GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"We have the edge..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/03/03 at 19:06
Regular
The PS2 isn't very popular around these areas, but I seriously couldn't care less about what other fanboys think about our beautiful console because I think we actually have the upper hand.

The GameCube is good. It has a very clever design, newly introduced mini-disc games and the reliable stead of creative developers like Shigeru Miyamoto, terribly famous for games like Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion. But other than that I cannot see anything special about this console. It lacks the certain Je ne ses quas and Vava-voom the PS2 has, and it seems far too restricted. Its cool features that allows GBAs to plug into to it and Wavebird wireless pad are very impressive, but not as impressive as a console that remains loyal to its eager fans, always releasing a good quantity of games, of which the majority are decent and of good quality.

The Xbox is also good, in fact it's a great console. It's got an immense performance chip, which preys for fantastic in-game graphics and slick gameplay, and oh yeah, it's got Microsoft. Having THE biggest computing business around cannot be a bad thing, I'll admit, but still it lacks in several essential areas. So far from what I've played, the majority of its titles are rushed and don't even come near to working the console to its true potential. If I was an Xbox owner I would be disappointed by this. I would rather wait for a game to be fully completed with nothing missing than be impatient and ask for it unfinished staright away. Plus, the Xbox's look isn't so modern, I mean it's just too big! I like the game section of my room to look slick and tidy, not cramped and chunky. The control pads are also like beach burgers and the buttons seem to be placed in hard to reach spots. Still, these are little worries because after all Microsoft have extremely clever heads and always come up with new innovative ideas.

The PS2 on the other hand, although it may not have the brains of Miicrosoft backing it, it has the impressive ammunition of brilliant game developers and the majority of gaming fanatics. It's the most popular because it has produced the best games, ie GTA3 and Gran Turismo, and it is always ready to move forward, to create newer and better things for the future. It's got the multi-tap widening multiplayer fun, it's very interactive, attractive and easy to manipulate and what's more it was the first next-gen console, where with all the pressure layed upon it, astonished thousands worldwide with the revolutionary graphics and massively improved gameplay.

Okay, so we may not have Xbox Live!, but we're still going online, and with better multiplayer games. Maybe in the future, Microsoft and Nintendo can overtake this status with games like Smash Bros Melee and Halo 2 gaining capability, but right now I'd say the PS2 and Sony in general were born to go online, especially with games like Destruction Derby 4 on the way.

Quite frankly, I think the PS2 is a delightful piece of machinery that will continue to reign supreme, not only on the sales board, but in general. When people that barely know a thing about gaming start the topic about it, what do they mention first? The Playstation. Sony have managed to greatly establish themselves worldwide, and that alone shows that they can't be as bad as most like to think. Consoles have their droughts of new material every now and then, so what's the difference when the PS2 has it. The PS2 will remain a bold and brilliant centre for entertainment, until its guardian (the PS3) arrives in a few years time.

So quite plainly to you PS2 haters out there, open your eyes and stop hiding the truth, it's a great console. It's got all the essentials: game-enhancing peripherals, stunning performance and most important of all the games it receives from its developers are brilliant on average.

PS: I hope no-one got too upset about a post that speaketh so mucheth trutheth.

Thanks
Thu 27/03/03 at 08:48
"griever"
you do know what je nes se qua means
(it means i dont know)
Wed 26/03/03 at 20:52
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
I'm right. You made the stupid post.
Wed 26/03/03 at 20:48
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
It's over Blokey.
Let it drop.

There's the door...
Wed 26/03/03 at 20:35
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Ròckó wrote:
> El Blokey wrote:
> IT SHOULDN'T EXIST. The PS2 should have four ports, fact.
>
> Fact? Try opinion mate.

So you think when other consoles can do it, PS2 owners should have to pay £20 extra?

> I can't be bothered to reply to the rest of your bogus twisting of my
> words. You say you own a PS2 and yet you only mention the bad points
> about it.

Yes, because I'm countering your stupid points. The PS2 has plenty of pluses.
Wed 26/03/03 at 20:33
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
I didn't really see it as a console war topic, more of a post of appraisal on the PS2's behalf.

But the majority have spoken.
I shall now have some shutup juice.
Wed 26/03/03 at 20:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Agreed FFF.

Idiotic post.
Wed 26/03/03 at 19:41
"period drama"
Yes, blah blah blah.
We could all go back and forth like this for days.

Let's not.

No-one really cares, and those that do will never change their minds.
End of.
Console wars suck hairy man boobs
Wed 26/03/03 at 19:37
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
El Blokey wrote:
> IT SHOULDN'T EXIST. The PS2 should have four ports, fact.

