thinking of buying the game, so i have spent a large time writing up a new one. I think i have covered all the main aspects of the game.
Sun 20/02/11 at 22:09
Regular
"How Ironic"
Hey there KieranGamer16 :)

Thanks for posting a review. I think you need to rethink the review, as it's not very detailed. Certain aspects of games should be covered (graphics, audio, lifespan of game, multiplayer, other game modes etc.) By covering all these areas in detail, and any others you can think of, you'll find your review will be much more in-depth and useful to other users. I'll give you a week or so to remedy this, or I'll have to request it be removed for the benefit of the other forum users.

Thanks.
Sun 20/02/11 at 22:01
Regular
The elder scrolls iv oblivion is one of the most open ended single player RPG's out there. No two people will experience it in the same way.

Graphics / Details
This game is beautiful, lush, crisp and so much more. The draw distance blew me away i read about going to the highest point in the game and looking out over tamriel, and so i made that my top priority once i escaped the prison. Once i got to the top i started looking around and with the help of the map i identified the cities i saw below. of course i could only see to the imperial city and cities in between it and me, but the imperial city was several miles away in literal terms so that isnt so bad. Its pretty damn accurate.

Audio
bethesda really pulled out all the stops with the voice acting, they got some pretty big names voice the main characters like Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean. Of course the voice of the everyday folk were some what limited the voicing was still good. But keep in mind Bethesda wanted this game to fit on a Single DVD and there are limits to what you can do when you try something like that. I can only imagine what the game would be like if Microsoft hadn't chucked the built in HD-DVD player idea. As for the in-game music it is light and relaxing just there to fill the spaces really and it changes when a monster or bandit or whatever is chasing you it works almost like a proximity sensor.

Gameplay
Well this is a Open Ended First Person Action RPG, and though it isn't perfect it is certainly close. The sword fighting is much improved from previous first person games, still it seems limited. But I don't know really how they could make it better, Unless they made it for the Wii and used the Wii-mote. Of course there is no way the Wii could handle it with out major re-tooling of a lot of the game. So though not perfect the Sword fighting is better then it ever has been. But you are not limited to a sword, and actually you don't have to use one at all if you don't want. There are Bows, Staffs, Axes, Clubs, and Magic. I went through the game once using nothing but a Bow and Magic, I believe it was my third time through.

This Game works on a Skills System, for those of you who haven't played previous games in the series I will explain. When you start out the game you have to either pick a class or you can make your own. I always make my own because I like leveling up and becoming more power in the game. You want to make your 7 skills things you will use a lot. For instance if you know you will use a Axe in the game all the time pick Blunt, if you want to be a good thief pick sneak. This way you are leveling up based on what you are going to actually do in the game as opposed to having to do things to level up.

The Fast Transit system is much improved over Morrowind too. In Morrowind you had to go to the Mages Guild or a Silt Strider (taxi service) to fast transit to places. In Oblivion once you have been somewhere you can go back there anytime from anywhere.

Another improvement was the housing system, you can buy a house in every city so if you prefer to live in a certain city all you have to do is find out who owns it and buy it from them. Most of the time the city owns the house but not always.

Lastly, Horses in my opinion one of the biggest let downs in the game. Sure you could get some where faster but you couldn't fight on them and I like fighting and leveling up. I used one once for about thirty minutes and then never road one again.

Story
The story starts in typical Bethesda fashion, You are a prisoner for a crime that you yourself don't even know about. You wake up in a cell and find that somehow you were meant to be there, and that the fate of all of Tamriel rests in your hands. To sum up the rest of the story from Bethesda's point of view, I will quote a line from the Matrix, "Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you."

Now this game is long and overall, but the Main Quest is not it should only take you about 10 to 15 hours maybe. I honestly don't know because no matter how many times I tried to ignore the side quests and go through ONLY the Main Quest I would inevitably fail and start doing the side quests. It almost seems like they don't want you to play the Main Quest because they keep throwing people in your path that want your help, or to kill you.

Last but not least my final opinion on the game
Well I logged about 300 hours into the game, now you can't do all the side quests in one play through, some quests cannot be done if others have, ie. If you kill someone for a quest you obviously can't take a quest from the, because they are now dead.

This game really can take as long as you want it to take, and to really get the coolest weapons and armor in the game you have to level up. Everything in the game is relative to your level, so there is some reward to playing longer if you want all the goodies.

Graphics 10/10
Audio 10/10
Gameplay 9/10
Story 9/10
Lasting Value 9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.