GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Fable III"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Fable III'.
Sun 30/01/11 at 19:20
Regular
Being a big fan of the Fable games so far, I was eager to get my teeth stuck into Fable III. I wondered how Fable III could follow on from the brilliant game of Fable II, and wondered how the story set in the world of Albion, would continue. The character you played in Fable II becomes a Hero, and in Fable III you play the son or daughter of that Hero, and your elder brother is King Logan. It quickly becomes apparent that the citizens of Albion aren't happy with their king, and so you set off trying to recruit various allies to help you over throw the evil and mad king, your brother.

The Fable series is well known for it's good and evil aspects. You make choices through out the game which are good or bad, and can affect out the game spans out. The choices in Fable between the two are often glaringly obvious, and it actually starts to get rather annoying how the game likes to remind you of these choices.

The game started off pretty well, the setting of the new game is similar to the first but with greatly improved graphics. It's hasn't got a huge game play area compared to the likes of Fall Out or the expansive Oblivion, but what towns and countryside you do come across, there is certainly plenty to explore with dig spots for your dog to find or treasure chests scattered around. Along with the main quest there are various side quests you can do, there is plenty to keep you occupied.

It is quite early on however that the game began to such some terrible annoyances, and I couldn't understand why these changes had been made from Fable II. The whole interface has become overly simplified, sure this makes the game easier to pick up and play, but I found the controls frustrating. To view your current inventory including weapons and clothing, you have to go to 'The Sanctuary', which is a room with your butler in it, and 3 rooms leading off it depending on what you need. So what could be a simple process of changing your weapon via a quick in-game menu becomes a drawn out process of you going to the Sanctuary, then to the weapons run, then running up to dummies holding your weapons and choosing from there. This quickly became tiresome and I just longed for a quicker option. It doesn't end here, when you go into a shop to buy or sell items, your current inventory doesn't appear as a list, instead you have to approach pedestals upon which is the item you can buy. Every time you level up, you can't choose which areas you would like to upgrade, instead you are transported into a dream world which has chests which need unlocking, and you have to go up to these chests and choose your new upgrades. The whole menu system for the game was the biggest downfall for me, it was tiresome and annoying.

Next comes the interaction with villagers. In Fable II you could choose which interactions you wanted to use on villagers, however now when you greet a villager, you have to make do with the options that pop up. There is an evil option, a funny option, and the nice option, so depending on how you feel towards this villager depends on which interaction you carry out. It very quickly became annoying that you can't choose exactly what 'nice' interaction you can do, and the first one is always a romantic dance, which very quickly became boring.

The in-game combat still contains swords and spells, but in Fable III in the age of revolution there are now guns. I preferred the melee and spell combat options to the guns, and overall I didn't have too much problems with the combat system. The only problem came yet again, with the absence of the in-game menu. Now you can only heal when the option appears to do so, and will only appears when you are on low health, meaning you can't choose to heal a bit earlier on. There isn't any health indicator, you have to guess how long you have left once the blood starts appearing around the outside of the screen and the heart beat sound becomes prominent.

The storyline at first is really building up to something big, but at the end it all felt like a bit of an anti-climax, I was expecting a bit more to it than there was. There are some celebrity voices in this game, which came as a surprise. Stephen Fry was a voice in Fable II and appears again in Fable III, but also joined by John Cleese, Johnathan Ross and Simon Pegg. The voice of Johnathan Ross quickly became irritating, and the voice of John Cleese is now always going to be an annoyance to me. He plays the voice of the butler who is in The Sanctuary, and each time you enter he constantly asks to go and check out the Sanctuary Shop, which contains the game add-ons and extras you have to pay for.