Fact? Try opinion mate.

> What 'unfinished games' are you referring to, by the way? Vaguely saying something and stating it as a con of a machine doesn't cut it, mister

Fuzion Frenzy and Blinx

I can't be bothered to reply to the rest of your bogus twisting of my words. You say you own a PS2 and yet you only mention the bad points about it. The fact of the matter is, whatever you say, the PS2 is supreme in this generation of gaming. Yes, its contenders are also very impressive, but in contrast they don't receive as much appraisal like Sony does. Every year since the PS2 was released, it's been PS2 games that have received the greater look-in, the most interest from gamers. Prove me wrong if you wish, but I will not fall into your crazy habit of twisting people's phrases to negative effect only.
Wed 26/03/03 at 19:21
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Ròckó wrote:
> The PS2 isn't very popular around these areas

This is the PS2 board?

> The GameCube is good. It has a very clever design, newly introduced
> mini-disc games and the reliable stead of creative developers like
> Shigeru Miyamoto, terribly famous for games like Pikmin and Luigi's
> Mansion. But other than that I cannot see anything special about this
> console.

The special thing is you get magnificent 1st and 2nd party games like Zelda:TWW and F-Zero.

> It lacks the certain Je ne ses quas and Vava-voom the PS2
> has, and it seems far too restricted. Its cool features that allows
> GBAs to plug into to it and Wavebird wireless pad are very impressive,
> but not as impressive as a console that remains loyal to its eager
> fans, always releasing a good quantity of games, of which the majority
> are decent and of good quality.

The GC has the best array of original peripherals, bar none. GBA Player, Wavebird, GBA link capable...that beats Sony's "loyal" faulty machinery. And saying the majority of PS2 games are good is stupid.

> So far from what I've
> played, the majority of its titles are rushed and don't even come near
> to working the console to its true potential.

Halo, Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon, Splinter Cell...stop me when you've heard enough. Plenty of games have taken advantage of the hard drive, including Halo with it's minimal loading times and others with rippable CD soundtracks. And all this was done within a year or so of the release. Thanks to Direct X it's easy to utilize which is why its games usually look so much better than the PS2, and visibly better than the GC.

> If I was an Xbox owner I
> would be disappointed by this. I would rather wait for a game to be
> fully completed with nothing missing than be impatient and ask for it
> unfinished staright away.

What 'unfinished games' are you referring to, by the way? Vaguely saying something and stating it as a con of a machine doesn't cut it, mister.

> Plus, the Xbox's look isn't so modern, I
> mean it's just too big!

So, it's big. It's big, and manly, and powerful. Haven't we grown out of the "ROFL I DROPPED AN ECKSBOX AND BROKE MY FEET HEHEHE" stage?

> I like the game section of my room to look
> slick and tidy, not cramped and chunky. The control pads are also like
> beach burgers and the buttons seem to be placed in hard to reach
> spots.

Then buy a controller S, or other third party pad. Or better yet, have your small girly hands checked out.

> The PS2 on the other hand, although it may not have the brains of
> Miicrosoft backing it, it has the impressive ammunition of brilliant
> game developers and the majority of gaming fanatics.

The majority of gaming fanatics hate the PS2 and back Nintendo, but appreciate the Xbox's titles like Halo. The PS2 has the brains of Sony and its shrewd marketing has given it a huge user-base. And really, the PS2 doesn't have many brilliant developers. Games, yes, but not developers. They secure deals like that for GTA, but they do not own Rockstar.

> It's the most
> popular because it has produced the best games, ie GTA3 and Gran
> Turismo, and it is always ready to move forward, to create newer and
> better things for the future.

Like online gaming...no, wait, it's still not here in Europe but Xbox Live is, and the GC can go online. And so could the DC. Oh, and the N64's games p*ssed all over the PS1s...

> It's got the multi-tap widening
> multiplayer fun

IT SHOULDN'T EXIST. The PS2 should have four ports, fact.

> it's very interactive

All consoles are interactive?

> it was the first next-gen console, where
> with all the pressure layed upon it, astonished thousands worldwide
> with the revolutionary graphics

Actually, many were left unimpressed with the sub-DC graphics in the first few months of the PS2's life.

> Okay, so we may not have Xbox Live!, but we're still going online, and
> with better multiplayer games.

What? Better than Halo via a hack, or Halo 2 when it's released?

> Maybe in the future, Microsoft and
> Nintendo can overtake this status with games like Smash Bros Melee and
> Halo 2 gaining capability

DO NOT compare SSBM to Halo. Just...don't.

