GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Track Editor...'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/03/03 at 12:32
Regular
Everyone loves like track editors, or, for that matter, any kind of 'create-a' mode. You get a certain connection with the game because you have actually made part of it.

Games like TimeSplitters 2, making your own level, complete with missions, and then watching someone trying to tackle it just makes you feel proud that you've taken so long making one level and it's actually worked. While playing historic games for the first time is truly amazing, the 'Track Editor' era is the most amazing experience you can have.

But what if a whole game, just dedicated to making a game that could be deemed 'Yours' was made? I've always wanted to make my own game, I had a good try with DarkBASIC, but being an aspiring programmer is harder than it sounds. The closest I've got is, again, on TimeSplitters 2's MapMaker. So why not have a game, with multi-genres, that is all about the sheer brilliance of making a game that's unique and yours? Well I think it's completely possible.

Playing games like the new 007 games, you just realise how well genre crossing works, they may not be the best games ever, but if any kind of level maker was included, it would be brilliant. This is what a 'Track Editor' game would probably turn out like, only maybe a few more genres. Multiple levels, different mission, all made by you.

The amount of genres could be limitless; fast paced FPS action, high-octane racing, obstacle littered adventures and maybe even a multitude of RPG battles. It's all up to how you set out the game. For example, you could have either an RPG or an adventure game as the 'Home Genre', basically meaning, that's what you start playing as, and from then on include different mini-missions, which span off into multi-genres.

Even developing a storyline would be possible; at certain points, you could trigger writing to come up, slowly forming a plot, and maybe giving hints as to what the final boss may be and puzzles just ahead. All I know is, it would work. Metroid Prime relies entirely on writing to build up a plot, no cut-scenes or mad professor telling you what to do, but what's even better is that it works ten times more effectively than most cut-scene filled games.

But where the possibilities would really lie would be with online gaming. Competitions could be held and maybe a list of ten winning games could be downloaded a month. Just imagine, seeing your game up in lights, it'd feel like you'd just made a new Zelda or GTA game.

Being given certain characters, and certain items to make your game would be a lot more interesting, just making competition that bit harder and, even better, seeing how different your game is to other peoples. Say you get about 10 different bosses, you could choose different attacks for different times and what you actually have to do in that attack sequence. Say a big dragon thing fires 3 fire balls at you then tries to hit you with his tail, maybe making his tail his weak point would be the best idea. It would be great, watching your mates trying to figure out how the hell they beat your very own boss.

Obviously, interaction would be the key to this game, and I think it could well work, and I'm sure many of you will agree. The only problem is, will anything like this ever see the light of day? Let's hope so...

Thanks for reading

RiCkOsS
Sun 20/04/03 at 10:30
Regular
"past,present&future"
I'm not dismissing the idea, and don't mean to be negative, but there's a reason why modern games take teams of fifty people months and years to create.
Sun 20/04/03 at 10:28
Regular
"past,present&future"
The other problem is 'originality', which is a major factor in many successful games.

If the Creation package was good enough to allow 'original concepts' to be created, then I'm sure, any programmer or designer with the ability for do that, would be far too busy churning out their own award winning, original games.
Sun 20/04/03 at 10:25
Regular
"past,present&future"
People!

On the C64 there was 'Shoot Em Up Construction Kit' by Sensible Software, which allowed you to effortlessly make Vertical and Static screen shoot 'em up, with proper control over absolutely everything.

Only problem was the created games tended to lack random factors, to be too linear.

Still, it was great fun, and I spent a summer with friends knocking some games together.

Defo the best of the type I've seen.
Fri 28/03/03 at 21:49
"Uzi Lover"
It's a good idea but I don't think it's 'mainstream' enough.

Most people don't want to sit around making their own games. Instead they'd rather sit, be lazy and wait for some guys to produce something which kicks. Something they couldn't do.

I think some of the stuff like 'Make your own games top ten' actually happen over the internet. But thats more for people who actually are really getting into making games and not a simple user friendly system which would need to be done in a mainstream game.

When time moves on we may see editors in games on consoles become a big thing which can be shared. Thats the main word, 'Share'. It's like music which you can let other people listne to easily online now.
Thu 27/03/03 at 13:42
Regular
"Boosh! Checkmate!"
It is definately editors in games that give them more playability.

The American gamers spent loads of time creating new levels for single and multiplayer use on Duke Nukem 3D. Although the levels took more time to create than on modern level editors, the levels could look and interact exactly how you wanted them to - very few limitations!

If there was a game, or software of some sort, that could allow you to easily create a decent game to chellenge yourself, and others, as well as allow for transferring to other systems...I think it would sell really well.
Thu 27/03/03 at 12:32
Regular
Everyone loves like track editors, or, for that matter, any kind of 'create-a' mode. You get a certain connection with the game because you have actually made part of it.

Games like TimeSplitters 2, making your own level, complete with missions, and then watching someone trying to tackle it just makes you feel proud that you've taken so long making one level and it's actually worked. While playing historic games for the first time is truly amazing, the 'Track Editor' era is the most amazing experience you can have.

But what if a whole game, just dedicated to making a game that could be deemed 'Yours' was made? I've always wanted to make my own game, I had a good try with DarkBASIC, but being an aspiring programmer is harder than it sounds. The closest I've got is, again, on TimeSplitters 2's MapMaker. So why not have a game, with multi-genres, that is all about the sheer brilliance of making a game that's unique and yours? Well I think it's completely possible.

Playing games like the new 007 games, you just realise how well genre crossing works, they may not be the best games ever, but if any kind of level maker was included, it would be brilliant. This is what a 'Track Editor' game would probably turn out like, only maybe a few more genres. Multiple levels, different mission, all made by you.

The amount of genres could be limitless; fast paced FPS action, high-octane racing, obstacle littered adventures and maybe even a multitude of RPG battles. It's all up to how you set out the game. For example, you could have either an RPG or an adventure game as the 'Home Genre', basically meaning, that's what you start playing as, and from then on include different mini-missions, which span off into multi-genres.

Even developing a storyline would be possible; at certain points, you could trigger writing to come up, slowly forming a plot, and maybe giving hints as to what the final boss may be and puzzles just ahead. All I know is, it would work. Metroid Prime relies entirely on writing to build up a plot, no cut-scenes or mad professor telling you what to do, but what's even better is that it works ten times more effectively than most cut-scene filled games.

But where the possibilities would really lie would be with online gaming. Competitions could be held and maybe a list of ten winning games could be downloaded a month. Just imagine, seeing your game up in lights, it'd feel like you'd just made a new Zelda or GTA game.

Being given certain characters, and certain items to make your game would be a lot more interesting, just making competition that bit harder and, even better, seeing how different your game is to other peoples. Say you get about 10 different bosses, you could choose different attacks for different times and what you actually have to do in that attack sequence. Say a big dragon thing fires 3 fire balls at you then tries to hit you with his tail, maybe making his tail his weak point would be the best idea. It would be great, watching your mates trying to figure out how the hell they beat your very own boss.

Obviously, interaction would be the key to this game, and I think it could well work, and I'm sure many of you will agree. The only problem is, will anything like this ever see the light of day? Let's hope so...

Thanks for reading

RiCkOsS

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.