GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming shops"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/12/01 at 17:59
Regular
Whenever I go into a shop that sells games, and my mum is with me (rarely! - 'Cyclone blushes and disappears quickly')
she waits outside. Why the stigma towards games. People say that games are a waste of time, and the younger generation should be doing more productive things, but that is what a lot of young people do - they play games - it is their 'playing cowboys and Indians' - That is what they do, and there is no use complainig.

Anyway, about shops - could they not be spruced up a bit? Interactive centres that tell you release dates, prices, and the like would be very useful - is it worth buying this now, or waiting for this? Why do people never talk to each other? Last month, I say a dad buying Superman 64 for his son - who was obviously oblivious to the fact that his father was about to shell out £20 for a pile of poo. I nearly said something, but social stigma stopped me. Computer games shops, and the people that use them, could develop a bit - More interactivness would be usefl and welcome.

P.S The dad also looked very moody, so I decided not to on that basis as well!
Tue 08/02/11 at 20:49
moondog wrote:
> Adrenaline Junkie wrote:
> Evenin..........
>
> The ride for tomorrow is Longridge Fell.
> This is a firm favourite with all the team :)
> At night, this is another beast of a ride with superb DH
> lasting
> for ages!
>
> Meet at the far end (furthest from the pub) of Ribchester Arms
> car park at 17:45
>
> Eddie is fit and well and ready for riding once more :-)

I know you just lurrrrrrrrrrrve this one lol!
Tue 08/02/11 at 20:44
Regular
Adrenaline Junkie wrote:
> Evenin..........
>
> The ride for tomorrow is Longridge Fell.
> This is a firm favourite with all the team :)
> At night, this is another beast of a ride with superb DH lasting
> for ages!
>
> Meet at the far end (furthest from the pub) of Ribchester Arms
> car park at 17:45

Eddie is fit and well and ready for riding once more :-)
Tue 08/02/11 at 20:42
Evenin..........

The ride for tomorrow is Longridge Fell.
This is a firm favourite with all the team :)
At night, this is another beast of a ride with superb DH lasting for ages!

Meet at the far end (furthest from the pub) of Ribchester Arms car park at 17:45
Sat 08/12/01 at 18:30
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
During the eighties, where I was gorwing up, there was a computer game shop called 'RAM Electronics'...

Although it was a fairly small shop by todays standards, I understand it was quite a widly respected establishment...

(They used to manufacture the best Speccy Joystick Adapters)

anyway... :)

I remember is specifically because it had such a social atmosphere...

There were quite a few kiddies who would go in on a Staurday and just hang around all day, chatting with the staff and finding out about the latest stuff...

At the same time it wasnt cliquey... if you were a parent comming in off the street, or a causal gamer, you wouldnt feel overwhelemed by eighties computer geeks... You never felt you had to worry if you were buying an unpopular title that anyone would snigger at your gaming choice...

There was good reason for its popularity... partly because it was a SMALL town, and there was very little else to do... they had an enourmous range of titles... games at this time comming mainly on cassette, and so they had shelves of thousands of titles side by side on the shelves... also because they always had a couple of arcade games in which always drew a competitive crowd... two classic games and one with whatever the new title of the week (Commando and Ghosts and Goblins both spring to mind)... they also had a few computers dotted around the place, where a potential gamer could try out the game before he made his purchase (with suitably comforatble seats to sit in whilst the game loaded)... but mainly because the staff were all pretty cool, all knew their stuff...

Problem was it was never really a 'professional' establishment... it never had the polish of the current crop of gaming establishments, and never loooked as smart... but it did have soul, and it was a fun place to buy games :)
Sat 08/12/01 at 18:15
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
All the shops look the same. There are one or two that are lay out differently, this makes a more sociable atmosphere to talk to other people. I sure do hope that someone gets a bright idea and changes the layout of some of these stores. Sometimes you walk in there, knowing what you want but come out empty handed. Why? Because you can’t find it and the store staff are no help at all. Most of them don’t know a dam thing about any of the consoles, if they do it will only be a little bit one on of the ones they own.

Oh and on your point about parents and people saying that games are a waste of time. A lot of them people as say that the youth of today aren’t as sociable and alert because of playing games. I think that this is a load of cr*p. The reason is because I have my mates coming around to play games I go around theirs and we are interacting with each other. A lot of people seem to think all you do is stare at a TV screen, as this maybe partly true you do also interact.

Playing games has also improved people’s reactions and alertness. The amount of games where you have to be alert and have quick reactions certainly does have an effect on you after awhile. You learn to react quicker and be more alert, just like when you are driving a car.
Sat 08/12/01 at 17:59
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Whenever I go into a shop that sells games, and my mum is with me (rarely! - 'Cyclone blushes and disappears quickly')
she waits outside. Why the stigma towards games. People say that games are a waste of time, and the younger generation should be doing more productive things, but that is what a lot of young people do - they play games - it is their 'playing cowboys and Indians' - That is what they do, and there is no use complainig.

Anyway, about shops - could they not be spruced up a bit? Interactive centres that tell you release dates, prices, and the like would be very useful - is it worth buying this now, or waiting for this? Why do people never talk to each other? Last month, I say a dad buying Superman 64 for his son - who was obviously oblivious to the fact that his father was about to shell out £20 for a pile of poo. I nearly said something, but social stigma stopped me. Computer games shops, and the people that use them, could develop a bit - More interactivness would be usefl and welcome.

P.S The dad also looked very moody, so I decided not to on that basis as well!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.