> but right now I'd say the PS2 and Sony in
> general were born to go online, especially with games like Destruction
> Derby 4 on the way.

XBOX was born to go online, it was made BY Microsoft, pioneers of home computing and in turn online gaming.

> Quite frankly, I think the PS2 is a delightful piece of machinery that
> will continue to reign supreme, not only on the sales board, but in
> general. When people that barely know a thing about gaming start the
> topic about it, what do they mention first? The Playstation. Sony have
> managed to greatly establish themselves worldwide, and that alone
> shows that they can't be as bad as most like to think. Consoles have
> their droughts of new material every now and then, so what's the
> difference when the PS2 has it. The PS2 will remain a bold and
> brilliant centre for entertainment, until its guardian (the PS3)
> arrives in a few years time.

Them arriving first doesn't make them good. They have the strongest brand, yes. That's why it sells more. But it's not "ten tymes bettar than youz".

> So quite plainly to you PS2 haters out there, open your eyes and stop
> hiding the truth, it's a great console. It's got all the essentials:
> game-enhancing peripherals, stunning performance and most important of
> all the games it receives from its developers are brilliant on
> average.

Perhaps if you wanted to stick it to the PS2 hataz you could have put it in Prime or Chat?

And for the record I am a PS2 owner.
Wed 26/03/03 at 19:06
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
The PS2 isn't very popular around these areas, but I seriously couldn't care less about what other fanboys think about our beautiful console because I think we actually have the upper hand.

The GameCube is good. It has a very clever design, newly introduced mini-disc games and the reliable stead of creative developers like Shigeru Miyamoto, terribly famous for games like Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion. But other than that I cannot see anything special about this console. It lacks the certain Je ne ses quas and Vava-voom the PS2 has, and it seems far too restricted. Its cool features that allows GBAs to plug into to it and Wavebird wireless pad are very impressive, but not as impressive as a console that remains loyal to its eager fans, always releasing a good quantity of games, of which the majority are decent and of good quality.

The Xbox is also good, in fact it's a great console. It's got an immense performance chip, which preys for fantastic in-game graphics and slick gameplay, and oh yeah, it's got Microsoft. Having THE biggest computing business around cannot be a bad thing, I'll admit, but still it lacks in several essential areas. So far from what I've played, the majority of its titles are rushed and don't even come near to working the console to its true potential. If I was an Xbox owner I would be disappointed by this. I would rather wait for a game to be fully completed with nothing missing than be impatient and ask for it unfinished staright away. Plus, the Xbox's look isn't so modern, I mean it's just too big! I like the game section of my room to look slick and tidy, not cramped and chunky. The control pads are also like beach burgers and the buttons seem to be placed in hard to reach spots. Still, these are little worries because after all Microsoft have extremely clever heads and always come up with new innovative ideas.

The PS2 on the other hand, although it may not have the brains of Miicrosoft backing it, it has the impressive ammunition of brilliant game developers and the majority of gaming fanatics. It's the most popular because it has produced the best games, ie GTA3 and Gran Turismo, and it is always ready to move forward, to create newer and better things for the future. It's got the multi-tap widening multiplayer fun, it's very interactive, attractive and easy to manipulate and what's more it was the first next-gen console, where with all the pressure layed upon it, astonished thousands worldwide with the revolutionary graphics and massively improved gameplay.

Okay, so we may not have Xbox Live!, but we're still going online, and with better multiplayer games. Maybe in the future, Microsoft and Nintendo can overtake this status with games like Smash Bros Melee and Halo 2 gaining capability, but right now I'd say the PS2 and Sony in general were born to go online, especially with games like Destruction Derby 4 on the way.

Quite frankly, I think the PS2 is a delightful piece of machinery that will continue to reign supreme, not only on the sales board, but in general. When people that barely know a thing about gaming start the topic about it, what do they mention first? The Playstation. Sony have managed to greatly establish themselves worldwide, and that alone shows that they can't be as bad as most like to think. Consoles have their droughts of new material every now and then, so what's the difference when the PS2 has it. The PS2 will remain a bold and brilliant centre for entertainment, until its guardian (the PS3) arrives in a few years time.

So quite plainly to you PS2 haters out there, open your eyes and stop hiding the truth, it's a great console. It's got all the essentials: game-enhancing peripherals, stunning performance and most important of all the games it receives from its developers are brilliant on average.

PS: I hope no-one got too upset about a post that speaketh so mucheth trutheth.

Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.