Fable III felt rushed to me, and I did come across some bugs whilst playing. The golden trail which shows you where to go, would often stop working or send me in the wrong direction and it clearly wasn't well made. The game feels like it's been dumb downed a lot for the casual gamer, and it now makes a very light hearted and simple game compared to what I was expecting from previous offerings. The Fable series has come along way since the first game, but it feels like Fable III is barely any different from Fable II, and in a lot of instances is a much worse game. After finishing the game I felt a huge sense of disappointment, and it seems the rest of the game community have a similar opinion.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sun 30/01/11 at 19:20
Regular
Being a big fan of the Fable games so far, I was eager to get my teeth stuck into Fable III. I wondered how Fable III could follow on from the brilliant game of Fable II, and wondered how the story set in the world of Albion, would continue. The character you played in Fable II becomes a Hero, and in Fable III you play the son or daughter of that Hero, and your elder brother is King Logan. It quickly becomes apparent that the citizens of Albion aren't happy with their king, and so you set off trying to recruit various allies to help you over throw the evil and mad king, your brother.

The Fable series is well known for it's good and evil aspects. You make choices through out the game which are good or bad, and can affect out the game spans out. The choices in Fable between the two are often glaringly obvious, and it actually starts to get rather annoying how the game likes to remind you of these choices.

The game started off pretty well, the setting of the new game is similar to the first but with greatly improved graphics. It's hasn't got a huge game play area compared to the likes of Fall Out or the expansive Oblivion, but what towns and countryside you do come across, there is certainly plenty to explore with dig spots for your dog to find or treasure chests scattered around. Along with the main quest there are various side quests you can do, there is plenty to keep you occupied.

It is quite early on however that the game began to such some terrible annoyances, and I couldn't understand why these changes had been made from Fable II. The whole interface has become overly simplified, sure this makes the game easier to pick up and play, but I found the controls frustrating. To view your current inventory including weapons and clothing, you have to go to 'The Sanctuary', which is a room with your butler in it, and 3 rooms leading off it depending on what you need. So what could be a simple process of changing your weapon via a quick in-game menu becomes a drawn out process of you going to the Sanctuary, then to the weapons run, then running up to dummies holding your weapons and choosing from there. This quickly became tiresome and I just longed for a quicker option. It doesn't end here, when you go into a shop to buy or sell items, your current inventory doesn't appear as a list, instead you have to approach pedestals upon which is the item you can buy. Every time you level up, you can't choose which areas you would like to upgrade, instead you are transported into a dream world which has chests which need unlocking, and you have to go up to these chests and choose your new upgrades. The whole menu system for the game was the biggest downfall for me, it was tiresome and annoying.

Next comes the interaction with villagers. In Fable II you could choose which interactions you wanted to use on villagers, however now when you greet a villager, you have to make do with the options that pop up. There is an evil option, a funny option, and the nice option, so depending on how you feel towards this villager depends on which interaction you carry out. It very quickly became annoying that you can't choose exactly what 'nice' interaction you can do, and the first one is always a romantic dance, which very quickly became boring.

The in-game combat still contains swords and spells, but in Fable III in the age of revolution there are now guns. I preferred the melee and spell combat options to the guns, and overall I didn't have too much problems with the combat system. The only problem came yet again, with the absence of the in-game menu. Now you can only heal when the option appears to do so, and will only appears when you are on low health, meaning you can't choose to heal a bit earlier on. There isn't any health indicator, you have to guess how long you have left once the blood starts appearing around the outside of the screen and the heart beat sound becomes prominent.

The storyline at first is really building up to something big, but at the end it all felt like a bit of an anti-climax, I was expecting a bit more to it than there was. There are some celebrity voices in this game, which came as a surprise. Stephen Fry was a voice in Fable II and appears again in Fable III, but also joined by John Cleese, Johnathan Ross and Simon Pegg. The voice of Johnathan Ross quickly became irritating, and the voice of John Cleese is now always going to be an annoyance to me. He plays the voice of the butler who is in The Sanctuary, and each time you enter he constantly asks to go and check out the Sanctuary Shop, which contains the game add-ons and extras you have to pay for.

Fable III felt rushed to me, and I did come across some bugs whilst playing. The golden trail which shows you where to go, would often stop working or send me in the wrong direction and it clearly wasn't well made. The game feels like it's been dumb downed a lot for the casual gamer, and it now makes a very light hearted and simple game compared to what I was expecting from previous offerings. The Fable series has come along way since the first game, but it feels like Fable III is barely any different from Fable II, and in a lot of instances is a much worse game. After finishing the game I felt a huge sense of disappointment, and it seems the rest of the game community have a similar opinion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.