GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Video Reviews on the Forum"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/02/11 at 22:00
Regular
"How Ironic"
I believe this is a topic that has been brought up before. The idea is using video reviews for others users to view via a link in your review post instead of writing out a review for others to read. Obviously there are a few problems with this, such as having to use a site outside of Freeola (YouTube for example), thus taking people away from the site. Despite this, it's not technically taking traffic away. In fact, it could help Freeola forums recieve more traffic. Simple lists below will explain.

Pros
-Ability to include game clips in the review
-Can be more fun to create a video review rather than writing a review
-More creativity involved
-If a reviewer gets a following on YouTube, their videos could lead their suscribers to the forums, thus increasing traffic (perhaps have a rule in place where the reviewer has to put a clip at the start of the review eg. "Made for Freeola Forums - chat.freeola.com"
-Not a problem with reading reviews, but perhaps watching/listening to a review once in awhile would add a bit of variation to the forum

Cons
-Variety of sites host video, and thus users will have to redirect to them
-Video review could have a negative effect and make people viewing the video on YouTube stray away from Freeola (although I don't see how this is any different to people voicing their opinion using text, so not a real problem)
-Difficult to moderate.
-More time consuming to make video reviews
-Expense of recording footage

This is open to discussion, maybe just get a few thoughts about the idea. Personally, I'm all for video reviews. I think it will bring a different dimension to the forums.
Sat 19/02/11 at 18:42
Regular
"How Ironic"
If video reviews were going to be implemented into the site, it would have to be through another site via links, no doubt about it.

Thanks for your views guys. I still don't see what harm it could do, obviously it's an optional type of media that could be used, and could benefit everyone. If you're willing to upload videos with gameclips etc. (examples from ingame, maybe music (although copyrights issues could arise from this), then it's good for the forum, because I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind listening and watching once in awhile as oppose to reading every single review that gets submitted to the site.
Sat 19/02/11 at 18:30
Regular
"Carpe Diem"
Hmm, I did once play with the idea of video reviews altough I found they often require a more "casual" style than what I enjoy in my work. On a plus side, the addition of footage, transitions and music really helps to describe the game in ways which are difficult in pure writing.

As for me though, I think I still prefer to write old fashioned written reviews. I enjoy writing both creatively and informatively anyway, so such thing's are naturally what I would tend to stick to.

Video Reviews are good though, but they take a lot longer to make and of course, there's the matter of bandwidth (if not YouTube)
Sat 19/02/11 at 13:54
Regular
"Short Attention Sp"
Anyone who is reviewing games does not want anoymity. Even if they are only going under a pseudonym, they almost certainly want that to be their 'identity', as it were.

For me, the biggest problem is capturing footage. As it involves expense above and beyond just getting the games, it is expense I am unwilling to part with until I have some kind of bonus. This is the main reason I have never done a video review, because nobody wants to watch shaky-cam footage of me shouting at a TV!
Sat 19/02/11 at 13:34
Regular
"How Ironic"
By the way, if anyone can think of any other 'Pros and Cons', I'll add them to the list.
Fri 18/02/11 at 22:40
Regular
"How Ironic"
Nin wrote:
It's something I've been in favour of for a while. How well it would work is another matter entirely, I'm not convinced people would want to give up the veil of anonymity the internet offers.

I guess so, but there's nothing stopping the forum having a mixture of written reviews and video reviews. I'm sure for every person who would prefer to stay anonymous, there is a person who doesn't mind voicing over some gameclips for a few minutes.
Fri 18/02/11 at 22:25
Regular
"Monochromatic"
It's something I've been in favour of for a while. How well it would work is another matter entirely, I'm not convinced people would want to give up the veil of anonymity the internet offers.
Fri 18/02/11 at 22:00
Regular
"How Ironic"
I believe this is a topic that has been brought up before. The idea is using video reviews for others users to view via a link in your review post instead of writing out a review for others to read. Obviously there are a few problems with this, such as having to use a site outside of Freeola (YouTube for example), thus taking people away from the site. Despite this, it's not technically taking traffic away. In fact, it could help Freeola forums recieve more traffic. Simple lists below will explain.

Pros
-Ability to include game clips in the review
-Can be more fun to create a video review rather than writing a review
-More creativity involved
-If a reviewer gets a following on YouTube, their videos could lead their suscribers to the forums, thus increasing traffic (perhaps have a rule in place where the reviewer has to put a clip at the start of the review eg. "Made for Freeola Forums - chat.freeola.com"
-Not a problem with reading reviews, but perhaps watching/listening to a review once in awhile would add a bit of variation to the forum

Cons
-Variety of sites host video, and thus users will have to redirect to them
-Video review could have a negative effect and make people viewing the video on YouTube stray away from Freeola (although I don't see how this is any different to people voicing their opinion using text, so not a real problem)
-Difficult to moderate.
-More time consuming to make video reviews
-Expense of recording footage

This is open to discussion, maybe just get a few thoughts about the idea. Personally, I'm all for video reviews. I think it will bring a different dimension to the forums.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.