GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wireless router"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/01/11 at 15:52
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Would welcome any commets or observations :¬)

My present wireless router (D-Link DSL-G604T) has been a trusty workhorse since I migrated from Freeola Dial-up to Freeola broadband many moons ago. It was bought and supplied ready to go from Freeola - I digress.

Over the last few months the Wireless AP suddenly freezes. Only after accessing the router and restarting it (the AP) or restarting the entire router will it kick back into life again. Is this indicative of a possible future failure or perfectly 'normal' AP behaviour?

I'm not too bothered as my PC is 'hardwired' and doesn't need the wireless access but Mrs DL's laptop does!

Maybe, as a result of this problem, I was bought a new wireless router for Christmas - N150 Netgear Wireless ADSL2+ DGN1000. Does anyone have any experience of this router and is it easy to setup with my necessary connections ie Freeola. Freeola do publish a Netgear set-up guide, but is this applicable to this particular model?

I don't want to upset my existing setup unless it is advisable or necessary - you know the old adage....if it ain't broke etc etc.

Any comments would be appreciated :¬)
Sun 29/04/12 at 09:44
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
Glad to hear things are working well for you.

As I mentioned at the start of this thread - because you are on a decent line you can pretty much get away with using a bit of 'wet string' and you'll still get a good connection!

Router and Chipset choice really only become serious considerations when your line is longer/poorer quality. This means you can concentrate on using a router that has a better GUI and wireless options etc. and not worry so much about the ADSL side of things.

A Broadcom chipset router it still my recommendation for troublesome lines :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 28/04/12 at 20:13
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Finally took the plunge ;¬)

Everything had been performing as 'normal' so I decided to leave well alone .... until BF3 and its servers hit the scene!

Replaced D-Link with the Netgear yesterday and PC -> new router set up extremely easy and a better UI than the D-Link.

Laptop decided it would be awkward but capitulated in the end and 2nd PC and mobiles soon followed suit.

Very impressed with the Netgear's performance overall, especially the wireless performance.

However, the main interest was to be an improved server connection with BF3! Last night was dismal ... this last week had been dismal and I was hoping for an improvement ... not to be. BF3 'servers' are the pits! But that is life in the PC gaming world!

Interestingly, the performance of the D-Link and the Netgear are almost similar! Maybe the difference I see Hmmm, is the chipset?

D-Link

Netgear
Mon 14/03/11 at 15:48
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks webcity1, but done as standard many moons ago...but sound advice to any others and very simple to implement ;¬)
Mon 14/03/11 at 14:05
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I agree that the netgear webpage interface is the easiest way to go as already suggested.

however I would add 1 note of caution - hopefully i'm not stating the obvious but make sure you secure the use of the router - the most secure method is to restrict access to specific MAC addresses. You can add them when logged into the router as admin

if you need to check what a (windows) machines mac address is use the command "ipconfig /all" from a cmd window. I can't remember for a mac, but should be somewhere in system preferences / network

again, apologies if telling you what you already know!
Sat 29/01/11 at 12:15
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Morning Hmmm,

Good idea to use the laptop, thanks for the suggestion.
Sat 29/01/11 at 10:16
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
If you used the default '192' address range before then I would stick with that as it will keep things simple.

It's only a 5 minute job. What I would do is use your laptop to setup the router with your current ADSL login details. That way you don't have to touch your working setup until you want to swap things.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 28/01/11 at 19:19
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Hi DL,
Let us know how you get on.

Hi Hmmm....and many thanks (the thread was 'directed at you' mi ode son)...just wasn't trying to be specific :¬D

I needed 'valued' advice and that I have now received. I have viewed Netgear's site and had decided to 'use no cd install' from what I read anyway, but thanks.

The router connection details you quote are different to D-Link ie at the moment 192.168.1.1 but actual router login would be changed as standard protocol anyway. What addressing would you suggest?

As the existing router isn't 'broke' I may wait a while but the fact that this new one has been sitting here since Crimbo Day and now that I have had some valued advice, I may just put my redundancy days to some good use :¬D

Again, many thanks Hmmm...I'll certainly let you know the outcome.
Fri 28/01/11 at 17:18
"Are you sure?"
Hi DL,
All the Netgear routers are a piece of cake to setup! :¬)
They have one of the easiest to use GUIs about.

Don't use the CD etc. Just connect to the router using a network cable and login by visiting 192.168.0.1

I don't use their 'wizard' but just visit the basic ADSL settings page and enter your Freeola ADSL username and password and save the settings - that's usually all you have to do!
(assuming you are going to leave the 192 addressing in place - I change mine).

I would compare the username that's documented in MyFreeola to the username that's actually in use in your current router before you start.
There is sometimes a difference between 'freeola' and 'enta' within the username that can trip you up! i.e. MyFreeola sometimes has the wrong details.

You can then configure your wireless settings as required.

You are on a good line so can get away with more than those of us on longer lines. But your two routers have different chipsets in them so may behave differently. Here's an old page of mine showing the difference router chipsets can make. Broadcom is my favourite! It looks like the DGN1000 uses a SerComm chipset which I'm not familiar with.

Finally - I would change the default Netgear login details "admin/password". For the first time, just this week, I've seen someone who was infected with a virus and I found that it had logged in to their router and added dodgy Russian DNS settings taking them to iffy sites when anyone in the house did Google searches!

Let us know how you get on.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 28/01/11 at 15:52
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Would welcome any commets or observations :¬)

My present wireless router (D-Link DSL-G604T) has been a trusty workhorse since I migrated from Freeola Dial-up to Freeola broadband many moons ago. It was bought and supplied ready to go from Freeola - I digress.

Over the last few months the Wireless AP suddenly freezes. Only after accessing the router and restarting it (the AP) or restarting the entire router will it kick back into life again. Is this indicative of a possible future failure or perfectly 'normal' AP behaviour?

I'm not too bothered as my PC is 'hardwired' and doesn't need the wireless access but Mrs DL's laptop does!

Maybe, as a result of this problem, I was bought a new wireless router for Christmas - N150 Netgear Wireless ADSL2+ DGN1000. Does anyone have any experience of this router and is it easy to setup with my necessary connections ie Freeola. Freeola do publish a Netgear set-up guide, but is this applicable to this particular model?

I don't want to upset my existing setup unless it is advisable or necessary - you know the old adage....if it ain't broke etc etc.

Any comments would be appreciated :¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.