GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do violent games shape childrens futures ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/03/03 at 21:14
Regular
I am now in my mid 20's and until a few years ago, until he moved away my best friend lived a few doors away. From being young kids, we have always loved computer games and spent many hours playing on the computer rather than homework. There was however one difference. My parents monitored the types of games I played, wheras my best friend was allowed to play whatever he wanted without any inteference. His favourite was shoot-em-ups. I found out last week that my best friend is now in prison facing life after being convicted of 2 counts of murder, one with a deadly fire arm.

Is this coincidence with his upbringing ?

Are some young minds more impressionable than others ?

Are the parents responsible when this type of things happen ?

I would appreciate any comments any of you game players/parents may have as I personally have not made up my mind ?

thanks
Wed 26/03/03 at 21:24
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
No. Not young children. Young children see a tiger on TV and have a nightmare about it that night. Wait until she's old enough to watch scary things and not get scared by them to the point of nightmares/crying/whatever. That's what I would suggest, anyway.
Wed 26/03/03 at 21:22
Regular
At the moment I'd rather not give his name out. My main concerns are that I now have a daughter, fair enough she isn't walking yet, but how will she react when she is faced with violent games for the first time ?

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with playing these games myself, I really enjoy them but do young children appreciate the difference between fantasy and reality and the consequences ?
Wed 26/03/03 at 21:20
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
El Blokey wrote:
> Once I was at an arcade and lost to some kid at Mortal Kombat II, so I
> threw a fireball at him.

That made me smile...

Didn't achieve a 'lol' but it came close!
Wed 26/03/03 at 21:19
Regular
"Party Hard"
Kryten2003 wrote:
>Is this coincidence with his upbringing ?

Nah. Think about it- if you go out killing people after playing a violent game then surely you were going to do it anyway?
Wed 26/03/03 at 21:18
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
If that's true, that's quite, uh, scary.

But I've said this before, and I'll say it again - I don't think games are to blame for what goes on in later lives. I don't think because someone plays a game with knives means they'll go around stabbing people when they're older.
Wed 26/03/03 at 21:17
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Once I was at an arcade and lost to some kid at Mortal Kombat II, so I threw a fireball at him.

That's pretty f'd up that your buddy's in prison though.
Wed 26/03/03 at 21:17
Regular
"Gtag=NOTORIOUS JCP"
there has benn about 1000 topics on this subject?
what was your friend called?
Wed 26/03/03 at 21:14
Regular
I am now in my mid 20's and until a few years ago, until he moved away my best friend lived a few doors away. From being young kids, we have always loved computer games and spent many hours playing on the computer rather than homework. There was however one difference. My parents monitored the types of games I played, wheras my best friend was allowed to play whatever he wanted without any inteference. His favourite was shoot-em-ups. I found out last week that my best friend is now in prison facing life after being convicted of 2 counts of murder, one with a deadly fire arm.

Is this coincidence with his upbringing ?

Are some young minds more impressionable than others ?

Are the parents responsible when this type of things happen ?

I would appreciate any comments any of you game players/parents may have as I personally have not made up my mind ?

thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.