GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The PlayStation 2: My Impressions"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/12/01 at 19:52
Regular
Ever since the days of the NES, i've had a Nintendo console... I had a Mega-Drive next to my SNES and an N64. I'd always been happy with Nintendo, but I knew I must have been missing something...

About a month ago, some of the bias was driven out of me, and I bought a PS2... here's what I think.

The console itself isn't that bad... it's a touch big, but when you have it standing up next to the TV, you hardly notice it! It's quite a quick machine... about the same as the DC at the end of the day.

The DVD in the console is pretty good, and using the Controller is nowhere near as hard as people make out... DVD playback is great... and it can do exactly the same job as a £300 DVD player by my books.

The loading times that have always plagued CD/DVD format consoles isn't as bad now. I played SSX at launch and the loading times weren't great, but developers have learnt from past games... and although the loading times are only a few seconds quicker on SSX Tricky, they're covered by a cool cut-scene. Loading times also depend of the developer... inexperienced developers like Fox Interactive obviously had trouble with The Simpson's Road Rage... the loading times are dire! Yet in games like Jak and Daxter - there are no in-game loading times! And the menu ones are almost unnoticeable!

The games themselves are great... sure there's no Mario, and no Zelda, and even no Rare... but Sony have talented 2nd party developers as well, and their games are just about in the same league as Rare. I currently own GTA3, SSX Tricky, Pro Evolution Soccer and Jak and Daxter and i'm not dissapointed with any of them... GTA3 is brilliant, as good as people say! Pro Evo is the best footy game out, and even the ninties amongst you know that football games were always best on Playstation... even if the graphics were crap! SSX Tricky is great... it is an update of the first, so I wouldn't recommend it to owners of Snowboard Supercross, but for a PS2 newbie, it's a perfect blend of graphics, gameplay, single and multi-player fun. Jak and Daxter is probably the best game I have. The platforming is indeed something Rare would be proud of... it's very traditional, in that there is a lot of collecting to do, but the puzzles and numerous hints of innovation are plenty, and the mini-games are ingenius... there aren't loads of moves, but there doesn't need to be.

To be honest, I still don't like the PSX... the graphics, to someone who was used to Rare games and Nintendo Classics, just weren't kosher... the games took too long to load, and they were hardly worth playing as it was.

But the PS2 is completely different. The load times, as i've said, are much better, the graphics are fine with fluid animation... the DVD player is great, and overall the console is very impressive.

Of course, if you want the Nintendo Franchises on your Next-Gen console, you'll have to go with the Gamecube... and if you think there's too many kiddie games on the PS2 even for a PlayStation console, you might need and X-Box, but if you're after quality games, you can't go wrong with the PS2... it's got the biggest library around, loads of developers are on board, and the Next-Gen versions of all the games your mates had back in 1998 are twice as good with graphics that would make anyone smile...

Honestly, I'm a Ninty, and the PS2 is a very decent platform... you're the only one losing out by being bias!

Game
Sat 08/12/01 at 23:31
Regular
True, walking around Links home town is pritty crap...but it comes into its own when you get out.
Sat 08/12/01 at 23:20
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
How far did you get in OoT?

It is really boring to begin with. But as soon as you get into Hyrule field, it becomes amazing.
Sat 08/12/01 at 23:10
Regular
Sometimes change is good. Just another update of the N64 Zelda games woudnt have been as good, somthin new and different is more likely to impress us. DOnt be put off by the look of it alone.
Sat 08/12/01 at 23:09
Please don't have a go at me for this, but I really didn't like Zelda OOT that much. I played it for a while, and got bored. I don't know why I didn't like it, as these sort of games normally appeal to me, but, I just didn't like.

Maybe I should have taken more time with it.
Sat 08/12/01 at 23:07
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
CXertainly does.

As does Ocarina of Time which also got 10.

In my opinion, that is the best game ever made and will not be beaten for quite some time. Not even MGS2.

And I dunno if the new GC Zeldas will beat it either. I can't help but be disappointed at that change. CHANGE IT BACK! Please...
Sat 08/12/01 at 23:00
Hmmm, 7.9. Pretty good I suppose, but maybe not as good as I had hoped. But still, maybe I'll wait till closer to launch before I make my decision.

Perfect Dark - Brilliant game. Deserves 10 out of 10.
Sat 08/12/01 at 22:47
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Goten wrote:
> The problem is, I have looked into the X-box, and Dead or Alive 3 looks and
> sounds brilliant. I loved Dead or Alive 2, so I am really interested in this
> game. But, I have not seen any other game that I like, and I don't want to go
> spending my money on a console when I only really like the one game (at the
> moment).

You should really take a look on Gamespot.com.

That's great for news on games and consoles. DOA3 got 7.9 out of 10 I think. Not bad, but it says it lacked depth....rather like DOA2 on the DC I think.

Halo on the other hand, got 9.7.

But Perfect Dark got 10. Nur nur X-Boxians. :-D
Sat 08/12/01 at 22:40
Regular
good stuff game, I was the same as you. Totally full of Nintendo bias. But i realised how stupid i really was, and went out to see what all the fuss was about.

I do feel however that you are over praising the PS2.
Sat 08/12/01 at 22:34
The problem is, I have looked into the X-box, and Dead or Alive 3 looks and sounds brilliant. I loved Dead or Alive 2, so I am really interested in this game. But, I have not seen any other game that I like, and I don't want to go spending my money on a console when I only really like the one game (at the moment).
Sat 08/12/01 at 22:27
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Yeah, I played WRC for a few minutes in Currys.

It seemed really good. Graphics were great. Outside the car view made it impossible to play (always oversteering) but inside was amazingly good fun.

Anyway, I will be getting a GameCube as well. Just a bit later than I planned. I don't really want an X-Box. Halo looks great, but that's about it. Admittedly, I haven't really looked into it though. I thought the Ps2 looked crap before I looked into it and that caused me great competition between it and GC. So I refuse to look into X-Box or it may stop me from getting a GC. Which I really REALLY want. :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.