GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should We Scrap The Honours System?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/06/07 at 14:40
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
The Queens birthday honours were announced today with Ian Botham being knighted for his services to charity and Salman Rushdie for his servies to literature being the big two.

Lots of people think the honours system is outdated and want it scrapped and lately it's integrity has been brought into question with people including the prime minister being interviewed by the police investigating whether honours have been bought.

People are nominated for an honour for doing various things like being the best in their profession, charity work or for long time service to a community / organisation etc and the classes are:

Sir / Dame - for work on an internation scale
CBE - for work on a national scale
OBE - for work on a regional scale
MBE - for work on a local level

So do you think the honours system should be scrapped? Or do you think that people should be recognised by the governement / Queen for their work?

I personally think the honours system is as relevant today as it always has been and want it to stay. OK there are always going to be people who get overlooked but I think that people who are dedicated and committed to their cause deserve recognition and that an honour is a good way of showing that.
Thu 28/06/07 at 13:31
"possibly impossible"
I understand your issues with the Queen giving out the honours, how about if it was a national event with everyone voting for it or at least suggesting why someone should be given an honour (with at least 1 A4 page describing why, to cut down on timewasters).
Sat 23/06/07 at 17:03
Regular
"fiction - friction"
I guess I just find the whole thing... (can't think of the word). It's like in accepting one of these awards the person is bowing before the great superior one, So grateful, ma'am (cap in hand) Thankyou, my queen, thankyou thankyou.
If I were a charity worker, say, I'd rather be awarded something from the people I've actually helped. That would be more than enough.

And when celebs (or famous whoevers) get something (and let's face it, they're the only ones we really hear about), it's just another way for them to brush their egos. And then they always say the same thing don't they: It's a great honour. Blurrrr smugface.

And as someone mentioned earlier, there's the question of buying the damn things by injecting huge amounts of cash into political parties. But that's slightly off topic.
Sat 23/06/07 at 16:28
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Tiramisu wrote:
> I hear what you're saying, but aren't there things like the
> National Teacher's Award, and those Courage awards (you know,
> with Carol Voderman), and no doubt many more in the different
> fields.

I think you have to make the distinct of what these things are awarding. Cristiano Ronaldo won PFA player of the year. He did so because his fellow professionals deemed him the best footballer this season. He didnt win it for his contributions to society, his charity work, being a model professional or anything else. The honours system isnt necessarily about rewarding people who were just good at their jobs or picking the best.

> And when they give an MBE to super-friendly lollipop lady or a
> selfless roadsweeper I always think "PR exercise!"

But if shes made a worthwhile contribution, why not? When people are nominated they have to present a significant body of evidence as to why they should receive an award as well. So theres always some justification. And who else is there to recognise her contributions?
Sat 23/06/07 at 15:23
Regular
"fiction - friction"
I hear what you're saying, but aren't there things like the National Teacher's Award, and those Courage awards (you know, with Carol Voderman), and no doubt many more in the different fields.
And when they give an MBE to super-friendly lollipop lady or a selfless roadsweeper I always think "PR exercise!"
And Knight of the Realm and all that antiquated claptrap, what does it all mean, really.
Sat 23/06/07 at 15:11
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Tiramisu wrote:
> Yes. There's enough awards already in all the particular fields.

Not really, you should remember that the awards that go to sports people and others with a high profile is only a small amount of the actual awards that are given out.

> Surely it's better to be acknowledged and respected by your
> peers than by The Queen (and whoever decides who gets what).

I think it was about 950 that got nominated in the latest list. Its fair to say that alot of them are not in any position to receive any sort of public recognition.
Sat 23/06/07 at 11:13
Regular
"fiction - friction"
Yes. There's enough awards already in all the particular fields. Surely it's better to be acknowledged and respected by your peers than by The Queen (and whoever decides who gets what). It's just an ego trip really, as opposed to say, being voted footballer of the year by your fellow professionals, or winning single of the year as voted by Radio One listeners... urm, you know what I mean :S
Sun 17/06/07 at 13:43
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
They really could be scrapped, yes, as some of the awardees do diminish the vlaue, but to be honest I can say that I have a (pretty distant) relative with a MBE, which sounds impressive, so I'm not complaining too much! And some of these normal, everyday people who don't seem to have done much may well have in the eyes of others - and it makes good happy-clappy news stories.

But they do need to be handed out to people who really have made great achievements, though to be honest it's hard to designate what truly merits one to be given, as of course some people are more prominent than others, and achievements vary in different peoples' eyes. I'm not the sort of person who reckons, say, a glorified flower arranger deserves one in comparrison to, say, successful inventors, or people from the field of business, academia etc.
Sun 17/06/07 at 09:58
Regular
Line up, commoner, to receive a gold star from your Monarch. Haven't you done well.
I've nothing against awards/honours but this system seems somewhat childish to me. It's like headmistress giving out ribands at school assembly.
And then there's the question of corruption/favouritism (cash for honours/peerages etc).
Sat 16/06/07 at 22:08
Regular
"lets go back"
I agree. I'm a huge fan of Steven Gerrard, but does being a decent footballer really mean he should get an honour. More to the point, do the other two deserve it either?

A whole host of actors, tv presenters, musicians and sports stars get honours for seemingly (or to me at least) nothing.

I like the honours idea, but too many crap people are getting them.
Sat 16/06/07 at 16:31
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I'm a fan of the honour system actually. But I think there needs to be a better system of assignment. There doesnt seem to be any kind of consistency with recognition, you can see that particularly in sports. Ryan Giggs is to receive an OBE. Model professional, does alot of charity work and has won everything in the game at club level. You can probably say its a fair award. Teddy Sheringham is to receive an MBE too, again given hes played until hes 40 at the top level, I think probably fair. Yet Stephen Gerrard already has an MBE and hes not even half way through his career. I think its really hard to claim his contributions are as significant as Ryan Giggs/Teddy Sheringham at this point, no matter how well he performed in a champions league final.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.