GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Android Market - "Security Certificate Error" "

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/02/11 at 11:18
"Are you sure?"
Really enjoying my Android phone...

The newly revamped Android Market does some pretty clever stuff.

Install Apps to your phone by using your PC
Signing in with the same Gmail account that you use on your phone allows you to add the phone (or Android device) using your PC session so that you can browse the Market from a PC and install Apps directly to your phone 'over the air' - no wires (or iTunes!!!) it just finds your phone and uses 3G or wifi if it's available.

It works really well. I've just installed a 'Wifi Analyser' application while I'm typing this. Obviously you can do things the old fashioned way and use the phone but it's more comfortable reading reviews etc. from a full size monitor.

One thing I am surprised with though is Google seem to have made a "school boy error" with the site's Security Certificate.

When I sign in to Android Market (using IE) I receive this warning:
"There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.
Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
"

When you view the error details for the "Mismatched Address" you find the certificate is for *.google.com (while the website is android.com).

So I'm happy to proceed as "I love Google" - but it seems a bit strange. Using non-IE browsers doesn't cause the security error so perhaps it's just IE being too sensitive but it's still a big user market (did you see what I did there!).

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 15/02/11 at 11:31
"Are you sure?"
Yep - about normal as you say. Even Apple release new Touches on roughly the same schedule.

But it's still running Android - so as I mentioned earlier virtually all Apps will run on it...

NB.
@HTC's Twitter/FB 9.30am 'release' failed to happen until 9.50 so they looked pretty stupid this morning!

[s]Hmmm...[/s] @twitter
Tue 15/02/11 at 11:18
Regular
See what I mean Hmmm. They just announced the new HTC WIldfire S coming to Europe this spring.

edit: oh wait thats about the time the HTC Wildfire came out last year. So I guess thats normal.
Tue 15/02/11 at 01:02
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Well whatever, we both know I never mentioned ebook readers.
Mon 14/02/11 at 23:04
Regular
I suppose they are tablets, but I wouldn't put the Kindle and Nook in the same category as the iPad.
Mon 14/02/11 at 17:18
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
The iPad isnt low priced, they just proved that there was an appetite for these sorts of devices even at high price points. You only have to look at some of the cheaper tablets that are half the price to know theres nothing that necessitates the prices that Samung, Apple, LG, Motorola etc are putting on their devices.
Mon 14/02/11 at 16:08
Regular
Competition is great for consumers.

Ive been following all the tablet news today. Apple really made it tough for the competition when they released the iPad at such a low price. Its not even a year old yet and despite releasing the Samsung Galaxy Tab a few months ago they already plan to bring out its successor next month before the iPad 2 launch.
Mon 14/02/11 at 11:14
"Are you sure?"
On the BBC today:
Google Android dominates Mobile World Congress show
and Android marches on

Providers are a bottleneck for the latest releases of Android - they can take their time releasing updates (unless you 'root' your phone so you aren't locked).

Mind you that's similar to Apple updates.
i.e. A first gen iPod Touch can't run the latest iOS...

My household has both iOS and Android devices and I like them both. But, for me, Android looks to have the more interesting future.

EDIT:
You also currently have a much larger choice of provider (and manufacturer) with Android.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 14/02/11 at 11:01
Regular
Ah I think the creator of Angry Birds has found the problem.

“Apple will be the number one platform for a long time from a developer perspective, they have gotten so many things right. And they know what they are doing and they call the shots. Android is growing, but it’s also growing complexity at the same time. Device fragmentation not the issue, but rather the fragmentation of the ecosystem. So many different shops, so many different models. The carriers messing with the experience again. Open but not really open, a very Google centric ecosystem. And paid content just doesn’t work on Android.“

So it looks like its the handset makers causing the most pain for developers by trying to make their own version of Android unique.

The iPhone is still on only one carrier in Japan, unfortunately Im on their version of Verizon with the majority of Japanese. Im hoping the iPhone 5 will be on both carriers, but if not I'll find myself a nice Android phone and wait.
Mon 14/02/11 at 09:15
"Are you sure?"
That's the good thing, you code for an OS not a device (99% of the time). So one Android app should work on all/most Android phones.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 13/02/11 at 19:12
Regular
59p isnt too much though :)

Ive not tried Android yet. It bothers me that a better Android phone comes out every other week. It must be hard for all those developers trying to make an app that will work on 50 different devices. I certainly wouldnt want to design a website for 50 different browsers.

Anyway according to Microsofts new mobile company (formerly known as Nokia) their first priority is beating Android. I really cant see that happening.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.